U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Newyorkers knowing what you no about newyork where would u rather live??
The Bronx 10 52.63%
Brooklyn 9 47.37%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-10-2009, 05:37 PM
 
6 posts, read 14,898 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hey I have been checking out this site for a few days and thought id post on here...me and my pops have been thinking of moving to nyc...I live in arizona now and hate it..Im from the eastcoast though, Providence and ct and have alot of family in ct..But we want to move to nyc to get a new start..My dad is looking for a job in medical coding or medical reception, and wants to have a job before moving to nyc..Im 20 and figured i would look for a job once we got there..We are looking for a afordable apartment in The bronx Or Brooklyn With a budget of about 1500 hundred a mounth is this possible to find in a decent area??Im not to worried about the neiborhood as long as its not to crazy,being from the east I no to mind my business and stay on my P's and Q's??

Any other advice you have for a 20 year old and his dad moving to nyc for a new start??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-10-2009, 06:20 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn, New York
4,116 posts, read 2,734,450 times
Reputation: 1517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperchase100 View Post
Hey I have been checking out this site for a few days and thought id post on here...me and my pops have been thinking of moving to nyc...I live in arizona now and hate it..Im from the eastcoast though, Providence and ct and have alot of family in ct..But we want to move to nyc to get a new start..My dad is looking for a job in medical coding or medical reception, and wants to have a job before moving to nyc..Im 20 and figured i would look for a job once we got there..We are looking for a afordable apartment in The bronx Or Brooklyn With a budget of about 1500 hundred a mounth is this possible to find in a decent area??Im not to worried about the neiborhood as long as its not to crazy,being from the east I no to mind my business and stay on my P's and Q's??

Any other advice you have for a 20 year old and his dad moving to nyc for a new start??

I live in Brooklyn and I would have to say Queens Forget about the nasty Bronx and Brooklyn is no better
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2009, 06:29 PM
 
Location: Beautiful Pelham Parkway,The Bronx
8,389 posts, read 19,647,270 times
Reputation: 6215
Lots of great,inexpensive neighborhoods in The Bronx close to big Hospital complexes.

Pelham Parkway,Morris Park,Pelham Gardens and Pelham Bay are all very close( walk) to Jacobi and Woodlawn,Norwood,Bedford Park and Van Cortlandt Village are all nice and close to Montefiore.

You will be able to find really nice 2 br apts ( maybe 3 br's) in these neighborhoods for $1,500 close to subways,parks and shopping,etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2009, 07:16 PM
 
6 posts, read 14,898 times
Reputation: 10
thanks bluedog. I'm guessing u live or have lived in the Bronx???how far are those neiboorhoods from manhattan?? But yea I bacically fell in love with the Bronx when I went there it was providence on barry bonds juice. The shops bodegas puerto rican girls dayumm I wanna move right now lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2009, 07:28 PM
 
6 posts, read 14,898 times
Reputation: 10
ya not feeling Brooklyn to much Ortega??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2009, 07:42 PM
 
Location: Beautiful Pelham Parkway,The Bronx
8,389 posts, read 19,647,270 times
Reputation: 6215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperchase100 View Post
thanks bluedog. I'm guessing u live or have lived in the Bronx???how far are those neiboorhoods from manhattan?? But yea I bacically fell in love with the Bronx when I went there it was providence on barry bonds juice. The shops bodegas puerto rican girls dayumm I wanna move right now lol
I live in the Pelham Parkway area two blocks from the subway.It usually takes about 30 mins to midtown(East or West) because I can take either the 2 (7th ave) or the 5 ( Lex).All the neighborhoods I mentioned are about 25 to 30 or 35 mins to midtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2009, 07:54 PM
 
6 posts, read 14,898 times
Reputation: 10
Thats cool. So how are the neiborhoods u mentioned alot of cultures?? You think there would be alot of entry level jobs around there for me ??I want to find a job an get into a small school or something. Tell me more about those areas?? you said the apartments were in like warehouse type buildings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2009, 06:59 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn
40,057 posts, read 29,737,967 times
Reputation: 10455
Advice, you say? Try this: looking for a job once you get here isn't the best of all possible ideas. You really ought to have something lined up.

As to location, I recuse myself from the deliberations on the grounds that I'm completely biased in favor of my home borough, Brooklyn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2009, 10:41 AM
 
8,750 posts, read 15,567,530 times
Reputation: 4168
I am also biased in favor of my borough, the Bronx. However I would like to say that Bluedog you are delusional if you believe it is a 30 minute commute to midtown from Pelham Parkway. I live in Mott Haven, at the very southern portion of the Bronx, and my commute to midtown is 30 minutes. (And by midtown I am counting 59th street.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2009, 11:33 AM
 
Location: Beautiful Pelham Parkway,The Bronx
8,389 posts, read 19,647,270 times
Reputation: 6215
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I am also biased in favor of my borough, the Bronx. However I would like to say that Bluedog you are delusional if you believe it is a 30 minute commute to midtown from Pelham Parkway. I live in Mott Haven, at the very southern portion of the Bronx, and my commute to midtown is 30 minutes. (And by midtown I am counting 59th street.)
The running time on the 2 from Pelham Parkway to 42nd Street(Times Sq)) is usually 35 mins.The running time on the 5 to 42nd( Lex) is usually a little less... 32 mins.
The running time on the 2 from 149th St ( last stop in The Bronx) to 42nd St (Times Sq) is about 23 mins.The running time on the 5 from 149th St to Grand Central is 22 mins. So ,it does take 10 to 15 mins longer to get to 42 St from Pelham Parkway than from the South Bronx but I wouldn't call my estimate of 30 to 35 " delusional."

I usually go to Chelsea every Thurs evening to go to gallery openings and I almost always make it from inside my apartment to 23rd Street in 45 mins.That is generally what I allow from door to door so to speak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top