U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-11-2009, 11:35 AM
 
1 posts, read 2,392 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

im a 23 year old female hoping to move to brooklyn soon. i don't know the are very well so i don't really know what to expect. im actually going to view a couple places tomorrow- one is on lincoln rd and flatbush ave. the other is on eastern parkway and bedford ave. could someone please tell me how safe or dangerous these areas are? thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-11-2009, 12:11 PM
 
10,612 posts, read 20,745,224 times
Reputation: 8155
I can't really comment that well since it's been 3 years since I've been to the first location, but the area of the first is considered to be Prospect Lefferts Gardens and that location is close to the Prospect Park B/Q stop. The Times just did a profile on that neighborhood this past Sunday in the RE section. I like that area because it's got good transportation, is right next to the park and is not overpriced. However, I do think there are pockets of drug activity near there and whatever generally accompanies that kind of activity.

The other area is (I think) considered Crown Heights. I prefer the first location in Lefferts Gardens. But maybe someone who lives there now can give you more specific details. Also, have you looked at the Brooklynian?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2009, 07:40 AM
 
Location: Confines of the 101 Precinct
19,156 posts, read 32,695,448 times
Reputation: 7578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I can't really comment that well since it's been 3 years since I've been to the first location, but the area of the first is considered to be Prospect Lefferts Gardens and that location is close to the Prospect Park B/Q stop. The Times just did a profile on that neighborhood this past Sunday in the RE section. I like that area because it's got good transportation, is right next to the park and is not overpriced. However, I do think there are pockets of drug activity near there and whatever generally accompanies that kind of activity.

The other area is (I think) considered Crown Heights. I prefer the first location in Lefferts Gardens. But maybe someone who lives there now can give you more specific details. Also, have you looked at the Brooklynian?
Henna you're right, Bedford Avenue and Eastern Parkway is Crown Heights. I would say that the Bedford Avenue location is a little safer, but not by much.
__________________
"The man who sleeps on the floor, can never fall out of bed." -Martin Lawrence

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2009, 08:14 PM
 
Location: Crown Heights
965 posts, read 2,106,740 times
Reputation: 518
Lincoln Rd. and Flatbush shouldn't be bad. Correct me if I'm wrong but thats north of Eastern pkwy and over there by Grand Army plaza isn't it? More like, Prospect Heights?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2009, 08:30 PM
 
10,612 posts, read 20,745,224 times
Reputation: 8155
Quote:
Originally Posted by twist07 View Post
Lincoln Rd. and Flatbush shouldn't be bad. Correct me if I'm wrong but thats north of Eastern pkwy and over there by Grand Army plaza isn't it? More like, Prospect Heights?
This address is in/near Prospect Lefferts Gardens, a full mile south of Grand Army Plaza, about 10 blocks south of Eastern Parkway. Pretty sure you are thinking of Lincoln Place, not Lincoln Rd. -- two different neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2009, 03:20 AM
 
Location: Confines of the 101 Precinct
19,156 posts, read 32,695,448 times
Reputation: 7578
Quote:
Originally Posted by twist07 View Post
Lincoln Rd. and Flatbush shouldn't be bad. Correct me if I'm wrong but thats north of Eastern pkwy and over there by Grand Army plaza isn't it? More like, Prospect Heights?
i consider lincoln road and flatbush ave still flatbush
__________________
"The man who sleeps on the floor, can never fall out of bed." -Martin Lawrence

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2009, 06:18 PM
 
Location: Crown Heights
965 posts, read 2,106,740 times
Reputation: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
This address is in/near Prospect Lefferts Gardens, a full mile south of Grand Army Plaza, about 10 blocks south of Eastern Parkway. Pretty sure you are thinking of Lincoln Place, not Lincoln Rd. -- two different neighborhoods.
I stand corrected, I ALWAYS get those two mixed up. And 7th do you really consider that flatbush? My cousins are from Flatbush and they used to consider everything north of Clarkson; Kings County Hospital, Crown Heights, now they consider it Prospect Lefferts, but not necessarily Flatbush.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2009, 07:04 PM
 
Location: Confines of the 101 Precinct
19,156 posts, read 32,695,448 times
Reputation: 7578
Quote:
Originally Posted by twist07 View Post
I stand corrected, I ALWAYS get those two mixed up. And 7th do you really consider that flatbush? My cousins are from Flatbush and they used to consider everything north of Clarkson; Kings County Hospital, Crown Heights, now they consider it Prospect Lefferts, but not necessarily Flatbush.
yeah i consider PLG a part of flatbush. so my boundaries are:

north = empire blvd
east = nostrand ave
west = coney island ave
south = avenue H

crown heights is:

north = atlantic ave
south = empire blvd
east = buffalo ave
west = washington ave
__________________
"The man who sleeps on the floor, can never fall out of bed." -Martin Lawrence

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2009, 08:59 PM
 
Location: Crown Heights
965 posts, read 2,106,740 times
Reputation: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
yeah i consider PLG a part of flatbush. so my boundaries are:

north = empire blvd
east = nostrand ave
west = coney island ave
south = avenue H

crown heights is:

north = atlantic ave
south = empire blvd
east = buffalo ave
west = washington ave
I can see that, and to the op, the choices you got aren't too bad, unless you haven't checked them out already, please hit us back and let us know what you think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2009, 09:57 AM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA
926 posts, read 1,862,051 times
Reputation: 718
I think both those areas are fine. Crown Heights (where Bedford @ Eastern Pkway is) had been in the news for some random violent crime, but to me crime in the news is consistently sensationalized. Violence in any hood is much less frequent than we think and the odds are we will not be affected by it. So you should be fine in either area.

Eastern Parkway is an attractive artery extending from the southeast parts of BK closer to the beach all the way to Grand Army Plaza in the northwest. With that, it can provide an easy, convenient route to Manhattan and BK attractions like Prospect Park, the Brooklyn Museum, and the main Brooklyn library. The 4 and 5 subway line along Eastern Parkway is a great, express line that is especially convenient if you're going to be on the east side of Manhattan often.

Neither of these areas are rich in nightlife, but their convenience to areas of Brooklyn that are more vibrant compensates for that a bit. I would personally prefer Eastern Pkwy, as Flatbush Ave on the other side of Prospect Park, where Lincoln Rd is, just has too much going on of things I'm not interested in (I'm more buppie and Flatbush is far from that). The only comparison I can think of is a marketplace in some developing country that's always busy for no reason-- cheap discount stores, bodegas, shouting dollar cab drivers that are weaving in and out of traffic unnecessarily, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top