Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 03:46 PM

15 posts, read 75,052 times

Advertisements

I am currently living in London, England and I am planning to move to NYC in the autumn. I have been looking on several websites to get an idea as to what areas I can afford (looking to pay at most $1400/month) but I do not see many places with a washing machine! Is it uncommon to have a w/machine in an apartment? If an apartment does not have a washing machine, is it fairly easy to get permission to have one installed?

I've only had to use a laundrymat once when I first moved to London but I can't remember if it's possible to select a specific setting such as just using the spin cycle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2007, 04:56 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,938,417 times
Rental apartments, by and large, don't have washers and dryers in the apartment. Those are either in the basement or not on premises (there are usually lots of laundromats).

In coops and condos it varies. In some buildings they're permitted, in others they're not....due to concerns about leaks. Happily, in my building they're permitted, so when I renovated, I put in a washer and dryer. No more basement washers for us!

Old 05-13-2007, 06:00 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,367,797 times
Yeah I haven't seen many places that have washers/dryers in the apartment.

If a building doesn't have washing machines, then there is usually a laundromat right around the corner. Just remember to get one of those laundry carts, as carrying a lot of laundry down the street can be quite heavy.

Old 05-13-2007, 11:46 PM

1,174 posts, read 5,902,412 times
If you have a closet that's large enough to hide it in and you spend the extra for a portable machine.... well, it's possible.

Old 05-14-2007, 09:09 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,241,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmurphy View Post
I am currently living in London, England and I am planning to move to NYC in the autumn. I have been looking on several websites to get an idea as to what areas I can afford (looking to pay at most $1400/month) but I do not see many places with a washing machine! Is it uncommon to have a w/machine in an apartment? If an apartment does not have a washing machine, is it fairly easy to get permission to have one installed?

I've only had to use a laundrymat once when I first moved to London but I can't remember if it's possible to select a specific setting such as just using the spin cycle?
It is difficult to find an apartment that allows Laundry machines within the actual apartment. Even if they did allow it, the size of most NYC apartments makes it difficult to have a washing machine. Some buildings have laundry machines in the basement areas, but this is rare also. Most people use laundromats. They are fine, and give you a chance to meet some nice neighbors. The only thing I hate about laundromats is that in the winter it can really be a hassle, unless the laundromat is right near your building.

Most laundromats now have drop off services available as well. They usually charge around 60-65 cents a pound. This comes in handy if you really don't want to waste a few hours of your life cleaning your clothes.

Old 05-14-2007, 10:47 AM

646 posts, read 1,610,532 times
It is uncommon to find a washing machine and dryer in apartments.

It is even more uncommon to get permission to install one.

Old 05-14-2007, 11:50 AM

Sorry, but MOST Manhattan buildings, at least, have washers in the basement. I know NOBODY who ever goes to a laundromat in Manhattan. That may be true for some of the other boroughs, but not Manhattan.

Old 05-14-2007, 01:35 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,798,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Sorry, but MOST Manhattan buildings, at least, have washers in the basement. I know NOBODY who ever goes to a laundromat in Manhattan. That may be true for some of the other boroughs, but not Manhattan.
Uh... Harlem, Washington Heights? Laundromats everywhere. Even the LES.

Old 05-14-2007, 02:26 PM

I didn't say there were no laundromats. I just said that most larger buildings have machines in the basement. Yup, even in Washington Heights where I lived in the neighborhood when I was in medical school. And THAT wasn't even a big building!

Old 05-14-2007, 04:12 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,241,325 times
I don't know about most. Like Hustla pointed out there are laundromats everywhere. They are there for a reason. Even in the fancier neighborhoods in NYC, I've seen plenty of buildings that don't have laundry facilities on premise and don't allow machines either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: