U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2009, 08:14 PM

7 posts, read 31,792 times

Advertisements

ok so here is my situation.

my dad bought a car from this guy with cash and everything was fine, the title was transferred over to my dad's name and everything.

now we want to sell this car to someone else. Since we lost the vehicle title, we got a duplicate copy. However, we were told that we cannot sell the car because there is a lien on the vehicle.

The thing is when the guy first sold the car to my dad, there was no lien on the title because if there was then the guy wouldn't have been able to sell the car to my dad in the first place.

so the question is, what can i do to remove the lien? do you think this is just an error on the dmv records?

i know i can remove it if i have a letter from the lienholder but shouldnt the dmv have that already, since the guy was already able to sell the car to my dad?

if anyone have any advice i'll really appreciated it!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 08:22 PM

8,389 posts, read 19,636,575 times
Sounds like your dad got scammed. There was a piece on TV recently about how people get scammed constantly with these car scammers and then wind up losing the vehicles and all their money.They sell the cars with fake titles for cash.Hope that is not the case.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:30 PM

7 posts, read 31,792 times
oh, i hope he didnt get scammed with a fake title. but we owned the car for about a year now. and if the title was fake wouldnt the dmv stop us immediately when we went to get the vehicle transferred?

anyhow thanks for the heads up! =)

Old 08-18-2013, 10:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,688 times
I own a fifth wheel trailer and have 55k of equity in it. I have a joint loan with myX fiancé for the balance of about 20 k. she has absolutely not a penny invested in the trailer and would like to sell it. she has the title, I have the trailer in my possession. We live in New York State. Please, what can I do to stop her from selling my trailer? Sincerely, Phil 518.231.6744 anytime Please!

Old 08-19-2013, 02:24 PM

30,343 posts, read 31,219,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil63 View Post
I own a fifth wheel trailer and have 55k of equity in it. I have a joint loan with myX fiancé for the balance of about 20 k. she has absolutely not a penny invested in the trailer and would like to sell it. she has the title, I have the trailer in my possession. We live in New York State. Please, what can I do to stop her from selling my trailer? Sincerely, Phil 518.231.6744 anytime Please!
Whose name is on the title? If it is in her name only then she can sell it. If it is both your names that she can't sell it.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:54 PM

8,389 posts, read 19,636,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil63;31023565

[B
I own a fifth wheel trailer[/b] .................... she has the title.......
You don't own it if the title is in her name,she does.It doesn't matter who paid for it.It only matters whose name is on the title.

Old 08-19-2013, 03:38 PM

3,445 posts, read 4,829,469 times
Contact a lienhold auctioneer that deals with the dmv. They can run a search and see what you are dealing with
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City