U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2009, 06:26 AM

11 posts, read 35,510 times

Advertisements

Hello... im looking for a 2 bedroom apartment in the bronx that accepts section 8 and doesn't require a broker's fee. Im looking to move in the pelham parkway, allerton, bronx park east, bedford park, kingsbridge, fordham, or woodlawn section of the bronx. I've tried craigslist, kijiji, and I could go on and on. Im just trying to see if anyone know's of any available apartments that's accepting section 8. It seems that no one is accepting it now-a-days. I currently reside in the south bronx and im desperately trying to move out, im aiming for december or january. If anyone knows of any vacancies where I can avoid a broker's fee it would be greatly appreciated. FYI: Im a student and my husband is employed and we have 2 small children. Thank you in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 05:05 PM

8,389 posts, read 19,628,289 times
I guess it's not impossible but will be very difficult especially in some of the neighborhoods that you mentioned.The sad fact is that so many landlords had bad experiences with section 8 tenants that many have turned against the program.Sad that a relatively few bad apples turned people against the program.

A few years back many landlords had difficulty renting apartments at decent rents because nobody wanted to live in The Bronx so it made more sense for them to rent out to section 8 and get a guaranteed income.

Things have changed a lot in the last 5 years or so as more and more NY'ers are discovering that the Bronx isn't really as bad as they thought and that the rents are still considerably lower than other sections of the city.As a result most apartments in decent neighborhoods get rented rather quickly at market rates and the landlords no longer have to worry about vacancies.This gives them another reason not to deal with section 8 .They don't have to so why take the risk ?

Best way to find a no fee apartment in NY (section 8 or not) is to walk around a neighborhood and look for the vacancy signs on the front or side of a building.Usually they state whether it is a studio,1,2 or 3 br either with a phone number to call or say " see superintendent".

Old 11-12-2009, 05:27 PM

11 posts, read 35,510 times
Thank you bluedog

Old 11-13-2009, 08:45 AM

8,750 posts, read 15,555,711 times
I agree unfortunately. The Southern Bronx is really ground zero for section 8 apartments for literally decades. But since the city (and the Southern Bronx) has changed over the last 5 years, I see significantly less Landlords in the South Bronx (including myself and neighbors) renting to section 8. The hassle of dealing with the monumental bureacracy (as a Landlord), less than stellar tenants (to put it nicely), and the flood of "regular working folks" moving into the area means we don't have to take section 8 any longer.

It sucks for the few decent section 8 tenants out there, but there are way too many bad eggs, and dealing with the city is a nightmare, nevermind the fact that the rents are not really guaranteed. As a result, if you are having trouble finding section 8 apts in the Southern Bronx, I can only imagine it is near impossible everywhere else.

However, many families in your shoes are finding much success transferring their vouchers to another state, like Pennsylvania, Georgia, North/South Carolina, and Florida. They have a much better quality of life for them and their families, better schools, clean air, better neighborhoods, and a way out of the cycle of poverty. Talk to you case manager about transferring out of NYC..you will be happy you did.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:51 PM

1 posts, read 6,593 times
ooh please. these landlords are renting ****ed up apts!! section 8 requires an inspecton ever year and lanadlords are too dam cheap to fix ****

Old 05-19-2010, 09:54 PM

461 posts, read 1,765,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by online123 View Post
ooh please. these landlords are renting ****ed up apts!! section 8 requires an inspecton ever year and lanadlords are too dam cheap to fix ****

That's not the reason why landlords are NOT renting to section 8 people. The main reason is the majority of the section 8 tenants in NY are GHETTO and "hood". They don't know how to act so now they have to pay the price for their animal like behavior. Serves them good. Real talk...like it or not.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:51 AM

1 posts, read 3,817 times
Default searching for 2 or 3 br section 8 apt in the Bronx or Manhattan area

Hello I am in search of a 2 or 3 br section 8 apt my voucher is for 3 br I have se tion 8 with pa I am looking to move as soon as possible. I am an excellent tenant thank you in advance.

Old 12-07-2015, 11:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,301 times
Its sad that this is how a section 8 tenent is viewed and as if land lords are pure angels and not of Ghetto standards , at this moment ive lived in my apartment for 5 yrs i have violations and the landlord wont due repairs mind u no heat n hot water but MY RENT IS PAID.so now i have to move. So i guess that makes me Ghetto huh and my land lord os amazing smh were all labeled by a bad experience i guess i should label landlords as well. But im to grown with a sound mind to such a thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or