U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2009, 05:47 PM

40,057 posts, read 29,713,783 times

Advertisements

The idea that people are actually going out of their way to see into your windows is definitely creepy. On the other hand, if you leave your curtains or window blinds open, you're not really concerned about this.

When I was a conductor on the subway, I occasionally worked the M line. At a particular point on the line on the Queens side of the Brooklyn-Queens border (I won't tell you precisely where), there was an apartment where a woman was known to go about her business naked. Many of the train crews--as well as plenty of passengers who rode the train through that neighborhood--knew about her. And for her part, she always had her curtains wide open.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 05:57 PM

8,389 posts, read 19,623,816 times
SobroGuy,
I guess you haven't heard about the hotel on the High Line where strollers watch people having sex in the hotel from the park.
GUESTS AT THE STANDARD HOTEL PERFORM SEXUAL ACTS VISIBLE TO PUBLIC

Old 11-12-2009, 06:44 PM

2,386 posts, read 5,276,582 times
I can't lie, if there is a really hot girl then I won't be able to help but peep. Fortunately for that hot girl and unfortunately for me I haven't had the pleasure of peeping on a beautiful lady.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:34 PM

215 posts, read 734,188 times
LOL, I like how this thread is bringing out all the creeps, but I guess it's nice that they're at least being honest. Now I'll be sure to keep all my blinds shut if/when I decide to relocate to NYC.

As earlier mentioned, it's one thing to just see something/someone from living in such close quarters.... but to actually sit there and watch someone going about their business in the privacy of their own home is wrong. Not at all is it artsy, profound or cute - just straight-up creepy. I can enjoy people-watching just as much as the next person but I do it outside in public (with nothing perverted in mind), not when they're inside their house.

Old 11-12-2009, 08:45 PM

648 posts, read 2,612,945 times

YouTube - Rear Window trailer (Alfred Hitchcock)

check out the movie "rear window" !!

Old 11-12-2009, 09:08 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,128,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
The idea that people are actually going out of their way to see into your windows is definitely creepy. On the other hand, if you leave your curtains or window blinds open, you're not really concerned about this.

When I was a conductor on the subway, I occasionally worked the M line. At a particular point on the line on the Queens side of the Brooklyn-Queens border (I won't tell you precisely where), there was an apartment where a woman was known to go about her business naked. Many of the train crews--as well as plenty of passengers who rode the train through that neighborhood--knew about her. And for her part, she always had her curtains wide open.
Is it worth the ride? LOL, jk.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:25 PM

146 posts, read 539,133 times
I think I know where that might have been. I frequently rode the M train around there (I grew up off the Flushing Avenue stop, and lived near the Knickerbocker Ave. stop after getting married), and I used to hear talk about "the show" involving some woman.

Old 11-13-2009, 01:32 AM

15,690 posts, read 34,684,028 times
I lived in NYC for a few years, but never had that situation. Actually whenever I've looked out a window, I've become quickly self-conscious that others might be looking at me looking out my window. SO....it makes me not want to look out it. So, I guess I'd be one of the ones who DIDN'T look out the windows, not that I'd find it crazy or outlandish. If you have interesting streets and things going on, I think it would be difficult not to peer out it at times.

I'm living in Japan now, and I do have neighbors who could probably look into my apartment, but I've never seen into theirs - their blinds are down, etc., so I'm not even sure who they are. But in the summer, I'm not often wearing much myself, so wondering how much of a show I'm giving...hmm.

Old 11-13-2009, 07:22 AM

40,057 posts, read 29,713,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
Is it worth the ride? LOL, jk.
There was also a building on McDonald Avenue along the F line in Brooklyn, where two young women used to suntan naked on the roof. Believe me when I tell you, all the passengers on the F train moved over to one side of the train when passing that building! (I think they may have moved elsewhere, as that particular summertime theater is no longer being performed).

By the way, whichever line you take, it's always worth the ride. The cast of characters puts anything network television can dream up to shame.

P.S. to Sambazon: if you think this isn't going on in San Diego, your sunglasses are too dark. New York City hasn't got exclusive rights to people who watch other people on the sly.

Old 11-13-2009, 07:56 AM

8,750 posts, read 15,552,768 times
Bluedog that was not reinforcing any "NYC way of life", that was a marketing ploy for the hotel, and nothing more. And in fact, they were FORCED to quit encouraging guests to provide shows fort he public. It was in no way representative of anything other than creative marketing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City