U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 03:55 PM

2,954 posts, read 10,829,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanettesminiwagon View Post
We just moved to Brooklyn from DC. We're in the Bushwick area and need to drive back down to DC this weekend. Every experience we've had on the Verazzano Bridge/278 has been a nightmare. The construction along that section of 278 seems to slow down traffic in both directions. Is there an alternate route through Manhattan? Remember that I'm new here, so give directions that I can understand please.

Jeanette
Sure, but it involves going through the streets for a pretty long time.

You take Broadway in Brooklyn (under the J train) all the way to the Williamsburg Bridge (you'll have to turn on Havermeyer St. near the McDonald's to get on the bridge).

Across the Bridge, you continue straight on Delancey St, which feeds into Kenmare St. At the end, turn left on Lafayette St and then immediately right on Broome Street, which feeds into the Holland Tunnel.

On the NJ side of the tunnel, you follow the signs for the Turnpike.

I'm not sure it will be much faster; it depends on traffic. The W'bg bridge tends to be slow. It's just hard to get out of NYC by car without spending some time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 04:16 PM

1,056 posts, read 1,592,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonwattagelimit View Post
There may or may not be traffic - Saturday afternoon shouldn't be too bad, except during he summer - but with the Belt, you never really know. Either way, though it would be faster than public transit.

Saturday afternoons are BAD.

I yell at my wife whenever we leave her mothers at this time.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:58 AM

8,182 posts, read 14,336,934 times
Returning on a Sat before midnight is a horror! I have family in Jersey and we try to get together once a month on a Sat. I HATE coming back. All the nincompoops heading to the clubs driving like lunatics because they are late or just in a huge hurry. It doesn't stop once they get onto SI, either. They race, boomerang, tailgate, and there's no cops. Stay overnight and come home Sunday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City