U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2009, 07:34 PM

2 posts, read 5,253 times

Advertisements

Hi im moving to new york to go to school at BMCC in the financial district.
I come from california and i'm very excited for the move. Currently im looking into where to move to. I want to room with someone or share an apt. I look on craigslist and theres many rooms from the 300 to 500 range, exactly what im looking for. But I need to know which areas are the safest? Im looking for something in manhattan or brooklyn. Help Please! and any additional tips you may have for the move will help too! thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2009, 07:11 AM

477 posts, read 1,208,048 times
There are no rooms for rent in manhattan for $300-500. Check out another recent post by someone else who tried to rent a room for $500 and got scammed out of $. Your best bet would be to contact the school and see what they recommend.

Old 11-14-2009, 09:16 AM

10,604 posts, read 20,734,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by figueroa1322 View Post
Hi im moving to new york to go to school at BMCC in the financial district.
I come from california and i'm very excited for the move. Currently im looking into where to move to. I want to room with someone or share an apt. I look on craigslist and theres many rooms from the 300 to 500 range, exactly what im looking for. But I need to know which areas are the safest? Im looking for something in manhattan or brooklyn. Help Please! and any additional tips you may have for the move will help too! thanks!
Forget about Manhattan in that price range. Sure, you're seeing shares listed at that price. Why? They fall into several categories

1. scams or bait-and-switch
2. WEEKLY price listed, not monthly
3. not really in Manhattan
4. ROOM shares (you know, like when you were 10 and slept in a bunk bed with your brother)
5. In Manhattan but so far from the Financial District (Inwood, Washington Heights) you may as well live in Jersey City or Queens
6 Creep shares - you know, like "I'm offering this room for $300 a month but you must be an attractive girl between 18 and 25 who will walk around the apartment in her underwear"

Get the idea?

You can find a share somewhere for $500, but you will need to look very far south in Brooklyn, or somewhere in Queens. You could also try Jersey City which is probably going to be the shortest commute for this price range. Staten Island may even work.

Old 11-14-2009, 01:47 PM

905 posts, read 2,519,963 times
^^^

What Henna said. Another possibility is that you would be sleeping on someone's couch, or basically just living in the living room. Seriously, if you see a room share advertised for $400/month in Manhattan (or even in Brooklyn or Queens), do not do it. It is either a scam or a very undesirable situation.

Honestly, even $500 - which is not even close to doable in Manhattan - would be pushing it. The areas Henna mentioned might work, but it's iffy. I think $600 is the really the bare minimum for a semi-reasonable living situation in NYC, i.e., your own bedroom (probably a railroad, however) a neighborhood that is not too bed or too inconvenient (though it may be a little of both). If you want to be more certain, then it's more like $800. You can probably get a room a decent 2 or 3-bed in a reasonably desirable (not high-end, but nice and with good subway access) neighborhood in Brooklyn or Queens for around $750-800, maybe a bit lower if you find a deal.

Manhattan? Totally different story, unless you want to live way Uptown (Harlem, Washington Heights), just forget it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City