Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 12:12 AM

842 posts, read 4,308,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstaterInBklyn View Post
No offense taken, ClubBR. And thanks for your concern.

With all of the grumbling in this forum about "Outsiders", "Midwesterners" and "Yuppies", it's important to explain why we relocators end up in this great city.

And I see the truth and agree with the irony of your statement, having gotten to know many born-and-bred NY'ers since I've been here
Good. I'm glad we're on the same page
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2007, 04:14 PM

1,248 posts, read 4,056,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneBKLYN View Post
Well, If you have the money I would suggest the greenwich village/chelsea area.
Crime is at a minimal there.
Areas you should avoid are pretty much around northern harlem and spanish harlem. Although, these areas are quite beautiful because you get some gorgeous views of the palisades and the hudson.

I'd like to advise you that there are areas outside of Manhattan which are also great, like Park Slope in Brooklyn:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/9/9c/ParkSlope-street.JPG/450px-ParkSlope-street.JPG (broken link)
You'll save alot of money.

The mistake alot of people end up making is moving to Manhattan, and then realize that the cost of living is so high, so many move to Brooklyn or Queens.
Newsflash:

The "Cost of Living" isn't much cheaper in Brooklyn or Queens either.
The entire NYC metro area (including the suburbs of Long Island, most of NJ & Fairfield Cty CT) are cost prohibitive for any person not making in the six figures in this day in age.

Plus, you generally will need a car outside of Manhattan. Insurance rates in Brooklyn & Queens are beyond absurd not to mention the cost of groceries & utilities (con ed is also getting a huge rate increase which NY'ers will just have to suck up like rents that rise by by 'a few hundred' every year).

Old 09-08-2007, 08:35 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times
The cheapest apartments are usually in The Bronx. Looking into the University Heights section I saw rent as low as $800. Manhattan is a different story...unless you decide to live Uptown in the Washington Heights/Harlem area. But like everyone says avoid the uptown area. Good luck!

Old 09-09-2007, 11:29 AM

23 posts, read 87,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
The cheapest apartments are usually in The Bronx. Looking into the University Heights section I saw rent as low as $800. Manhattan is a different story...unless you decide to live Uptown in the Washington Heights/Harlem area. But like everyone says avoid the uptown area. Good luck!
Thanks, I appreciate all the advice.

Old 09-09-2007, 02:35 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,332,493 times
What is your major and your boyfriends?

You do not have to move to NYC to become successful, unless you wanna do banking, media, fashion or law.

Phoenix is a boom town is it not?

Old 09-09-2007, 10:58 PM

23 posts, read 87,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
What is your major and your boyfriends?

You do not have to move to NYC to become successful, unless you wanna do banking, media, fashion or law.

Phoenix is a boom town is it not?
Yes it is...but it is not the type of climate that I like. I actually did live in Phoenix for a while. Like I said...I'd like to move to NYC because it has always been a dream of mine since I was a little girl. And, again, like I said, my major will be Fashion Marketing and Merchandising. My boyfriend hasn't really decided his yet. He's thinking along the lines of a Law or Accounting degree.

Old 09-10-2007, 06:08 PM

371 posts, read 1,106,219 times
Brownstones in manhattan

Old 09-10-2007, 06:11 PM

371 posts, read 1,106,219 times
nice little town in manhattan(Washington Heights)

Old 10-27-2007, 10:00 PM

80 posts, read 306,566 times
Default Dog-friendly buildings/outdoor space

What kind of dogs do you have? Half the time a broker takes you to a building which is advertised as "pet-friendly" even they don't understand or doublecheck as to whether that means:

1) cats only
2) dog(s) allowed, but under a certain weight limit and pending breed approval (pit bulls are often prohibited)
3) 1 dog only
4) for apartment shareholders (the owners from whom you might be subletting) in good standing for a specified period of time only

Very few coop or even condo sublets will allow sublettors to have pets. Your best bet is a rental building.

I'll admit I'm not current as to city rentals since I've owned for many years now, but I think you can probably find in a decent area of Manhattan what might work best for you - a garden apartment in a brownstone or tenement so you're freed from being tied down by having to walk your dog (but you can always hire dog walkers, they tend to be $15 per walk for one dog). It's a lot easier to just let your dogs out into the yard to poop (consider antik-bark collars!) when you're too tired to walk them, and while dog theft is more of a consideration if you leave them in the backyard when you run errand it'd be hard for them to fall twelve flights. For under $4,000/mo you can probably get a half floor garden apt (600sf?) with a private backyard in almost any Manhattan neighborhood. You might even get a floorthru, 1000sf garden apt off the beaten path (Avenue C?) in the East Village or other non-prime but arguably nice (or at least safe) Manhattan neighborhoods. What you WON'T get is a lot of light or great views, but this is more about what's best for your dogs, your social life and career.

If you are social and/or ambitious in an industry that will demand long hours of you, you should live in Manhattan, probably downtown all points east and west near Washington Square Park or Thompkins Square Park - both have dog runs. You do not want to waste hours commuting to Riverdale (Bronx), Washington Heights, Long Island City (less nice), etc.

If you're somewhat asocial and see yourself having a lot of free time and spending a lot of time walking your dogs, you should consider increasing your commute to get what you want - if what you want is square footage, light and views and a terrace near a park.

Old 10-27-2007, 10:45 PM

957 posts, read 3,350,755 times
The brownstone pic of Manhattan looks computer generated. It doesn't look like any area I've ever seen. Where are those if they are real?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City