Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 09:30 AM

23 posts, read 87,894 times

Advertisements

So I'm planning on moving to Manhattan when me and my boyfriend are all done with college (by this time we'll be around 24 and 25), now I've researched the costs, but I can't seem to get any information on what are good neighborhoods. I know midtown is more of the shopping district, and I've heard the Upper East side is the more ritzy area. But, I don't know anything about crime rates in different parts of the city. I want to, hopefully, live in Midtown. Could someone give me a little info about what are the nice areas? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2007, 10:39 AM

319 posts, read 493,951 times
Well, If you have the money I would suggest the greenwich village/chelsea area.
Crime is at a minimal there.
Areas you should avoid are pretty much around northern harlem and spanish harlem. Although, these areas are quite beautiful because you get some gorgeous views of the palisades and the hudson.

I'd like to advise you that there are areas outside of Manhattan which are also great, like Park Slope in Brooklyn:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/9/9c/ParkSlope-street.JPG/450px-ParkSlope-street.JPG (broken link)
You'll save alot of money.

The mistake alot of people end up making is moving to Manhattan, and then realize that the cost of living is so high, so many move to Brooklyn or Queens.

Old 05-14-2007, 10:52 AM

646 posts, read 1,610,568 times
Anything south of 96th street is fine.

Anything north of 96th street may or may not be fine, depends on the neighborhood.

Each neighborhood in Manhattan has its own flavor. Upper east side tends to be wealthy professionals. The meatpacking district tends to have younger people interested in nightlife. Chelsea has a significant GLBT population.

Crime is not a significant problem in most of NYC. This perception is more of a holdover from the 1970s. By any reasonable way of measuring crime (per capita), NY is safer than any other major metropolitan area.

I will second Eugenebrklyn's advice. Consider Brooklyn or Queens, unless money really is no object to you.

Old 05-14-2007, 11:18 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
Like someone posted before below 96 is sort of the cutoff. Above 96 there are some really nice neigborhoods, but it varies more.

If you really want us to help you, you have to give us some specifics.

What are you lookin for in your neighborhood?

Do you prefer quiet, or lively?

Do you prefer an older demographic, or do you prefer to be around people more your age?

What are you realistically looking to spend, rent-wise?

Here's a money saving tip, if you are not already a member of a costco or BJays, become a member yesterday. Borrow somebody's car if you don't have one and go there. You can save a lot of money on a lot of basic stuff, paper towels, toilet paper, cereal, soap, cleaning materials, etc. Don't pay manhattan prices for stuff you buy much cheaper in bulk elsewhere. You'll be surprised how much those little purchases can add up over time.

Old 05-14-2007, 11:25 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,368,610 times
I think you can go up to 110th st on the West side for good neighborhoods. Definitely 96th on the east side though.

The original poster must keep in mind that these areas are really EXPENSIVE. $2,000 a month minimum for a 1br (more likely it will average around $2,500 a month).

Old 05-14-2007, 11:48 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,940,360 times
The West side is good up to about 110th St.

The upper East side isn't necessarily as 'ritzy' as it is family-oriented. However, NONE of Manhattan is cheap and Greenwich Village, Soho/Tribeca and the Upper West side are among the priciest areas.

Midtown IS less costly - for a reason: amenities for daily living are fewer and farther between (like REALLY GOOD supermarkets).

Look around at the NY Times real estate section to get ideas.

Old 05-14-2007, 11:55 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,799,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch00 View Post
Crime is not a significant problem in most of NYC. This perception is more of a holdover from the 1970s. By any reasonable way of measuring crime (per capita), NY is safer than any other major metropolitan area.
False. Crime is still a serious problem in certain areas. I can't think of many areas in across the USA as bad as parts of BK, the BX and Harlem. Not with all the bull**** you see in those areas. Crime stats are garbage becuase they are compromised. Or plain old bull****. Number fudging.

I would also reccomend south of E 96th Street, 110th Street on the West side. Trust me on that. East Village is decent. Upper East Side is also nice.

Old 05-14-2007, 09:55 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,930,177 times
Crime is still an issue in NYC. Crime stats do not reflect reality as many serious crimes go unreported. Maybe not murders but in a city like NY police are freqeuntly not notified of assaults, muggings, robberies, etc. That is not the case in most sunbelt cities for example-where every crime no matter how small seems to be reported. This is partly because of the historical mistrust of the police in certain areas but there are other reasons as well.

Parts of Manhattan are much safer than they used to be. Tourist areas as well. Many other parts of the city have significant problems. I will agree that affordable housing is probably the number one problem in NYC though.

Old 05-14-2007, 10:39 PM

23 posts, read 87,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Like someone posted before below 96 is sort of the cutoff. Above 96 there are some really nice neigborhoods, but it varies more.

If you really want us to help you, you have to give us some specifics.

What are you lookin for in your neighborhood?

Do you prefer quiet, or lively?

Do you prefer an older demographic, or do you prefer to be around people more your age?

What are you realistically looking to spend, rent-wise?

Here's a money saving tip, if you are not already a member of a costco or BJays, become a member yesterday. Borrow somebody's car if you don't have one and go there. You can save a lot of money on a lot of basic stuff, paper towels, toilet paper, cereal, soap, cleaning materials, etc. Don't pay manhattan prices for stuff you buy much cheaper in bulk elsewhere. You'll be surprised how much those little purchases can add up over time.
Well, we want to move there when we're more secure with money. So it'll be a long while from now. But, it's best to start planning sooner than later. I'm thinking I would like the rent to be around 1000-4000. Who knows what kind of money we'll be making by then though. I've already looked at some apartments and am pretty pleased with the prices and utilities, but the main key for me is location. I want it to be a safe neighborhood, good shopping district, and I need it to have a park near by so I can walk my dogs close to home. I also prefer the nightlife, so where most places are open 24-7. And just one more thing, I prefer the apartments with a generous sized terrace for my dogs. Most of the apartments I've looked up online (with terraces) have been in the Greenwich Village.

So, if that helps specify then someone can take a crack at some advice. I've never even been to NYC so I'm trusting everyone here to give me some good advice. Oh and thank you for the Cosco tip. I'll keep that in mind.

Old 05-15-2007, 01:35 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,368,610 times
Yeah I think you're going to need to visit the city before you even think about moving here. $1,000-$4,000 is a huge range. Did you mean $1,000 to $1,400?

Most apartments don't accept dogs in the first place and having a balcony is going to make the place even more expensive. Space is really tight in this area and it comes at a premium. So having something like a balcony will cost you extra money usually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City