U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2009, 06:56 PM

3 posts, read 16,885 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have an opinion regarding the upcoming auction for units at the Solaria in Riverdale? I'm considering buying a unit and then renting it out. Do you think prices will continue to drop in Riverdale? How is the rental market in the neighborhood? i am looking at a 2BR or maybe a 1BR. Any insight will be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 07:48 AM

8,750 posts, read 15,552,768 times
My opinion is that the condos were supremely overpriced during the "boom" times...and their current prices are not a deal, but current market value. For example, if you price a typical 64oz of Tropicana Orange juice for $6 bucks..that would be outrageous, but then "discount it" to $3.50, that's not a deal it's the normal value. This auction is selling at market value, and not a deal. If you like Riverdale and looking to buy, this is brand new and nice with cool amenities, however I would not buy it because I believe a 2 bedroom condo is worth $900,000 and I am getting it for $450,000...that's not a deal..that's just the market value..and the original prices were ludicrous...which is why they did not sell even in the best of times.

Old 11-16-2009, 09:09 AM

1,014 posts, read 2,530,583 times
If you picked up one of these units for $400k, assuming 20% down, 30 year mortgage at 7%, you are looking at $2200/month on the mortgage alone. You'd need to be able to pull in at least $3k in rent to make it not be a huge money drain, there are a lot of comparable luxury-type units in that price range available right now in areas with the same or better commute to midtown.

I guess if your objective is to have the rent somewhat pay off what it costs to own the thing and then own it outright some time down the road or perhaps sell it for more than you paid, you might do not too bad.

Old 11-16-2009, 09:53 AM

8,389 posts, read 19,623,816 times
Why would you assume a 7 % mortgage rate when 4.75 or 4.875 is quite available for anyone with good credit ?
2% or more makes a huge,huge difference in payments.

Old 11-16-2009, 10:25 AM

10,750 posts, read 25,526,667 times
Don't forget to add another $1100 or so for condo fee (2BR), taxes, and parking fee to the monthly carrying cost. I don't know that you could realistically rent the apartment to break-even. Also, you need to check the condo documents to see if there is a rental restriction on the unit, since some condo association by-laws do restrict rentals, not unlike co-ops.

A couple of people I know who were interested opted not to buy because of the location, directly on the parkway, the balconies were too small, and the parking garage was not in the building, but in a separate one that's connected by a covered walkway.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 11-16-2009, 10:38 AM

8,389 posts, read 19,623,816 times
^^^^
Also,Riverdale is a great area but real estate there has been suffering because of gluts that pre date the crash.There always seem to be lots and lots of coops,condos and rentals available so I would be very leery of purchasing with renting in mind .The rents tend to be lower than they should be considering the area.
If you really like the place and want to live there and can get a good deal that's another thing.

Old 11-16-2009, 11:37 AM

10,750 posts, read 25,526,667 times
Another aspect to the building is that it was marketed as a family building, with upscale/unique features, though the price point was similar to a full-service building in Manhattan. The problem with that strategy is that families can buy a $1-2M house in Riverdale as opposed to a family apartment, and not have monthly condo fees, though the taxes will be higher on the house. If they're making the move to Riverdale from Manhattan, the luxury of a private yard, garage, driveway, and more space in a house to which they can add-on/renovate makes an argument against a higher-end family apartment.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 11-16-2009, 03:13 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,530,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Why would you assume a 7 % mortgage rate when 4.75 or 4.875 is quite available for anyone with good credit ?
2% or more makes a huge,huge difference in payments.
Very true. At 4.75, the monthly mortgage is $1,700.

Sorry, I used 7 because that was roughly what it was the last time that I had an encounter with the mortgage market (2008). Rates have certainly come down since then.

Old 11-17-2009, 01:22 PM

32 posts, read 104,257 times
Read the offering plan and contract, you can't rent for 12 months after you close.

Old 11-17-2009, 06:39 PM

3 posts, read 16,885 times
Thanks for the info. I didn't know about having to wait one year because renting it out. There are so many pages in the offering plan! Where did you find that info. I searched the document and couldn't find that part
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City