U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 02:17 AM

5 posts, read 12,366 times

Advertisements

Hi!,

I am a 19 year old female from New Zealand and I am going on an exchange for 4 months from mid Jan till the end of may 2010. I will be attending school in Long Island however I want to live in New York city. I have considered Kensington in Brooklyn, Queens and Williamsburg, but I don't really have a clue what it would be like to live in any of these places.

I am looking for a resonably safe area but one that is fun and exciting for somebody of my age, also if anybody knows of good student housing??

ANY SUGGESTIONS OR INFORMATION ON THESE AREAS OF OTHERS WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 06:01 AM

30,412 posts, read 31,311,901 times
You might like Astoria or Forest Hills which are both in Queens. Forest Hills has a Long Island Railroad station so it might help with your commute to Long Island.

Old 11-17-2009, 06:29 AM

8,395 posts, read 19,686,917 times
It will definitely depend on where on Long Island you will be attending school.What town will you be in?

If this going to be feasible at all( there are other factors as well) you will probably need a neighborhood with a Long Island RR stop.Certain neighborhoods in Queens and Brooklyn have this,most do not.

Old 11-17-2009, 06:55 AM

7,079 posts, read 33,792,778 times
And how are you going to get from the LIRR to where you're going to school? If' it's Stony Brook, that's IMPOSSIBLE without a car unless you live on campus.

This doesn't sound like it's very do-able. Long Island is difficult without a car.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:52 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,544,708 times
Williamsburg & Greenpoint next-door feel like good choices.

Old 11-18-2009, 12:39 AM

Thank you for all your replys and yes I do need to be near the long island railroad, Dowling college is in Oakdale and is apparently just a 20 min walk or short bus ride from where I am meant to get off. Can somebody tell me more about Williamsburg, Forest Hills and Greenpoint please :}

Old 11-18-2009, 12:43 AM

Also does any one have any insight on a student housing place called "University Place-NY Student Housing" in Kensington Brooklyn??

Old 11-18-2009, 01:05 AM

10,653 posts, read 20,812,029 times
My advice is to live close to the school. It doesn't make any sense whatsoever to be commuting from Queens, and certainly not from Brooklyn, unless you only have to go to class once a week or something. Just the ride alone on the LI railroad will take one and a half hours. (http://www.mta.info/lirr/Timetable/Branch.htm?Folder=Branch&Branch=Montauk (broken link)) Then factor in getting to the station, waiting for the train, getting off on the other end and walking 20 minutes... this will be like 2 and a half hours just one way! And it's not like the trains run all the time - maybe once per hour.
And don't forget to factor in the expense of the tickets because they can really add up!

just google LIRR montauk line and you can see the schedule.

If you absolutely M U S T live in NYC, then Forest Hills is your best bet because there would be no need to take the subway to the train - you can just get right on the train there. But this is an absolutely crazy plan if you ask me. And I guess you are asking. It's a crazy plan! And I think the international office or student services office at your school would agree. Have you spoken to the director of your program there?

Old 11-18-2009, 02:23 AM

Thanks for your advice Henna its exactly what I thought but never have bee to NY I thought I should ask. I have talked to the director of the program and he is the one insisting that the commute wont be difficult and that it would enhance my trip living in the city rather than long island

Old 11-18-2009, 06:44 AM

477 posts, read 1,211,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chlo View Post
Thanks for your advice Henna its exactly what I thought but never have bee to NY I thought I should ask. I have talked to the director of the program and he is the one insisting that the commute wont be difficult and that it would enhance my trip living in the city rather than long island
Are you aware that commuting back and forth to the city is going to cost you $300 or more a month on the LIRR alone? I'm not sure of the going price for a monthly ticket, but from where you will, but I can tell you that an off peak ticket is $9.75 each way. It will be higher for you because yor school is farther east than I am.

I've lived in manhattan and I live on long island now. In my opinion I think this idea of living in the city and attending school that far out on long island ridiculous. Walking 20 minutes back and forth to the school from the train? What about when there I a foot of snow on the ground? That 20 min walk will now be a 1 hour walk. In the cold.

I think your best bet is to live near the school, and then when you have free time take the train in and explore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City