U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 11:40 AM

2,316 posts, read 4,837,472 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't live in Manhattan with one and I wouldn't live in Brooklyn or Queens without one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 12:15 PM

922 posts, read 3,416,546 times
It seems to me that the only downside is cost. If you can afford the garage fees, life with a car is certainly more convenient, even if you use it only a few times a month. In my experience, everyone I know in the City who can afford a car has one.

Being able to afford a car in Manhattan, which would be considered a "want" rather than a "need", requires a substantial income, so fewer people can afford it or just decide it's not worth the money. There are some people who just have an "anti-car" attitude for some reason, but for most people it is just a cost/benefit decision.

The cost of ownership varies widely based on location. A space in a shared Manhattan garage costs $400+ per month. In contrast, I live in a further-out section of Brooklyn and rent a private one-car garage right below my bedroom for $75/mo.

The nice thing about NYC public transportation is that if you commute to Manhattan, you don't have to drive to work, so you end up not putting many miles on the car or dealing with daily rush hour traffic. That means lots of people own cars, but don't need them for getting to and from work. The further out you go into the boroughs, the more car-dependent you are for daily tasks, because the public transportation system in these areas is geared towards a 9-to-5 Manhattan commute and fewer things are within convenient walking distance. However, the farther out you are, car ownership is easier and cheaper because of the lower population density.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:50 PM

125 posts, read 564,187 times
I live in Forest Hills with a car, and previously I was in Astoria with a car. Aside from the fact that getting a parking spot on the street is often difficult (especially on alternate side days) what never quite occurred to us is the amount of damage, accidental and deliberate, you wind up with. We had the side-view mirror knocked off by a truck, a tail light smashed by somebody pulling out of the spot behind us, and more miscellaneous dings and scratches than I can count. We now have a garage spot and it really does make life much easier, but then 2 weeks ago I drove to Woodside and had somebody steal a piece of trim right off the side of the car. Having a car in the outer boroughs can be tremendously useful, but if you're the type who obsesses over every little scratch, you could go bankrupt fixing the thing.

Old 11-21-2009, 03:44 AM

197 posts, read 787,349 times
Obviously the cons are the expense (parking, damages etc). The pros it helps alot if you travel out of the NYC area to areas where there is no mass transit, especially if you do it often. I drive out of town every week to Delaware and Maryland. In the outer boroughs like Queens in Staten Island it makes getting around much quicker since in some areas there is no nearby rail service and just buses. Plus the parking in Staten Island and most of Queens is much more plentiful. Even in Brooklyn some areas it is easier and quicker to drive such as Mill Basin, Canarsie.

Old 11-21-2009, 05:15 PM

331 posts, read 584,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Contrary to what the poster above has stated, VERY FEW people in Manhattan have cars. Nowhere near 40%. And if you look at www.bestparking you'll find that the parking is going to be at least $400/month, unless you park over by the docks on the far West side or where you'd be scared walking from the garage late at night.

New York City Vehicle Ownership - Streetswiki - Livable Streets (http://www.livablestreets.com/streetswiki/new-york-city-vehicle-ownership - broken link)

I was wrong with the 40%. But I believe I said "I think", just cause I wasn't sure. I have heard that before, but I guess it was wrong.

But you're wrong too by saying "VERY FEW people in Manhattan have cars". The number of households owning atleast 1 car is 23% in Manhattan. Which is still VERY low, but that's just under 1 out of every 4 households.

And that also puts the amounts of cars there in the hundreds of thousands.

Old 11-21-2009, 05:25 PM

10,684 posts, read 20,853,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldwanderer View Post
New York City Vehicle Ownership - Streetswiki - Livable Streets (http://www.livablestreets.com/streetswiki/new-york-city-vehicle-ownership - broken link)

I was wrong with the 40%. But I believe I said "I think", just cause I wasn't sure. I have heard that before, but I guess it was wrong.

But you're wrong too by saying "VERY FEW people in Manhattan have cars". The number of households owning atleast 1 car is 23% in Manhattan. Which is still VERY low, but that's just under 1 out of every 4 households.

And that also puts the amounts of cars there in the hundreds of thousands.
I think ViralMD is right on this one. The figure is something like 25% of households that own passenger vehicles in Manhattan. Note - that is households, not individuals, so the number of individuals owning vehicles in Manhattan must be far lower than 25%. In my mind, that is "very few" especially considering what the rate is for the rest of the nation.

Old 11-21-2009, 05:42 PM

331 posts, read 584,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I think ViralMD is right on this one. The figure is something like 25% of households that own passenger vehicles in Manhattan. Note - that is households, not individuals, so the number of individuals owning vehicles in Manhattan must be far lower than 25%. In my mind, that is "very few" especially considering what the rate is for the rest of the nation.
As you can see, I used the word "household". Also, what is the avg "household" in Manhattan? I bet it's probably the lowest in the nation because of how much space cost there.

There's over 1.6 million people who live in Manhattan, I don't know what that comes down to in actual "households", but saying that "VERY FEW people have cars in Manhattan" ain't very accurate to me. When you look for a parking space, are they easy to find? That's all one needs to see to determine that.

Old 11-21-2009, 05:56 PM

7,079 posts, read 33,823,784 times
Finding a parking place has little to do with living in Manhattan, since there are hordes of people who drive into work every day all over Manhattan island. People who work night shifts drive in (they work in hospitals, hotels, apartment buildings, etc.) and take any spot they can. But they don't live in Manhattan.

And households aren't all that small in Manhattan. Growing up I was part of a household of six in Manhattan.

Old 11-21-2009, 06:01 PM

10,684 posts, read 20,853,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldwanderer View Post
As you can see, I used the word "household". Also, what is the avg "household" in Manhattan? I bet it's probably the lowest in the nation because of how much space cost there.

There's over 1.6 million people who live in Manhattan, I don't know what that comes down to in actual "households", but saying that "VERY FEW people have cars in Manhattan" ain't very accurate to me. When you look for a parking space, are they easy to find? That's all one needs to see to determine that.
I'll just repeat that her statement is accurate to me. Too bad you disagree and that your logic is fuzzy.

Old 11-21-2009, 09:07 PM

8,900 posts, read 12,767,198 times
I had a car in Queens for a while. The biggest pain was parking it. When I lived in Maspeth it was pretty hard to park, but when I moved to the upper Ditmars area of Astoria, it was pretty easy. I really only used it when going to do errands around Queens. I ended up giving the car to my sister because at the time I was saving for a wedding and wanted to save the money. It kind of stunk in a way, since I played in a hockey league at the new ice rink in Long Island city. It was only like 2 miles from my apartment but took 45 minutes to get there (a bus and 2 subways, then a 5 minute walk). When my husband drove me, it would take like 10 minutes.

I ended up losing patience for the bus and roller bladed wherever I needed to go in the immediate area. I got exercise, it was fun, and also a lot faster. If you have a bike or roller blades, I recommend using them. Roller blades are a bit harder, since you need to carry your shoes and put your skates in a backpack once you get to the store. That can get annoying after a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City