U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 07:49 AM

8,182 posts, read 14,296,963 times

Advertisements

This may help your case: On the train to South Ferry station (1/9), the conductor makes a huge announcement that anyone getting off at South Ferry needs to move to the first five cars of the train. The doors are opened and LOCKED OPEN by the conductor and people are ENCOURAGED to move from car to car while the train is moving.

So, how can that be unsafe??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 04:12 PM

1,141 posts, read 2,790,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzuri View Post
My experience;
Went with one of my children.
More courteous than traffic court.
Wish I had known one could ask for a reduction.
You can't beat this unless you had a real emergency.

Skip a few take-outs to compensate.
Thanks Mzuri! This is very helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
This may help your case: On the train to South Ferry station (1/9), the conductor makes a huge announcement that anyone getting off at South Ferry needs to move to the first five cars of the train. The doors are opened and LOCKED OPEN by the conductor and people are ENCOURAGED to move from car to car while the train is moving.

Hmmm...interesting.

Old 11-22-2009, 11:28 PM

144 posts, read 401,433 times
i dont get why though an open container summons is $25 and riding between the cars is $75 ticket because $75 seems quite steep!

Old 11-23-2009, 06:26 PM

40,057 posts, read 29,769,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post

I believe you're referring to South Ferry station before it was renovated and rebuilt, when the train was on a tightly curved track, and only the first half was actually inside the station. You had no choice but to move to the front of the train in order to board or exit. That arrangement has since become irrelevant. (And just for the record, you weren't asked to move between the cars of a moving train. You were supposed to do that at Rector Street, or when the train came into South Ferry. Passing between the cars of a train is unsafe, period. And triple that if it's moving. Then double that again if it's moving on a curve).

Old 11-24-2009, 05:16 PM

105 posts, read 257,531 times
OK, if you say so. I'm not up on the statistics. All I know from working here is that we have a hell of a lot more than three deaths a year in subway-related accidents.

As to why trains were set up to permit people to walk between cars in the first place, that was originally done to let people relieve crowding in one particular car. When the number of accidents began to climb, the model R-46 and R-68 cars (you see them on the A, D, F and Q lines) featured end doors you can't walk through. But the new models R-143 and R-160 do allow movement between cars.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.
..... Hello, I was born and raised in NYC, and always rode the subways. I don't know if the other posters, or yourself for that matter were born and grew up here, but up untill a few short years ago it was perfectly fine to move between cars. Same as a few short years ago it was ok to light up a cigarette in a bar! (but that is another story) In my opinion examples of big government "protecting" ourselves from.. ourselves!!!! Insane! in my opinion it was always perfectly safe to travel between cars. For generations -and more than a century, the 2nd, 3rd, 6th, 9th ave ELs thought so and the BRT(Later BMT) IRT and IND thought so too. Up untill the R-40 "slant nose" came about and then they decided these were dangerous for passengers .. so they gave them huge gates on the side and made the next ones (R-42s ) traditionally styled. Moving between cars IS safe, always has been, unless you are a stumbling drunk. In this case you should not be outside AT ALL because you are "publicly Intoxicated" which could land you in jail anyways. (cause by very nature you are a menace to yourself and others in this condition.) By the way, when I was younger and rode the trains alot, i not only moved between the cars, but If it was a hot summer day I stayed outside the car. (Rode with both hands on the grab handles and both feet on ONE car. ) mmmm.. SO THERE ! LOL

Old 11-24-2009, 06:09 PM

1,810 posts, read 6,212,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCsanman View Post
OK, if you say so. I'm not up on the statistics. All I know from working here is that we have a hell of a lot more than three deaths a year in subway-related accidents.

As to why trains were set up to permit people to walk between cars in the first place, that was originally done to let people relieve crowding in one particular car. When the number of accidents began to climb, the model R-46 and R-68 cars (you see them on the A, D, F and Q lines) featured end doors you can't walk through. But the new models R-143 and R-160 do allow movement between cars.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.
..... Hello, I was born and raised in NYC, and always rode the subways. I don't know if the other posters, or yourself for that matter were born and grew up here, but up untill a few short years ago it was perfectly fine to move between cars. Same as a few short years ago it was ok to light up a cigarette in a bar! (but that is another story) In my opinion examples of big government "protecting" ourselves from.. ourselves!!!! Insane! in my opinion it was always perfectly safe to travel between cars. For generations -and more than a century, the 2nd, 3rd, 6th, 9th ave ELs thought so and the BRT(Later BMT) IRT and IND thought so too. Up untill the R-40 "slant nose" came about and then they decided these were dangerous for passengers .. so they gave them huge gates on the side and made the next ones (R-42s ) traditionally styled. Moving between cars IS safe, always has been, unless you are a stumbling drunk. In this case you should not be outside AT ALL because you are "publicly Intoxicated" which could land you in jail anyways. (cause by very nature you are a menace to yourself and others in this condition.) By the way, when I was younger and rode the trains alot, i not only moved between the cars, but If it was a hot summer day I stayed outside the car. (Rode with both hands on the grab handles and both feet on ONE car. ) mmmm.. SO THERE ! LOL
Back in the 80's while riding the 7 train to Queensboro plaza on my way to high school in Astoria we used to ride between the cars, 3 or sometimes 4 of us, some of those turns were very sharp to say the least, nobody ever said anything. In all kinds of weather, even during winter.

Looking back now as an adult that was a very foolish thing to do but when you are a teenager you feel like you can do whatever you want.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCsanman View Post
..... Hello, I was born and raised in NYC, and always rode the subways. I don't know if the other posters, or yourself for that matter were born and grew up here, but up untill a few short years ago it was perfectly fine to move between cars.
It was perfectly fine before the number of train-related deaths began to increase. Then MTA declared it illegal. I'm afraid I don't know what's so hard to understand about that.

Whatever else you may think of the organization, MTA happens to be in the right about this. It's purely a question of safety. And since walking between the cars of a subway train was declared illegal--I believe that went into effect over the winter of 2004-05--anyone who does so now does it at their own risk. You (or your survivors) can sue for the sun and the moon, and it won't make any difference.

Oh yes, by the way...hello. I was born and raised here too. Possibly before you were.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:55 PM

10,648 posts, read 20,806,009 times
We used to ride with 7 people in one station wagon too - a couple kids would ride in the back deck. No seatbelts! That used to be safe, too. I just don't understand why the government is insisting on seatbelts these days.

P.S. That was sarcasm.

Old 11-25-2009, 12:27 AM

8,182 posts, read 14,296,963 times
Well, Fred, it has been about a year since I last took the 1/9 (and was surprised it was no longer the 1/9 but just the 1. But I used to take it weekly and the announcement was not made at/before Rector St, it was made during the trip AFTER leaving Rector St station and I was petrified to move between the cars. The doors WERE locked open. I waited until the train stopped to move forward. After a few weeks, I got good at getting on the first five cars. I'm so happy I'm retired and not travelling into the city, except for a once a year jaunt with old friends and we take the car now through Jersey.

I was unaware South Ferry station was renovated, but I knew it was slated for that with the huge rebuilding of the ferry terminal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I believe you're referring to South Ferry station before it was renovated and rebuilt, when the train was on a tightly curved track, and only the first half was actually inside the station. You had no choice but to move to the front of the train in order to board or exit. That arrangement has since become irrelevant. (And just for the record, you weren't asked to move between the cars of a moving train. You were supposed to do that at Rector Street, or when the train came into South Ferry. Passing between the cars of a train is unsafe, period. And triple that if it's moving. Then double that again if it's moving on a curve).

Old 11-25-2009, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
We used to ride with 7 people in one station wagon too - a couple kids would ride in the back deck. No seatbelts! That used to be safe, too. I just don't understand why the government is insisting on seatbelts these days.

P.S. That was sarcasm.
Just goes to show how civilization here is in decline. Once upon a time, it wasn't necessary to warn people that a cup of hot coffee was hot, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City