U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 09:11 AM

633 posts, read 971,864 times

Advertisements

I moved from Queens NY to Staten Island in 1991. I live on the south shore. I am at that point that I can no longer live here. Besides the fact that there is a HUGE prescription drug problem here, people in general are small minded, rude and downright low class. I don't care how much someone makes, if they talk like they have marbles in their mouth and start there sentences with "let me tell ya somethin".......not much difference to me than if you are 40 and live in mommy's basement with no job and a habit.....

I hear it is better on the north shore. More diverse perhaps makes it more interesting and less ignorant? There have been 6 shootings there since last week, 4 homicides. Okay, well one was in the 122, the others in the 120. This of course is a huge worry.

We are trying to move out of state, but have been told to check out the north shore, esp Westerleigh before we pack our bags. Any thoughts??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 09:38 AM

455 posts, read 758,333 times
I'm on the north shore, there might be less mob wannabes, etc but the whole island is going downhill. Unless you have to stay in NYC, I'd recommend moving.

Old 11-21-2009, 08:47 AM

866 posts, read 3,747,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SINY2NC View Post
I moved from Queens NY to Staten Island in 1991. I live on the south shore. I am at that point that I can no longer live here. Besides the fact that there is a HUGE prescription drug problem here, people in general are small minded, rude and downright low class. I don't care how much someone makes, if they talk like they have marbles in their mouth and start there sentences with "let me tell ya somethin".......not much difference to me than if you are 40 and live in mommy's basement with no job and a habit.....

I hear it is better on the north shore. More diverse perhaps makes it more interesting and less ignorant? There have been 6 shootings there since last week, 4 homicides. Okay, well one was in the 122, the others in the 120. This of course is a huge worry.

We are trying to move out of state, but have been told to check out the north shore, esp Westerleigh before we pack our bags. Any thoughts??
Obviously, as you can see I'm not from New York. I have family that lives in the South Shore of Staten Island and they have been saying for years that they are wanting to move to a more rural area in New Jersey but they are still in Staten Island. At this point they will probably move once all their kids graduate.

I am not terribly familiar with the North Shore of Staten Island but I know that is is more diverse than the South Shore and is more condensed and built up.

Good Luck on your decision

Old 11-23-2009, 11:32 PM

1,730 posts, read 4,336,771 times
Quote:

REALLY? What area of Staten Island do you live since 1991 [?] that you do not know anything about Westerleigh, when the towns here are on top of one another?

Mod cut: personal attackYes, the North Shore, including Westerleigh, has lower-priced housing, more DIVERSITY, and yes, more crime.

And as far as "prescrition drugs,"? You can run, but you cannot hide. They are EVERYWHERE, including your bathroom cabinet.............

If you can AFFORD to live in the South Shore between Richmond Avenue, Hylan Boulevard, and Tottenville, I do not feel that you will have any problems, especially, when your next-door neighbor might be a Detective, School Principal, Teacher, Stockbroker, Lawyer, Doctor, Engineer, or a Fireman. Would you call all of these professions, IGNORANT................?

Last edited by Viralmd; 11-24-2009 at 04:45 AM.. Reason: Personal attack.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:25 AM

Hi Rubies 77,
I do live on the south shore. But I have found that just because my neighbors are in the professions you mention, that doesnt make them or their family memebers upstanding citizens at all. I don't know as much about Westerleigh as I would like beause I really am not up that way unless I am going to the bakery there.....I was hoping for some helpful insight. I have met some lwho live on the north shore and say that they would never live on the south shore, and vice versa. I like diversity, its all I knew in Queens. There people are open minded and not afraid of someone that looks a little different than them. :-) I have no issues with that. I do however find I am tired of living next to criminals where I am.... in my nice pretty neighborhood. Can tell you how many drug dealers there are just on my block...4 that I know of and that is not including the ones I know around the corner!!! :-(

Old 11-24-2009, 10:59 AM

2,705 posts, read 7,097,620 times
Quote:
Hi Rubies 77,
I do live on the south shore. But I have found that just because my neighbors are in the professions you mention, that doesnt make them or their family memebers upstanding citizens at all. I don't know as much about Westerleigh as I would like beause I really am not up that way unless I am going to the bakery there.....I was hoping for some helpful insight. I have met some lwho live on the north shore and say that they would never live on the south shore, and vice versa. I like diversity, its all I knew in Queens. There people are open minded and not afraid of someone that looks a little different than them. :-) I have no issues with that. I do however find I am tired of living next to criminals where I am.... in my nice pretty neighborhood. Can tell you how many drug dealers there are just on my block...4 that I know of and that is not including the ones I know around the corner!!! :-(
Well, what was the motive for moving to SI in the first place from Queens?

To seek a more suburban-type environment? (I'm guessing)

Then why don't you check out some close-to-NYC suburbs in NJ? In most of NJ, people embrace diversity, and we don't have "marbles-in-mouth" accents.

Places like Marlboro and Manalapan NJ seem to be pretty popular with the Brooklyn and Staten Island folks.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:34 AM

we are city workers amd can't move to NJ. At the time, working in Brooklyn so commute from SI wasn't so bad.

Hey, where is that marbles in the mouth accent from? LOL

Old 11-24-2009, 11:56 AM

1,730 posts, read 4,336,771 times
Quote:
Hi Rubies 77,
Hello: If you want to know what type of people live in a particular neighborhood, go to a MIDDLE or HIGH SCHOOL at 3pm, look from the outside, and you will get all the information you need. So, when you decide to visit the bakery in Westerleigh, visit one of the schools areas, there.

What stops you from ANONYMOUSLY contacting the police, and reporting these drug dealers? They need to be reported, and you are doing ALL the people of Staten Island a favor.

Do you live near the BERRY HOUSES, in Dongan Hills, or in South Beach, or Midland Beach? Those would be the only areas in the South Shore that I would imagine has this type of people. Although they could be anywhere, but these areas have always been on the fringe of things..........

The Berry Houses used to be a place for Senior Citizens, with people of all races, living in peaceful surroundings, until Government decided to change the status quo, and the wrong-type of people moved there, mostly from Brooklyn. Now, some of those people are ghettorizing that area. This is not to imply that Brooklyn is a ghetto, because it has many beautiful areas, and myriad of famous, upstanding citizens, but just to make a point.

The rest of the South Shore is very peaceful, and has a very- nice environment to bring up families, with good schools. We have our own Little League Team, that almost won this year.

I do, however, feel offended when you categorize all the people of Staten Island as Ignorant, Small -Minded, Rude, Downright low-class, Speaking with Marbles in their Mouths, or using poor English, because YOU know that applies only to a segment of the population. It would be more appropriate to state that SOME of the people that live in my NEIGHBORHOOD are............ that will only categorize a few, since obviously you do not seem to know much about the rest of the Island.

I think you owe the people of STATEN ISLAND, and the SOUTH SHORE, an APOLOGY. Thank you,

Old 11-24-2009, 12:13 PM

2,705 posts, read 7,097,620 times
Quote:
we are city workers amd can't move to NJ. At the time, working in Brooklyn so commute from SI wasn't so bad.

Hey, where is that marbles in the mouth accent from? LOL
Well, the marbles in mouth quote was from you ... I was just saying that in most parts of NJ, there is not a thick accent like in most of SI.

Related question ... being a city worker, are you allowed to live on Long Island, or Westchester?

Old 11-24-2009, 01:26 PM

479 posts, read 1,258,157 times
Why don't you go back to Queens if you are looking for that diversity you so much missed??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City