U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-20-2009, 04:14 PM
 
6 posts, read 7,665 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hey all

Ill be moving to NYC after the new year and would like some insight on things I should know before moving! Im currently in Dallas, TX and have been here for about year.. however, Im originally from the East Coast, and have been to NYC several times. Ive always wanted to move, so im finally doing it.

I will be moving alone, and other than some family in Northern Jersey, who Im not very close to.. I dont know anyone. I most likely will be looking into living in Brooklyn, and will probably temping untill I find a more permanent job. Im finding it difficult to do anything before actually getting there. I will be selling my car.. as I know it would be nuts to have a car there.

Just wondering if any of you can provide any insight on things I can do before getting there so Im prepared.. what areas I should look into moving to, and any job searches that may be helpful. Ill be doing the roommate thing at least for a little while, and my budget is going to be around 700 - 800/mo to start at least...... I figured I can probably get something at least semi decent in that price range. Also, Ive tried to save as much as possible before moving.. looks like Ill have about 5000 when I get there... at least to live off of incase it takes a while to find something lol.

Thanks in advance!

Tamara
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-20-2009, 04:25 PM
 
283 posts, read 441,773 times
Reputation: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by CutieTam View Post
Hey all

Ill be moving to NYC after the new year and would like some insight on things I should know before moving! Im currently in Dallas, TX and have been here for about year.. however, Im originally from the East Coast, and have been to NYC several times. Ive always wanted to move, so im finally doing it.

I will be moving alone, and other than some family in Northern Jersey, who Im not very close to.. I dont know anyone. I most likely will be looking into living in Brooklyn, and will probably temping untill I find a more permanent job. Im finding it difficult to do anything before actually getting there. I will be selling my car.. as I know it would be nuts to have a car there.

Just wondering if any of you can provide any insight on things I can do before getting there so Im prepared.. what areas I should look into moving to, and any job searches that may be helpful. Ill be doing the roommate thing at least for a little while, and my budget is going to be around 700 - 800/mo to start at least...... I figured I can probably get something at least semi decent in that price range. Also, Ive tried to save as much as possible before moving.. looks like Ill have about 5000 when I get there... at least to live off of incase it takes a while to find something lol.

Thanks in advance!

Tamara
In most cases, you'll need a job before you move here. Even to get a room/share the landlord will likely ask you what type of work you do (as opposed to "do you work?") especially if it's in a decent-to-good area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2009, 04:29 PM
 
6 posts, read 7,665 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie Jenkins View Post
In most cases, you'll need a job before you move here. Even to get a room/share the landlord will likely ask you what type of work you do (as opposed to "do you work?") especially if it's in a decent-to-good area.

It just seems very difficult to get a job there before I move.. unless I make several trips out for interviews before I get there.. which may not be too easy.. hmm..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2009, 12:57 PM
 
Location: Crown Heights
965 posts, read 2,109,432 times
Reputation: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by CutieTam View Post
It just seems very difficult to get a job there before I move.. unless I make several trips out for interviews before I get there.. which may not be too easy.. hmm..
I'd have to agree, I'm in the same dilemma myself. I most likely will be transferring with the one I have, because otherwise I know its difficult to try an compete for a job in the city if you don't live there. However its still worth a try, especially since your move date is not so far away and you can probably utilize some employment agencies. Anyhow, you got a leg up by being able to stay with fam in Jersey, thats a good transitioning tool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2009, 02:18 PM
 
8,269 posts, read 8,528,563 times
Reputation: 10245
I agree that you probably can't easily get a job before arriving here, but at least you have a bit of money. Especially since the NYC economy isn't good, and you have no idea how things will work out in terms of getting a decent job, especially because your post implies that you have no particular skills or training.

If you've graduated from a Texas college, there's a group of alumni you might try to hook up with here. Craigslist is good for finding housing, and there are certainly a lot of temp agencies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2009, 03:23 PM
 
11,686 posts, read 21,281,372 times
Reputation: 10086
As someone who graduated from college in Texas, moved to NYC for four years and then moved back to Dallas, I can tell you it's not easy to get a job in NYC (even in a good economy, which we are not in) unless you really pound the pavement and spend 10-20 hours a week working on getting a job. I networked, called and emailed everyone I knew and told them I wanted to move to NYC in my desired industry. I asked for informational interviews, flew to NYC twice on my own dime for interviews and finally landed an internship which then led to my full time job. If you are not willing to work that hard to get hired in NYC before you move, you are still going to have a hard time when you get there.

If you are further along in your career, get in touch with several well-regarded recruiters and pick their brains for companies who are looking for someone like you in NYC.

$700-800 is enough for a small BK share, but as a lease-holder, I'd be very wary of renting to someone without a steady full-time job lined up. More than wary. I wouldn't rent a room to them at all.

I am in NYC once a quarter foe work and I can tell you NYC is tough right now. Many industries have double-digit unemployment right now and tons of restaurants, bars, and shops have closed in the past 15 months. You will burn through $5k very quickly if you do not secure a job making at least $35k quickly. You will likely need to put up $2500 just to get an apartment (1-2 months rent, plus 1 mo rent for security deposit). Plus another (minimum) $750-2000 to move there, depending on how much stuff you have to move.

Not saying it's impossible, just be realistic. If you can stick it out in Dallas for a few more years to save more money and grow more advanced in your career, your chances of finding success in NYC will be much greater.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top