Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 12:02 AM

784 posts, read 2,730,095 times

Advertisements

Well here's the thing. Karks is right, there is no way in hell you will make 70K starting out, especially when firms like Goldman pay 60K for their IB analysts. In addition, because of this recession, Broadway has been one of the hardest hit industries in NYC.

You cannot afford a 1-Bedroom in Manhattan on $1500 / month, maybe a studio. It's cheaper if you have a roommate.

I am not sure what kind of entry-level salary casting pays but I can assure you that it's not in the neighborhood of 60-70K. You can live in Manhattan, but without roommates, you won't be saving much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 12:05 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,835,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCAnalyst View Post

You cannot afford a 1-Bedroom in Manhattan on $1500 / month, maybe a studio. It's cheaper if you have a roommate.
Im assuming that those types of jobs are in the same ballpark as fashion careers. which is 40,000 if you are lucky.

Old 11-22-2009, 12:41 AM

24 posts, read 76,334 times
Thanks for the advice guys. I have no idea why the website I saw told me otherwise, I guess it must have been wrong. I appreciate your replies...I'm very stressed out because it's really hard for me to get any actual information about this field that I'm trying to get into. I guess that's why I get so annoyed when I get laughed at (via the internet, I guess, lol) for having wrong information...I'm not a person who has been working in the industry for a while, so it's not that I'm stupid or overly optimistic or anything, I'm just relying on resources that are clearly not very accurate.

The type of casting I'm planning on going into is hopefully more film, tv, and commercial oriented, rather than live theater. I know Broadway has been hit really hard, and I was hoping (perhaps foolishly so) that the film industry and tv market was fairing a little better.

As far as apartments go, I was looking on the Village Voice website, and I saw a bunch of apartments on the Upper East Side for between $1300-1500. Has anyone used them before? Is that usually reputable, or is that unrealistic of me to look for?

Again, thank you for your advice. Very stressed out college student just trying to start putting things into place.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:12 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
Generally, if it's an advertisement in a reputable paper, the real estate ad is going to be legitimate; however, that's not to say that puffery is not used to stretch the imagination as to impart the impression of a more expensive property. The reason why most are legitimate, especially from brokers, is because they have to adhere to fair housing and NY law with regard to the advertisement of properties for sale or rent. And, as they are paid ads, not free on the Internet, you tend to find more legitimate brokers that way. Now, it's not to say that you should just believe them, but the Times and the Voice do tend to have more real ads than not.

However, the apartment may be real, but the boundaries of neighborhoods are nebulous. For example, you are looking on the Upper East Side, and come across an ad for the Upper Upper East Side, or Far Upper East Side, when there is no such neighborhood. It's East Harlem that they are trying to pass for the UES, which ends at 96th Street. That's a hard and fast rule, so don't believe hype that the neighborhood somehow extends north of the "traditional" border, because the police precinct also changes at 96th Street. The only area to which an exception could apply would be Carnegie Hill, using the historic district overlay, because that border has edged north of 96th in recent years, where a broker may advertise as Carnegie Hill and they are using the historic district boundary when the apartment is north of 96th Street.

The ads you have seen are likely places that are in walk-ups and/or have been converted into 1BRs from larger studios. Also, sometimes places advertise an apartment that may have been available at the time of publication to get someone in the door, but then when you arrive, it's no longer available -- a classic bait and switch. The other reason you may be finding them is that you must pay a broker to get into the apartment, as they may be stabilized, under statute, and the broker controls the apartment. Sometimes brokers will advertise where there is no apartment, in an ad that says something akin to a price range for apartments in their experience, but there's no guarantee that they are currently available. You may be told that the $1400 apartment exists, however, there is a tenant in place and you may apply if they decide not to renew their lease, and if you pay the broker's fee. There are a million games that can be played with real estate, hence why it pays to do your homework and see what's around before getting too excited about a potential property. But, there are legitimate agencies and good agents who do represent properties honestly, you just have to separate them from the percentage of agents who will do anything to get a deal.

Also, sign papers at their office, no exceptions! There's a scam where people sign papers at the apartment, give their money to the "broker," and in some cases move in, when the apartment was never for rent. It has happened with foreclosed properties recently and the "broker" has disappeared with your money, and you now have to find another place to live. If they resist going to the office, or try to steer you to a coffee shop, etc., walk away! No legitimate broker would ever refuse going to their office to close a deal.

You can find a place in your range on the UES, it's just going to take some homework and concessions as to size, whether or not it's a walk-up, etc. Look at the Times as well for some leads, and to get a gauge on prices, since the real estate section is comprehensive. And, remember Far East UES is fine, provided they're not trying to rent you a barge in the river , but Far North or Upper Upper or UES adjacent is a different neighborhood. Good luck!

ETA: If your salary is closer to $40k, you will need a roommate to find anything decent on the UES. Around $1500, you can find a place, but that requires a $60k salary, using the 40x rent rule.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: