U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 08:30 AM

1 posts, read 2,003 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

My hubby and I may be presented with the opportunity to move to NYC (this is a real maybe but being the person I am, I always like to plan ahead).

Together, we make 180 000 a year (net). I've read several posts and it seems that that figure is doable in NYC (perhaps not Manhattan - although some of you say it is). The tricky thing is......that we have one year old triplets!!!!! Yes, that's right...triplets! We would need three bedrooms.

I don't have much time to write right now but I thought I would get your thoughts on this...

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 10:21 AM

7,079 posts, read 33,733,092 times
And your question is....what?

Old 11-21-2009, 12:09 PM

965 posts, read 2,106,435 times
180k a year net, in a 3 bed in the outerboroughs. You guys should be fine

Old 11-21-2009, 12:45 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,416,510 times
As stated 180 k should be fine in the outerboroughs ONLY. But then again, do you really wanna raise kids on the outer boroughs if you're not native New Yorkers? Im not sure where your coming from; if you're moving from Philly, CHicago, Boston, Miami,you may be okay, but if you're moving from the midwest, or rural south the adjustment may be to big and you may wanna reconsider. NYCz reputation is that of a great night life but when native NYers have families, they often leave the city if they can afford it.

Old 11-21-2009, 01:35 PM

784 posts, read 2,469,533 times
Where you will stay is very important, because of your kids.

Would you send try and send them to an elite private school when they reach the age or say, 5-6?

If you are going public, I would stay in Manhattan...better public schools there.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:50 PM

6 posts, read 21,820 times
Default Beware the private schools...

Beware the private schools in Manhattan. Elite means lots of sex and drugs and shopping, schlocky education. Public schools much better, but admissions process difficult.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:12 PM

4,036 posts, read 8,648,723 times
Jersey, Long Island or Westchester. It's going to be difficult simply walking down the street with triplets. Then there's the subway ...

You need a car. The suburbs would be a much better option.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:52 AM

2,681 posts, read 3,574,680 times
I don't think the city is unworkable. Plenty of elementary schools are good in certain areas of each borough. It's only when middle-high school hits that things begin to go downhill. I do agree that it might be best to bring a car until you feel comfortable having the kids be still on the subway.

I'd say look into NE Queens, Southern Brooklyn, Manhattan south of 96st, and SI.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:11 AM

7,079 posts, read 33,733,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterWhimsy View Post
Beware the private schools in Manhattan. Elite means lots of sex and drugs and shopping, schlocky education. Public schools much better, but admissions process difficult.
That's utter nonsense. And I say that from first-hand experience.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:48 AM

176 posts, read 607,674 times
Hi,

We are both in similar situation my husband and I have twin girls 20 months old. We currently live in Brooklyn and make about 175k a year before taxes. Child care for the twins runs us about 1600 a month and that is cheap. We both have cars becasue we both need cars, my husband is an officer he has to drive to work his hours are all crazy and I work in suburbs and need a car to get there. It is alot easier for me to get around with the kids so you will need a car even if your husband doesnt. Than if a car you need insurance and insurance in NY is crazy however we lucked out that my husband is in the military so we get a good discount. You are looking to pay about 3k in good neighborhood for 3bdrm. We own our home and that is our mortgage right there 3k. It is doable and you can make it work, you have to budget and not spend as much but yes you could make a decent life here. My question to you is where you coming from? That might be a big factor. If you currently live in 3,000 square foot home with a big back yard and you have swings and stuff back there and luxury amenities, you will not have that here. You will be very close to your neighbor. Now if you go in surburbs than you might get a little more but be ready to pay alot of property taxes. I was recently looking to move to suburbs but quickly changed my mind, not only would you have to pay half a million dollar for fixer upper you have to pay at least 1k a month for taxes, depending on where you are you have to commute and to us it was not worth it. It is important that we stay a close nit family and if we are both commuting and hardly have any time home with kids than it is pointless. So we decided to stay in our tiny home with tiny back yard in Brooklyn but it takes hubby 30 minutes to get home and about the same for me and we spend alot of family time together. We take the kids to park for lack of back yard LOL. Good luck on your decision, if you are use to living the luxury life than you might have a problem being real close to your neighbor and having small space. If it is something you can get over than you could live a nice life here and enjoy all aspect of this wonderful city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City