U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 11:46 AM

8,389 posts, read 19,628,289 times

Advertisements

You just have to play around with the windows and find the right way to counteract the excessive heat.As the previous poster pointed out ,most older buildings in NY are overheated.I have widows open at least a few inches all winter long... even if it gets down around zero.If you play around with it you should be able to find a happy medium where the temp is neither too hot nor too cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 01:37 PM

10,605 posts, read 20,739,640 times
Some heat radiators have a valve that enables you to (somewhat) control how much heat comes out. Unfortnately I don't know much more than that, but you should definitely look at your radiator unit and perhaps ask the super. Does your radiator look like this? http://www.heatinghelp.com/images/po...ator_valve.jpg The main url for the website the photo is from (heating help) might lead to more solutions.
Also, if dry air is a problem, you could try getting a humidifier.

If you still really want to get out of the lease, you may be able to find someone to sublet from you for the rest of the lease term. If you get a sublettor, will you warn them about the jungle of cell phone antennaes and the heat situation since you were upset the landlord didn't warn you?

Old 11-21-2009, 02:08 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,416,510 times
Your best bet is to buy a humidifier for the air. 2100 is steep as far as finding another tenant. Unless your neighborhood is a known gang area or the building is having a total eclispe, a judge wont let you break a lease just b/c of heating issues. Your best bet for now might be find a cheaper apartment and paying the difference for whoever moves in next. If not, you may just be SOL.

Old 11-21-2009, 02:19 PM

6 posts, read 21,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post

If you still really want to get out of the lease, you may be able to find someone to sublet from you for the rest of the lease term. If you get a sublettor, will you warn them about the jungle of cell phone antennaes and the heat situation since you were upset the landlord didn't warn you?
Are you implicitly stating that is normal lying or "not tell" on antennas and problems with hot water? For you would be normal to rent a car with broken brakes?
However thanks for the advices on the radiator, it Italy we have radiators like this and I know how this works, but this is impossible to activate by hand.

Here we are going too far, I would know if there is a legal way to end the lease or, what the landlord whould do if I simply will go away. I'm paying 2100$ to live in a unconfortable place, for most of you it's not big money or big deal, for me it is

Old 11-21-2009, 03:10 PM

922 posts, read 3,406,472 times
If you abandon, the landlord has a legal right to enforce the terms of the lease. You answered this question in your first post by quoting the lease "You will remain responsible for each monthly payment of rent as it becomes due until the end of this lease. In case of abandonment, your responsibility for rent will end only if owner chooses to end this lease for defaults as provided in article 16"

This clause means that if you abandon, you will be responsible for continuing rent payments and the landlord is not responsible for mitigating damages by finding a new tenant. However, in all likelihood, the landlord will find a new tenant because it is a more stable situation, but she is under no legal obligation to do so.

Why not place an ad in Craigslist to try to find a new tenant?

Old 11-21-2009, 03:40 PM

8,389 posts, read 19,628,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
Your best bet is to buy a humidifier for the air. 2100 is steep as far as finding another tenant......
2100 is not steep at all for a 2 br apartment on 88th st/Amsterdam Ave.

Old 11-21-2009, 03:58 PM

10,605 posts, read 20,739,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nazza View Post
Are you implicitly stating that is normal lying or "not tell" on antennas and problems with hot water? For you would be normal to rent a car with broken brakes?
However thanks for the advices on the radiator, it Italy we have radiators like this and I know how this works, but this is impossible to activate by hand.

Here we are going too far, I would know if there is a legal way to end the lease or, what the landlord whould do if I simply will go away. I'm paying 2100$ to live in a unconfortable place, for most of you it's not big money or big deal, for me it is
Actually, all I asked was whether you will tell your potential sublettors or not. You didn't answer my question.

Will you? If your only way out of the lease is to find a sublettor, and all the sublettors are scared away by your warning, do you think you'll get desperate and not tell?

(By the way, I actually have no idea what you mean by the antenna problem -- are they loud, or do they interfere with your electronics?)

Lastly, your analogy comparing an apartment with too much heat and some antennaes on the roof to a car with broken brakes is completely ridiculous.

Old 11-21-2009, 04:19 PM

30,330 posts, read 31,201,438 times
Most apt. buildings in NYC are overheated. The problem is quite normal in older buildings that have no way for the individual tenant to regulate the heat. Open windows while you are wake and just close them before you go to sleep. Put bowls of water near the radiators to help with the dryness factor.

Old 11-21-2009, 04:25 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,530,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nazza View Post

Just find someone else. Your rent is reasonable, so just post on craigslist and claim that you need to move because you can't afford the place anymore or say you want to move in with a boyfriend/girlfriend or whatever. Your LL is being decent in letting you find someone else instead of holding you to the original lease.

As for the antennas, there is most likely no duty to disclose on something like that. I think your issue with it is stupid, but the law might disagree with me.

As for breaking the lease because you get TOO MUCH heat...that is just absolutely absurd. Open the window, everyone else that has lived in a building like yours has done the same.

Old 11-21-2009, 08:14 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,416,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
2100 is not steep at all for a 2 br apartment on 88th st/Amsterdam Ave.
I was not saying 2100 is steep for that location. I was saying for the average New Yorker its steep PERIOD! Meaning she have a hard time finding tenant on her own, especially if they read these post. Most NYers don't have 2100 in their back pocket for rent in a crappy lil apartment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City