U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 03:49 PM

5 posts, read 8,296 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm new to New York City, and considering where I should live. My income will be 5K/month after tax.

The factors I want to consider are:
1) closeness to the workplace (by walking or subway ride), which is Midtown East;
2) quietness: I'm a lighter sleeper.
3) safety: might work late
4) cannot share an apartment with more than 1 person.
5) possibility of taking advantage of the culture events of the city

After asking around, two options which within 20 minutes commute of my work come up:
one is living with a friend of my friend in a 2-bedroom apartment on 14th Street, which costs $1400/month. Pros: roommate is someone I can trust; safety might be better; Cons: noisy street; expensive living.

second is trying to find an apartment along E train in Queens, such as Elmhurst. Pros: cheap rent-reduce the cost half; may be a better sleeping environment at night; Cons: risk of having a good roommate or landlord; safety issue if I work late night

Are there major things I missed or misperceived? Could anyone local give me some advice what would you do if you are in my shoes. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 04:17 PM

10,604 posts, read 20,734,839 times
Can you visit your friend and spend the night to see if the noise bothers you? I think personally I would go for the apartment in Manhattan just because it's right in the middle of everything and you will not have to think about taking the train in from Queens every time you want to go out. This is more important if you're new in town, want to really explore the city and go out a lot.

Remember that in other apartments there can be issues that you wouldn't know about in advance, and that is 10x as true with unknown roommates. An apartment can be on the quietest block in NYC, but if your upstairs neighbor has a few kids and they stomp around on bare wood floors, that can be worse than traffic noise.

Old 11-21-2009, 04:21 PM

3 posts, read 1,283 times
Astoria in Queens sounds like it would be good for you.

Old 11-21-2009, 04:24 PM

30,322 posts, read 31,191,100 times
The E train in Queens doesn't stop in Elmhurst. To get to Elmhurst you would have switch to a local train from the E train. The E train stops at Roosevelt Avenue (Jackson Heights) and after that at 71st Avenue (Forest Hills). Forest Hills is a very nice neighborhood.
If you want to live alone in Queens you could perhaps find a studio apt. in Elmhurst, Rego Park or Forest Hills. (Rego Park like Elmhurst you will have to switch to a local train from the "E".)
Living in Queens is much quieter than Manhattan. But if you have noisy neighbor above you with a heavy tread you can hear them walking around even in the middle of the night.

Old 11-21-2009, 04:32 PM

My friend's commute from Elmhurst to midtown is 30 minutes door to door in the morning (a few stops on the local R/V and switching to the express E or F at Jackson Heights/Roosevelt Ave for the rest of the ride. But the commute can be much longer on nights and weekends when the trains don't run as frequently.

Elmhurst is not a very aesthetically appealing neighborhood. It's inexpensive and has a fairly good/fast commute to midtown, and has tons of great ethnic food and a shopping mall with a Target, etc., but besides that it does not have much going for it IMHO.

Old 11-21-2009, 09:48 PM

1,990 posts, read 6,839,531 times
Personally, I would go for an apartment in Queens.

In this economy, it would be a good idea to spend as little as possible, and if you shop around, you can find a nice apartment in Queens that is cheaper than Manhattan. As on poster stated, Astoria is a good idea. You stated that your job is in East Midtown. I assume that the nearest subway stop, would be on the Lexington line ( 4,5,6 trains ). If anything, you can take the N or W train from Astoria, and switch over the the Lexington lines via 59th St.

60K, in Manhattan is okay, but it would go better in the Outer Boroughs. Just my two cents.

Old 11-21-2009, 09:51 PM

5 posts, read 8,296 times
Thank you for those good tips. Yes, I guess I plan to see whether I can stand the noise. If not, maybe I should look for a place in Queens or Upper East Side.

Astoria Queens seems to take more than 30 minutes to commute.

Old 11-21-2009, 09:56 PM

1,990 posts, read 6,839,531 times
^^^ Astoria is only about 5 or 6 stops from Manhattan, or about 10 minuets from Midtown.

Old 11-21-2009, 10:40 PM

Astoria has very fast commutes to midtown.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/22/re.../22living.html

Old 11-22-2009, 09:23 AM

939 posts, read 2,713,488 times
Try Long Island City in Queens, around the Vernon/Jackson stop on the 7. Its the first stop in Queens and most of the housing stock is fairly new. You'd save money instead of Manhattan and you'd be very close, less than 10 mins to midtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or