U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 07:30 PM
zdg zdg started this thread

841 posts, read 1,655,311 times

Advertisements

Maybe you can explain to me why eating with our child is less relaxing than eating without her.

There's a major disconnect there.

Just because most people in America can't control their offspring doesn't mean we can't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 08:09 PM

24 posts, read 67,140 times
If it makes you feel any better, zdg, my parents took me out sometimes on weeknights and I didn't turn out a nutcase. Granted I grew up in Buffalo, but still. For what it's worth.

But I do have to agree that the reason you don't run into many families out and about is probably because most families stick to their own neighborhoods for dinners out, and there aren't lots of families in the areas you mentioned.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:11 PM

19,117 posts, read 32,666,756 times
there is nothing wrong with eating out with your kid on the weeknights...period. the OP is not going out at 10 or 11 pm with his kid, normal evening hours. now lets continue with the original purpose of the thread, and maybe suggest some kid-friendly restaurants in the city if anything.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-22-2009, 08:43 PM

10,605 posts, read 20,734,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdg View Post
Maybe you can explain to me why eating with our child is less relaxing than eating without her.

There's a major disconnect there.

Just because most people in America can't control their offspring doesn't mean we can't.
Relax. I did not see one response (maybe there was one that I missed) that said anything about YOUR child.

Your question was about other people's children, and other people's families, and you got some answers to your question.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:07 PM

10,750 posts, read 25,526,667 times
Another consideration is that at 6-8pm, many families might not yet have parents who are home from work, so they might not be eating out during the week together as a family. The nanny might be responsible for feeding the children while the parents take care of business dinners, etc.

And, not all children are easily pleased by restaurant offerings, unless it's a family-style establishment that has more options for children, so they might not be frequenting the same restaurants that adult couples do.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 11-22-2009, 09:07 PM

227 posts, read 721,157 times
Just stay on the UWS. I have never seen more obnoxious bratty children anywhere in my life. I made the mistake of eating lunch at a pizzeria today and when I finally left the restaurant, the streets of Manhattan felt as quiet and peaceful as lying in bed on a cloud, compared to the crying and screaming inside that place.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:26 PM

It's not that I WANT to see other families, I always just thought it was weird that we never see any.

I hate other people's children as much as everyone else on this site does. Most parents are clueless and raise animals.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Another consideration is that at 6-8pm, many families might not yet have parents who are home from work, so they might not be eating out during the week together as a family. The nanny might be responsible for feeding the children while the parents take care of business dinners, etc.

And, not all children are easily pleased by restaurant offerings, unless it's a family-style establishment that has more options for children, so they might not be frequenting the same restaurants that adult couples do.
Thank you. That's all I was asking for.

I think you're definitely directionally correct and that explains a majority of NYers.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:59 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,530,583 times
I was going to write what bmw did. I'd just like to post because I'd like to commend you for exposing your child to fine dining at that young age and for being active and energetic enough to take a trip with him/her after your workday.

Old 11-22-2009, 10:32 PM

7,549 posts, read 7,978,155 times
After school, on a weeknight, most people are in a hurry trying to squeeze the dinner meal in between, after-school activities, after-school orthodontic appointments, religious school, and homework. If you are going to eat out on a weeknight, most people want something fast and close by. That means McDonald's Wendy's Burger King, pizza, etc. If you went to a McDonald's on the UWS, that's where you'll find the kids. Not the best place to eat nutritionally, but that's where a lot of families who lack time and money will go for a fast meal.

You are new to New York and that gives you a different perspective. Most native New Yorkers have spent more time than they care for riding the dark, dirty subways. If you come home from work after riding the subway, the last thing that you want, is to get right back on just to go for a quick family meal. When you get home at 8 PM from that family dinner, in 11 hours, you are going to have to get back on that subway all over again to go to work in the morning. After a tiring day at work, it is a lot easier to walk a block or two to eat. Plus, adding round trip fares for 3 or more people adds to the cost of the meal. I can understand that you are still exploring and it is exciting for you. For those of us who have been living here our whole lives, after work, all we want is to watch TV and go to bed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City