U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 07:09 AM
zdg zdg started this thread

841 posts, read 1,656,189 times

Advertisements

Weeknights, we eat out. We live on the UWS but usually try to leave our hood to find dinner (West Village, East Village, Soho, Chelsea, LES, etc).

We have a 7 year old daughter who always goes with us and we've noticed that we're almost always the only family with kids out. In the subway down to the restaurant, at the restaurant, and then on the subway ride back home.

Where are all the families? Is everyone just taking cabs? Does everyone eat at home? I think it's really strange that between 6p and 8p in the largest city in America, we're always the only couple with child(ren) that we see.

What gives? Doesn't anyone else find that really odd?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 08:00 AM

8,389 posts, read 19,636,575 times
No,I don't think it's odd for a number of reasons.
First of all,there aren't that many families in Manhattan compared to other boroughs and areas completely outside of NYC.

Secondly,there is recession on and most families in Manhattan are on very tight budgets even in the best of times and even with hefty 6 digit incomes.I imagine that a fairly large percentage of the already relatively small percentage of families has dispensed with or at least cut back on eating out.I think families in Manhattan tend to spend a much higher percentage of their income on shelter than in other parts of the city.

Thirdly,when eating out you are choosing to leave one of the neighborhoods of Manhattan that might have more families and go to neighborhoods where there are even less families.I would imagine that a lot of families on the UWS who are still eating out don't drag the family to SOHO for dinner.They probably go to some restaurant very near their apartments that they walk to.There are lots of really good restaurants on the UWS.

You say" week nights,we eat out." Sounds like that means you eat out almost every week night.If true,I don't think you are the typical family at all.

Restaurants in Morris Park,Woodlawn and other areas of The Bronx seem to always have lots of families.You might even say they are crawling with families.But these are neighborhood restaurants in family neighborhoods and restaurants in The Bronx tend to be much,much more affordable.I am sure it's the same in other " family neighborhoods" of the city.

Last edited by bluedog2; 11-22-2009 at 08:17 AM..

Old 11-22-2009, 08:20 AM

7,079 posts, read 33,743,597 times
First, there are TONS of families in Manhattan! LOTS of 'em! Look around during the week!

Remember, you're in an affluent neighborhood - LOTS of the families go away for the weekend to the country, whether it's upstate or on Long Island.

Also, lots of parents don't consider going out with their kids a relaxing way to have a meal...

Old 11-22-2009, 08:29 AM

155 posts, read 507,095 times
....and lots of restaurant patrons don't find it relaxing to have loud misbehaving kids with uncaring parents who don't believe their darlings are doing anything wrong by running around and screaming.

I know that's not all parents or children---but it's the majority that's I've encountered here in the Village.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:30 AM

8,389 posts, read 19,636,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
First, there are TONS of families in Manhattan! LOTS of 'em! Look around during the week!

Remember, you're in an affluent neighborhood - LOTS of the families go away for the weekend to the country, whether it's upstate or on Long Island.

Also, lots of parents don't consider going out with their kids a relaxing way to have a meal...
I wasn't at all implying that there aren't lots of families in Manhattan,just that there are a lot less than other parts of the city...especially in the village,SOHO,etc.

And I still think that the biggest factor is that most families that eat out tend to go to restaurants that are near their apartments or houses...especially during the week.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:32 AM

8,178 posts, read 14,264,444 times
I would suspect that most people are at home having their children doing homework or studying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdg View Post
Weeknights, we eat out. We live on the UWS but usually try to leave our hood to find dinner (West Village, East Village, Soho, Chelsea, LES, etc).

We have a 7 year old daughter who always goes with us and we've noticed that we're almost always the only family with kids out. In the subway down to the restaurant, at the restaurant, and then on the subway ride back home.

Where are all the families? Is everyone just taking cabs? Does everyone eat at home? I think it's really strange that between 6p and 8p in the largest city in America, we're always the only couple with child(ren) that we see.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:40 AM

19,161 posts, read 32,707,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdg View Post

i think the primary reason is that neighborhoods such as west village, east village, soho, chelsea and l.e.s. are not family-oriented areas. im sure you'll see droves of families eating out in a place like park slope, instead.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-22-2009, 01:30 PM

4,480 posts, read 8,322,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
i think the primary reason is that neighborhoods such as west village, east village, soho, chelsea and l.e.s. are not family-oriented areas. im sure you'll see droves of families eating out in a place like park slope, instead.

First of all I think there should be certain hours children are allowed in resturants, especially trendy ones. Its hard to enjoy a nice meal when there are little brats are playing with the food and diving under the table.

as for familys on the subway...i do see a lot. Just last night I was on a car with a mom and her little boy from W 23rd all the way up to 86th? and the whole way he said "whats that" and she said "its a subway car just like your subway cars" over and over and over the WHOLE ride.

I hate children...

Old 11-22-2009, 07:09 PM

2,312 posts, read 6,520,661 times
I couldn't think of anything less relaxing than taking the subway from the UWS downtown with my family at night for dinner regularly on a weeknight--what about school the next day--but vive la difference!

Old 11-22-2009, 07:16 PM
zdg zdg started this thread

841 posts, read 1,656,189 times
Sorry, I didn't realize everyone in here hated eating with their kids/families. Noted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City