U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 11:34 AM

10,634 posts, read 16,220,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nectareous View Post
What kind of work experience do you have out of curiousity? I see so many jobs online to apply for, so you think the better people are settling for jobs we normally would? like MBA holders etc etc

How is the callback rate for interviews? I am from downstate NY.

Another thing I don't get is, why do native NYers always think they are better educationally or in general than someone who isn't from NYC? Not to offend anyone but I read that like a million times. I think its a little arrogant being NYC is the epidemy of people migrating in and out. I hope that is not what you were trying to say. I do have a NYC address if that is your concern for job search and NYC are code for phone number. I planned this to make my resume stand out so they won't not call me coz they have to pay for me to fly out for interview.
That is exactly what is happening. People who have been laid off are taking jobs that they normally would not take.

It's not arrogance, it's because employers in NYC are more likely to hire local people with local experience. That's why he mentioned being a native. They don't want to hire the people that move here with starts in their eyes and leave after 2 months.

Mod cut: not necessary

Last edited by Viralmd; 12-09-2009 at 12:15 PM.. Reason: Not necessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 12:31 PM

8,140 posts, read 12,525,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nectareous View Post
What kind of work experience do you have out of curiousity? I see so many jobs online to apply for, so you think the better people are settling for jobs we normally would? like MBA holders etc etc

How is the callback rate for interviews? I am from downstate NY.

Another thing I don't get is, why do native NYers always think they are better educationally or in general than someone who isn't from NYC? Not to offend anyone but I read that like a million times. I think its a little arrogant being NYC is the epidemy of people migrating in and out. I hope that is not what you were trying to say. I do have a NYC address if that is your concern for job search and NYC are code for phone number. I planned this to make my resume stand out so they won't not call me coz they have to pay for me to fly out for interview.
Cheektowaga is not downstate NY...lol. Isn't that in the Buffalo area?

No, natives are not more educated than anyone else, nor do we think we are. I am finding companies these days are trying to hire out-of-staters b/c they can pay them less. A native NYer is going to want a New York salary...whereas, if they hire someone from North Carolina or something, they can just pay them what they were getting paid when they were back home.

Call back rate for interviews? It depends. Your field may be different than mine. I am generally being beaten out by people with their masters (i have a bachelors only), people who will settle for less money, out-of-staters and minorities.

Old 12-09-2009, 01:40 PM

10,627 posts, read 20,764,898 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Call back rate for interviews? It depends. Your field may be different than mine. I am generally being beaten out by people with their masters (i have a bachelors only), people who will settle for less money, out-of-staters and minorities.
How do you go about finding out who beat you out for a job you interviewed for -- I would think this would only work if you have friend at the company who can tell you. Otherwise, I can't imagine that a call to your interviewer for feedback on your performance at the interview would yield any kind of statements about the race of the person they ended up hiring or how much they are paying that person.

Last edited by Viralmd; 12-09-2009 at 02:57 PM..

Old 12-10-2009, 10:58 AM

14 posts, read 44,311 times
Quote:
Cheektowaga is not downstate NY...lol. Isn't that in the Buffalo area?

No, natives are not more educated than anyone else, nor do we think we are. I am finding companies these days are trying to hire out-of-staters b/c they can pay them less. A native NYer is going to want a New York salary...whereas, if they hire someone from North Carolina or something, they can just pay them what they were getting paid when they were back home.

Sorry I did mean to say upstate new york where its snowing like crazy today!! I hope that is not true coz out-of-staters can't be d*mb enough to want to take less money if they already know what the cost of living in new york city is like and I doubt NYers would be giving up jobs that are scarce to begin with at the moment.

Personally I know how much it will cost me to live in NYC and I do have my own low point in pay that I will not settle for. Also, people tend to forget, when we live in small towns or out of state sure we pay less in rent but we also have car payment, car insurance and gas which is a lot. I paid $700 to maintain my car and $650 for rent and utilites in upstate NY. That is $1350/month which is pretty much rent and subway pass in NY (even if its a little outside manhattan with a roommate). Cost of living calculators are good but they aren't exactly logical like the human mind.

Old 12-10-2009, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post

How do you go about finding out who beat you out for a job you interviewed for -- I would think this would only work if you have friend at the company who can tell you. Otherwise, I can't imagine that a call to your interviewer for feedback on your performance at the interview would yield any kind of statements about the race of the person they ended up hiring or how much they are paying that person.
Good point! I didn't even think about that.

Old 12-10-2009, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
It's not arrogance, it's because employers in NYC are more likely to hire local people with local experience. That's why he mentioned being a native. They don't want to hire the people that move here with starts in their eyes and leave after 2 months.

This right here is the epidemy of arrogance/ignorance I was talking about, I doubt a well educated person who migrates to NYC with a professional job that pays to the standard of living will be seeing stars and leave in 2 months. Because that only hurt them, their resume and their career development. if you are talking about 18 yrs olds dreaming to be an actor or model then its a different story.

I doubt employers think this way, and most of all most companies in NYC do not operate just within their borders so being native makes no difference in otherwords. AND who is to say a person who is native isn't going to quit in 2 months? That is a chance every company takes when they hire someone. In our world today employees and jobs are both equally disposable, its employment at will.

Do you actually know someone who moved to NY with a real job, saw stars, and quit in 2 months? If not, your opinion is based on assumption, no?

Old 12-10-2009, 11:32 AM

Default Not for NY Native

I am hoping for answers from people who have actually made the move to NYC from another state or upstate NY.

Old 12-10-2009, 01:37 PM

922 posts, read 3,408,796 times
I did.

And coincidentally, Cheektowaga is my hometown too. My circumstances are a little different. I'm a software product manager with some unique experience in a particular niche. I targeted a small company in my niche and convinced the CEO to create a job for me.

Old 12-10-2009, 01:44 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,532,484 times
Quote:
Unless the recession fixes itself anytime soon, it is highly unlikely you will find a job. Good luck though- i'm like you, 28, 5 years work experience and I have been applying for a year and half and can't get anything...and I'm a native. It's tough out there!

Although if you are from another state besides NJ or CT or something, you may have the upper hand, provided you will accept a comparable salary to something in your home state and not be trying to get a New York salary. But...don't count on it.
Surely you realize that what field you work in has an effect on your job search, right? Like, if you were a doctor, you'd have a job.

Old 12-10-2009, 01:47 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,532,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstaterInBklyn View Post
I did.

And coincidentally, Cheektowaga is my hometown too. My circumstances are a little different. I'm a software product manager with some unique experience in a particular niche. I targeted a small company in my niche and convinced the CEO to create a job for me.
Good man!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City