Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 06:46 PM

1,943 posts, read 3,322,984 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I'm a dropped out college student from Michigan. I failed two semesters at my community college and after the second failed semester I was put on probation for Financial Aid (Pell Grant & Loans). I failed another semester and I had to drop out because I couldn't receive anymore financial aid to help pay for the tuition. I've been out of college since the summer of 09 and I'm looking to get back in college to get closer to my goals. I'm a 20 year old currently unemployed male that lives with my mother and I'm think I'm ready to get out on my own, I know NYC isn't the best place to do this for a person who's in my financial status, but I want to and I will take my chances. Also, another reason I want to move to NYC is to start my college life over and try to get accepted into a community college (CUNY) either LaGuardia or Kingsborough, maybe I could apply for financial aid and get some help to pay for the tuition. I know it's my fault that I messed up in college the first time, but I'm not looking to do that again.

So with that being said... I need a little help with some decisions. I'm looking to enroll in the fall of 2010, but October of 09 I was let go from my minimum wage job and I've been looking and applying for others jobs ever since and it's been hard, I haven't got one call back or anything. I know you should have a certain amount of money saved up before you move anywhere, but since I don't have a job I wouldn't be able to "save". I was thinking about having a job lined up before I move to NYC so I can have some kind of income coming in would this be a good idea? I've been also searching for some cheap apartments and I've been falling very short because of how EXPENSIVE it is, so I'm thinking about finding a roommate or two, or three to make living expenses better.

What are some of the cheaper neighborhoods in Brooklyn or Queens? If it's in a high crime area so be it because It can't be any worse from where I come from. =] I know race shouldn't matter because NYC is VERY DIVERSE but I'm an African American that love's diversity so please can you give me areas that are very very diverse!

Thank you everyone and I'm so sorry if this is long.
I checked out the sticky's at the top as well!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 09:17 PM

242 posts, read 1,181,285 times
Congrats on your decision to move! As far as cheap neighborhoods are concerned- im not that familiar with queens. But in Brooklyn I would try Bedstuy, Crown Heights or Bushwick. Each of those are relatively cheap neighborhoods- you can get a studio in parts of these areas for 800-1000, and 1 beds for around 1000-1200 ( both usually with heat and hot water included). I would just check craigslist daily and jump on deals when you see them. Im not sure that these neighborhoods are very diverse though. A great diverse neighborhood is clinton hill. Rent tends to be a bit higher there though unless yu score a great deal or a rent stabalized apt. Good luck!

Old 12-10-2009, 09:32 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,033,185 times
I'm assuming Kingsborough is in Brooklyn. I know Laguardia is in Queens. So where you end up living is going to depend on which school you get into because you will want to live somewhere convenient to school. If you go to Laguardia, one good cheap neighborhood nearby in Queens is Elmhurst (extremely diverse- very high percentage of immigrants, relatively safe, great transportation, tons of cheap ethnic food and markets). You should probably be able to find a share for around $600. Check craigslist.

There are plenty of affordable neighborhoods in Queens where you can find a reasonably priced share. They are not necessarily in dangerous or bad neighborhoods. Some are not as easily accessible via public transportation, so that is something you need to watch for.

Old 12-10-2009, 11:16 PM

12 posts, read 52,952 times
If you want to "start over" academcally, New York is NOT the place. If you couldn't cut it in Michigan you definitely won't cut it living and studying in NYC with the added financial pressure and the added distractions NYC brings.

Take it from a self made PhD who grew up in similar circumstances than what you describe. I lived in the ghetto with 7 family members in one room. If you want to get your life in order move to a place where your focus is school and not living it up in the big city. Also, Pell carries over NATIONALLY so, you will have to either appeal or pay for a semester on your own, bring your grades up and earn your financial aid back.

Private message me if you want details. I will be more than happy to point you in the right direction.

-S

Old 12-11-2009, 06:34 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,862,048 times
Frankly, I think you're cooking up a recipe for disaster. This is not the right place for you to concentrate on studies if you can't manage that back in Michigan.

Old 12-11-2009, 06:44 AM

9,239 posts, read 23,988,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Frankly, I think you're cooking up a recipe for disaster. This is not the right place for you to concentrate on studies if you can't manage that back in Michigan.
I agree.There are a lot of posts on this forum that make little sense.The OP here makes none.

Old 12-11-2009, 08:58 AM

203 posts, read 662,679 times
As for what neighborhoods you might consider I agree that it depends where you're going to school. It is very expensive here so be warned. I don't know Brooklyn well but for Queens if you go to Laguardia...Sunnyside is the closest but may be more expensive. Other than that maybe Jackson Heights and Woodside...Elmhurst and Briarwood/Jamaica Center further out. Basically neighborhoods along the E/F/R and 7 train lines.

But I agree with many of the others that don't think its a good idea. From what you've said, you failed and left community college in Michigan. You were let go from a minimum wage job there. So what makes you think you can make it here. At least in Michigan you can live rent free with your mother while looking for a job. It will be hard to find a job in NYC while living in Michigan...and it will be close to impossible to live in NYC without a job...

I think you should consider going to technical school to learn a skill if you don't think college is for you. Thats just my opinion...take it for what its worth.

Old 12-11-2009, 09:21 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,033,185 times
I initially had the same gut reaction - that this is not a good place for someone with an "at risk" academic history and little money, however, I did take notice that his writing is better than 90% of the other out of town posters who come here asking for advice about moving. We don't know what caused his initial failure in school but I am going to guess that it wasn't because of low aptitude.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:06 AM

1,111 posts, read 4,630,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I initially had the same gut reaction - that this is not a good place for someone with an "at risk" academic history and little money, however, I did take notice that his writing is better than 90% of the other out of town posters who come here asking for advice about moving. We don't know what caused his initial failure in school but I am going to guess that it wasn't because of low aptitude.
I agree, his post makes sense but his goal/desire does not.

I don't think NYC is the best place to move to considering the income that is required for a good standard of living and the competition for jobs here. If you plan on focusing on school, chances are you'll only be able to work a part-time job, which would not be enough to really live here. What I would suggest is moving some place that has a lower unemployment rate than Michigan and New York, low cost of living and good/decent schools. Forget about the big city and parties for now. That way, you will have a better chance to find a job, won't waste as much money on rent and living expenses, and then you will be able to concentrate on your studies and build up your GPA.

If after a year or 2, you still want to move - hopefully you'll have 2years of school completed and able to save some money to consider a move to a bigger city like NYC. Hopefully, by that time the economy will also be better to help with your move.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:40 AM

295 posts, read 1,501,970 times
BTW: You would have to live here for a year prior to taking classes to qualify as "NYC" residency and get the VERY discounted tuition.

I agree... I think the best advice I've heard was that once you are out of college due to poor grades, it's a good idea to find a job & re-think your goals for a few years. It's going to be harder to find a job in NYC than Michigan & you lose the support of your mom.

Brooklyn would IMO have cheaper housing & be easier to get to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City