U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2009, 04:08 PM

1,563 posts, read 3,204,227 times

Advertisements

Hello! I have always had a fascination with New York City. I would live there in a heartbeat if I had the means. I just had a few questions about Brooklyn for the locals. I have noticed that several people that I know that have moved to New York have ended up in Brooklyn. Has Brooklyn always been a good place to live or has is just recently been gentrified? Has it become desirable because of the lower cost of living or has it always been popular? Thanks and sorry for advance if this has been covered, I didn't see anything recent.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 04:25 PM

39 posts, read 217,713 times
I'm originally from Queens, but went to High school in Brooklyn, and lived there for a few years. Keep in mind that Brooklyn is a very large area and consists of several neighborhoods with very different vibes. It (meaning a handful of areas) has become desirable to non locals for a few years now. I went to school in Fort Greene in the late 90s, and remember thinking that the neighborhood was cool, but still scary. Thinking back, this was during the cusp of major change. Whenever I make recent visits, I notice that it has definitely become much more gentrified. I can say the same thing for Williamsburg and BedStuy(I used to live here).

And rent is not cheap IMO. Much lower than Manhattan, but to live in the nicest areas, expect to spend some dollars.

Old 11-23-2009, 04:48 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,414,971 times
A fasicination with NYC sounds a lil scary but I will try to give you some HONEST insight.
No Brooklyn has not traditionally been good. For a long time it was fashionable to say you were from Brooklyn b/c it gave you some street credibilty due how dangerous it was overall. It still has a lot of bad areas as a matter of fact but it is just tamed down from the 80's, mid 90's.
A lot of folks move to NYC and live there b/c they realize the dream of living in Manhatten is not really a reality when they get a load of Manhatten's rent prices. Plus the Bronx still has a bad stigma attached to it

Is a good place to live, depends on who you ask. It has gotten better, but for someone like me who grew up there in the worst of times, Brooklyn cannot get anymore of my money, too many negative memories. Beware though, even if you find a nice little pocket, in Brooklyn, you'r enever more than a mile or so off from the hood.

Old 11-23-2009, 07:13 PM

1,563 posts, read 3,204,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
A fasicination with NYC sounds a lil scary but I will try to give you some HONEST insight.
Hehe, I like to read alot about older American cities and urban living in general. New York IMO is the best.

Old 11-25-2009, 03:23 PM

84 posts, read 268,712 times
I know that there have been attempts to gentrify Bed-Stuy that didn't go well. Red Hook isn't very nice either. Well, I'm an outsider, I wouldn't know.

Old 11-25-2009, 05:33 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,414,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City of Motor View Post
I know that there have been attempts to gentrify Bed-Stuy that didn't go well. Red Hook isn't very nice either. Well, I'm an outsider, I wouldn't know.
No your pretty dead on with this poste. The part of Bed Stuy that they did Gentrify, they rezoned it and now include it as part of Clinton Hills

Old 11-25-2009, 10:49 PM

467 posts, read 1,653,613 times
I moved to Manhattan in 2007, then to Brooklyn this past June. My boyfriend was always lobbying for Brooklyn from the start, and while I'm glad we lived our fantasy in Manhattan on the Upper East Side, for Manhattanites, Brooklyn is such a secret. I love it here way more than Manhattan in every way, but you could never have told me that in 2007-2008. A lot of people think of the outer boroughs as inferior, but they really have a lot of what this city has to offer. Brooklyn Heights, Cobble Hill, Carroll Gardens, Park Slope, Fort Greene, Williamsburg and Greenpoint are all great neighborhoods that are close to Manhattan, and in southern Brooklyn there are neighborhoods with huge houses that make you think you're in the suburbs. There are sketchy and crime ridden areas, but you don't have to live or visit there. There's nothing wrong with moving to NYC and ending up in Brooklyn.

Old 11-26-2009, 12:59 AM

179 posts, read 672,888 times
Quote:
No your pretty dead on with this poste. The part of Bed Stuy that they did Gentrify, they rezoned it and now include it as part of Clinton Hills
Quote:
Originally Posted by City of Motor View Post
Red Hook is totally different place now,I went to Ikea down there and I was amazed how things has changed.Even Red Hook projects didnt seem scary,there are condos right near them going for $600,000 and up.

Old 11-26-2009, 06:00 AM

445 posts, read 1,203,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canyontothesky View Post
I moved to Manhattan in 2007, then to Brooklyn this past June. My boyfriend was always lobbying for Brooklyn from the start, and while I'm glad we lived our fantasy in Manhattan on the Upper East Side, for Manhattanites, Brooklyn is such a secret. I love it here way more than Manhattan in every way, but you could never have told me that in 2007-2008. A lot of people think of the outer boroughs as inferior, but they really have a lot of what this city has to offer. Brooklyn Heights, Cobble Hill, Carroll Gardens, Park Slope, Fort Greene, Williamsburg and Greenpoint are all great neighborhoods that are close to Manhattan, and in southern Brooklyn there are neighborhoods with huge houses that make you think you're in the suburbs. There are sketchy and crime ridden areas, but you don't have to live or visit there. There's nothing wrong with moving to NYC and ending up in Brooklyn.
My experience was somewhat similar to yours, except my husband and I moved to NYC in 1982 and lived in Manhattan till 1986. One time we missed our subway stop and ended up in Brooklyn and went into total panic mode, LOL. By 1986, we had a baby and wanted to buy an apartment with some outdoor space - Manhattan was too expensive so we moved to Park Slope. We've been in Brooklyn ever since. It's a lot "hipper" than it was back then but even in the mid-80's, Park Slope was fairly gentrified. I think PS was bad during the 70's but by the time we were there, it was a safe neighborhood. It's just that the borders keep expanding (all the way down to 20th Street, apparently, and back when we lived there nobody would have considered 4th Avenue to be Park Slope). In the 80's and even into the 90's, Prospect Heights was sketchy. When we were looking to buy a house, in the mid-90's, brokers were pushing Prospect Heights but at that point, it didn't seem safe. We moved to Boerum Hill instead. I love our neighborhood. It's convenient to Manhattan and a short walk to Park Slope, Cobble Hill, the Heights and Fort Greene.

My husband loves Red Hook and from time to time has tried to persuade me to move there, but the lack of public transportation is a dealbreaker to me. Plus, Red Hook is no longer a bargain. It's been "discovered".

All in all, Brooklyn has many wonderful neighborhoods. There are also some dangerous neighborhoods - I wouldn't live in Crown Heights or East New York if you paid me!

Old 11-28-2009, 12:33 PM

19,086 posts, read 32,655,211 times
Quote:
re-zoned? i dont think you know what re-zoning means by saying this. re-zoning means to change the use of the land, for example from manufacturing use to residential use. this does not change the neighborhood boundaries, maybe for brokers and transplants, but their definitions on nyc and its neighborhoods are as believable as bernie madoff promising me a 700% return. clinton hill still begins west of classon.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or