U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 11:46 AM

6,836 posts, read 12,361,946 times

Advertisements

The problem with rochdale village is that it's located in a dangerous neighborhood. Outside of co-op city isn't too bad. I use to work across rochdale in a senior citizen high rise and guy brewer is the hood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 06:05 PM

428 posts, read 679,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
MissMo,

Practically speaking, why not apply for both and then make your decision when the time comes. Perhaps the decision will be made FOR you.

Both are a pain in the ass commute to Manhattan presuming that is where you work but I know that Co-op City has an express bus but that's a $260 working commute every month + perhaps a Metrocard for another $112.

But long ago I got the application package for Co-op city and I was impressed at the size of the apartments.
Express Bus Plus Metrocards are $55 weekly (so $220 a month) and are unlimited for both the express bus and the subway and local buses.

I grew up in Co-Op City, and my parents lived there until 2000. The apartments are indeed a good size. Also some nice waterviews from many (not all) of the buildings. The apartment I grew up in looked directly onto the bay and Pelham Bay Park forest land. It is a major PITA commute to Manhattan though using the local bus/subway combo, express bus is the way to go. One thing about Co-op City vs. Rochdale besides proximity to Bay Plaza shopping is that Co-Op City is a bit more ethnically/racially diverse than Rochdale.

Old 08-11-2014, 05:18 PM

20,129 posts, read 26,416,255 times
Quote:

Express Bus Plus Metrocards are $55 weekly (so $220 a month)
Only if every month is February.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:47 PM

428 posts, read 679,306 times
Quote:
Only if every month is February.
Yeah, but there's also likely at least a couple of weeks a year when one is on vacation or its the holidays where you don't need an unlimited for the commute. I know that when I was getting 4 of those a month through TransitChek, I'd end the year with a surplus of at least a couple of Metrocards.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:55 PM

3,849 posts, read 7,294,379 times
Quote:
Both are a pain in the ass commute to Manhattan presuming that is where you work but I know that Co-op City has an express bus but that's a $260 working commute every month + perhaps a Metrocard for another $112.
The express bus pass works on the buses & subways. Plus, Rochdale also has an express bus (rush hours only), and an LIRR station, so in terms of commute, I'd almost say it's a wash. (Rochdale's bus-subway commute might be a tad easier than Co-Op City's, because the E is express. The "premium" commute might be a bit easier from Co-Op City, because the express bus runs more frequently, and the LIRR does see it's share of on-time performance issues, even if the in-vehicle travel time might be quicker)

Old 08-11-2014, 08:45 PM

19,086 posts, read 32,666,756 times
To get to my job in Tribeca to Rochdale takes me about 90 minutes (I've done the ride plenty of times to visit one of my good friends who used to live there).

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-11-2014, 10:37 PM

6,836 posts, read 12,361,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
To get to my job in Tribeca to Rochdale takes me about 90 minutes (I've done the ride plenty of times to visit one of my good friends who used to live there).
Damn man.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:55 AM

20,129 posts, read 26,416,255 times
Quote:
To get to my job in Tribeca to Rochdale takes me about 90 minutes )

Yoi, how awful.
I've gotten to Pennsylvania in that time.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:41 AM

9,882 posts, read 7,676,937 times
Quote:
If you time it right and take the A to Nostrand or the 2/3 to Atlantic Terminal for the LIRR to Locust Manor, you should be able to get there within an hour.

Old 08-12-2014, 05:29 PM

19,086 posts, read 32,666,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
If you time it right and take the A to Nostrand or the 2/3 to Atlantic Terminal for the LIRR to Locust Manor, you should be able to get there within an hour.
Who got money for the LIRR? Lol. Also my friend lived closer to Guy Brew so the LIRR is waayyy on the other side of Rochdale - about a 15 minute walk.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City