U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 10:18 AM

318 posts, read 922,099 times

Advertisements

bensonhurst is very racist. i honestly resent what it is and always will be! don't move here - i'd look in sunset park honestly - closer to city and not as ignorant, narrow minded, etc - still more affordable than other areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2007, 03:05 PM

127 posts, read 329,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstaterInBklyn View Post
Gravesend has Chinese residents - especially around the Avenue U and Neck Road stations on the Q. As for Sheepshead Bay - it's going totally Russian.
Avenue U! I grew up around the corner from that station.

Have you had the pleasure of seeing elderly Chinese women peeing at the curb? Or squatting on their heels for hours on end (how do they do that?), hawking beaded mesh slippers and screaming "one dollah-one dollah-one dollah-one dollah..." for hours on end? Or old men walking, hands clasped behind their backs (the women do this too), hocking lugies every few feet?

Just lovely.

Old 08-14-2007, 03:26 PM

Default you're killing me here!! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSeventhBrady View Post
Avenue U! I grew up around the corner from that station.

Have you had the pleasure of seeing elderly Chinese women peeing at the curb? Or squatting on their heels for hours on end (how do they do that?), hawking beaded mesh slippers and screaming "one dollah-one dollah-one dollah-one dollah..." for hours on end? Or old men walking, hands clasped behind their backs (the women do this too), hocking lugies every few feet?

Just lovely.
HAHAHAHAHA!! you are too on-point, i swear we must have been separated at birth.

i see all of those mentioned above on a regular basis unfortunately. i'm off the N at 20 avenue (hell). they stop, hock a lugie, then continue on to sift through not only my recycling, tearing a gash in the bag so my cans roll all over the street, but ALSO my garbage... yes, there definite gems hidden in my bags of trash - no one cleans this up, it just blows around and sits there smelling heavenly.

i almost got hit with a lugie once while waiting on the subway platform. i was like where am i? then a woman walked down the stairs holding an umbrella - not only is the platform shaded, but it hadn't been raining.

Old 08-14-2007, 03:33 PM

OMG! You mean my trash bags weren't special after all? I'm wounded!

And the umbrellas! I've never understood this. For all the effort holding umbrellas to shield them from the damaging rays of the sun, they're rewarded by being turned into the human equivalent of dried apple dolls.

And wouldn't you know it, we experienced the same thing in Italy this summer. Everywhere we went, Asian women were walking through the narrow streets -- in Rome, Sorrento, Florence, Venice -- carrying umbrellas that threatened to behead us at every turn. My husband lost it in Pompeii when, attempting to view an excavation (and he's 6'2") had his view impeded by a swarm of parasol-toting locusts. My kids will probably remember Pompeii as an ancient ruin covered with umbrella-like frescoes.

Old 08-14-2007, 03:35 PM

19 posts, read 100,562 times
yorker my brother is very responsible!

chinese women squating and peeing? rotfl. you all should tip them over and take off running.

Old 08-14-2007, 03:41 PM

OMG i am laughing uncontrollably at work..thanks for that. i'm at metlife in long island city aka queensboro plaza - great place to move a company such as metlife, across from the rikers bus and various stripclubs. NICE.

so my commute is from dirty hell to dirty hell.

we should make an event out of it. but they'd probably wack me w the umbrella or run over my feet with their carts of recycling...oh WAIT!! they do that anyway. i tripped and fell once and got run over by a cart of bottles and was wacked on the back with it as it passed by. they pack a punch those little ladies...

the best part is that many of the umbrellas are the black dollar store variety...um BLACK?? smart choice for deflecting the sun's rays....

Old 08-14-2007, 03:44 PM

10 posts, read 33,108 times
Hi, Bensonhurst is a cool place if you ok with being surrounded by Russians, Chinese and Italian, and in that same order, they are very reserved to their own, i won't say it is descrimination though. The good thing is that Bay ridge is fairly close which is a trendy, uplifting and modern area - which is where we spend most of our time. As far as raising a family, if it matters, that is why I am looking to move out of the area, being here for 3 yrs and the kids are mostly rude and obnoxious, I have met a few exceptions but not that many.

Old 08-14-2007, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by havasq View Post
Hi, Bensonhurst is a cool place if you ok with being surrounded by Russians, Chinese and Italian, and in that same order, they are very reserved to their own, i won't say it is descrimination though. The good thing is that Bay ridge is fairly close which is a trendy, uplifting and modern area - which is where we spend most of our time. As far as raising a family, if it matters, that is why I am looking to move out of the area, being here for 3 yrs and the kids are mostly rude and obnoxious, I have met a few exceptions but not that many.
being rude and obnoxious is not limited to kids... by a long shot.

Old 08-14-2007, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amy_cate View Post
OMG i am laughing uncontrollably at work..thanks for that. i'm at metlife in long island city aka queensboro plaza - great place to move a company such as metlife, across from the rikers bus and various stripclubs. NICE.

so my commute is from dirty hell to dirty hell.

we should make an event out of it. but they'd probably wack me w the umbrella or run over my feet with their carts of recycling...oh WAIT!! they do that anyway. i tripped and fell once and got run over by a cart of bottles and was wacked on the back with it as it passed by. they pack a punch those little ladies...

the best part is that many of the umbrellas are the black dollar store variety...um BLACK?? smart choice for deflecting the sun's rays....
Look, we can blend in among the women if we really try. Go to whatever store they manage to find those short-sleeve polyester knit Chairman Mao-era knit shirts they wear, throw on white socks under cheap slip-on sandals (and flood pants -- don't forget the flood pants), clasp your hands behind your back, and go! Slowly, of course. Blocking the sidewalk.

Then take a bathroom break. Preferably at the curb, of course.

Old 08-14-2007, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSeventhBrady View Post
Look, we can blend in among the women if we really try. Go to whatever store they manage to find those short-sleeve polyester knit Chairman Mao-era knit shirts they wear, throw on white socks under cheap slip-on sandals (and flood pants -- don't forget the flood pants), clasp your hands behind your back, and go! Slowly, of course. Blocking the sidewalk.

Then take a bathroom break. Preferably at the curb, of course.
hit up 18th avenue - or one of the 1000s of dollar stores that keep popping up. seriously on my walk from the train to my apt i pass 4 dollar stores, 2 chinese restaurants, 2 "coffeehouses" with soccer on big screen tvs and fat old italian men smoking cigars outside, 4 nail salons... i'm sure i could outfit myself accordingly.

haha- the hand clasp...hilarious!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City