Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2013, 08:18 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,241,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Why don't you go to Monroe College that is located in The Bronx? Why would you want to go to a school that is more for young people? Most of the younger people are immature and a lot of them do not take school serious. However if that's the type of school that you would like to go, then I respect that.
Monroe isn't a cuny so it would cost more...
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2013, 08:19 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,241,325 times
I've taken classes at BMCC, the quality of the professors is very good. Once you get over that sometimes walking around the BMCC buildings it feels like the 5th grade of high school it's not a bad place to do what you have to do. Most of the night or weekend classes have working people who work full time so you don't have to deal with the immature students.

Old 12-21-2013, 07:12 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,672,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BxChick1230 View Post
I am looking forward to go back to school. I am 23 years old, and not sure if I will major in Biology or Nursing. I know that I will want to continue to get my bachelors. I read that BCC has an articulation agreement with Marymount to continue a degree in Biology which is great. I am busy working like crazy now to save up enough money to work only part time while in school, so I dont have a lot of time to go visit all the schools and spend enough time to get a good feel for the people. I want to find teachers that are committed,
I want flexibility in the schedule, and I also dont want a school that is mostly filled with much older people, not that it bothers me, but I would love to finally be able to socialize with people my age since ive been out of the loop ever since having my daughter a few years ago.

So if you can help by telling me a little about these schools, that would be great.
1. Find out which one you want to major in......Biology or Nursing! Can't go wrong, these days, with anything in the science or health field!

2. If you choose biology.....does Marymount have scholarships for BCC students? Something you want to think about if you choose this road!

3. DON'T SHUT OUT THE "OLDER PEOPLE"!!!!! They may more than likely be either your mentor (in a lot of ways) or your network! They, more than likely, are seasoned in the workplace, and may give you hook-ups!

4. Look at all situations, (school, major, flexibility, etc!), and see which is the best fit! And don't be afraid to look outside the parameters you set to find that! Keep all options open!

5. Make the time to visit the schools and majors in question! While I understand the issues with work and childcare, it is most important to SEE what you are getting into (program, major, etc) and the people (faculty, staff, etc!) you are dealing with!

Old 12-21-2013, 09:21 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Why don't you go to Monroe College that is located in The Bronx? Why would you want to go to a school that is more for young people? Most of the younger people are immature and a lot of them do not take school serious. However if that's the type of school that you would like to go, then I respect that.
Do not consider Monroe College.

Old 12-21-2013, 09:24 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
I've taken classes at BMCC, the quality of the professors is very good. Once you get over that sometimes walking around the BMCC buildings it feels like the 5th grade of high school it's not a bad place to do what you have to do. Most of the night or weekend classes have working people who work full time so you don't have to deal with the immature students.
BMCC is the best choice.

You will find many older people, as in not 18 years old, usually working to re-orient themselves to a different career, sciences from liberal arts for example - many women, many women with families.
There are also flunk-outs, young, from the New York public schools, but you will find them in many schools.

Other hand - as is the case with anything, in education you get what you pay for. Bear in mind that at the community colleges, people are often teaching ten courses a year, which does compromise the possibility of "commitment." I do know a few very good people who teach at BMCC, and I have met people who went there, career transitionals, and who thought it served their purposes quite well.

Old 12-21-2013, 09:57 AM

92 posts, read 230,466 times
I guess nobody has noticed the date...

She's probably close to graduating by now.

Old 12-21-2013, 10:15 AM

579 posts, read 945,549 times
Lehman College - Department of Nursing - Overview

I would think that Bronx Community College might be nicer because it has a great campus, the old NYU uptown campus in the West Bronx. Also, why not consider Lehman College's nursing program for transfer later? See link above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City