Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 08:52 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,595,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
Thanks Fred314X. What cross street? Myrtle is a long block.
Vanderbilt, Waverly, Washington. That general area along Myrtle. You may be pleasantly surprised!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 07:52 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,672,216 times
Quote:
OK ... so far I have the following suggestions --

Brooklyn: Ditmas Park, Clinton Hill, Brooklyn Heights
Queens: Astoria, Briarwood, Kew Gardens, Sunnyside
Bronx: Riverdale

Just wanted to add a bit more info that might help to generate more options:
1) I have a car and will need on-the-street parking
2) I don't drive to work -- I commute to Grand Central and walk from there
3) I have a cat
4) I prefer to run errands via public transportation, walking or bike so I don't have to move the car (I'll need basic shopping, laundry, cleaners, library, post office, etc. nearby)
5) I have a diverse group of friends whom I would want to feel safe when visiting me
6) I prefer cafes and restaurants over bars and clubs

Thanks for your prompt responses!
If it wasn't for the car, Id say Parkchester, Bronx!

How much do you need the car. Based on the responses, it looks like a "not that much"!

Old 12-01-2009, 08:01 AM

2,440 posts, read 6,257,311 times
Riverdale is nice and safe, but it is totally dullsville. Don't think you would be happy.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:16 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,240,149 times
Quote:
Single African-American woman, no kids seeking a safe, fun (restaurants, movies, bookstores, shopping) neighborhood in Queens, Brooklyn or Bronx to purchase co-op or condo. Not really into to hipster/trendy neighborhoods (she's older than that) or predominantly "family" neighborhoods. Looking for diversity in race, age and marital status. No more than a 30-40 minute commute to midtown Manhattan required. Thanks.
You can definitely get something for that price range in Parkchester (BX) although the commute will be more like 45 to an hour. Neighborhood is serviced by a midtown express bus and the 6 line.

If you want to keep your car that bad, street parking is not gonna happen in P'Chester, only garage which will probably be in the 150-200 per month range.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:17 AM

223 posts, read 615,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Vanderbilt, Waverly, Washington. That general area along Myrtle. You may be pleasantly surprised!
That area of Clinton Hill is has nice but it's you'd have to take a bus to downtown BK or the Gtrain which in my experience lives up to it's bad reputation.

Once again I'm thinking Ditmas is coming up tops again. I have friends who live there and they have a car. Recently I visited them on a Saturday and they had a spot right in front of their building and they said they usually don't have much problems with parking. We left in the car around 2 pm and returned about 7 and pretty much parked in the same spot.

Also, The Q isn't bad at all. It connects with the shuttle (which connects to many lines in BK) at Prospect Park and it goes diagonal uptown through Manahattan so it hits most of the train lines.

Old 12-01-2009, 01:49 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,352,690 times
In case anyone's interested, here are some suggestions that I got from friends.
Queens
- Jackson Heights
- Rego Park
The Bronx
- Co-op City
- They also included an area of Yonkers in walking distance to the Greystone Station
Yonkers (I'll consider it since it's close enough to The Bronx and the location is within walking distance of the Metro-North)

Co-op City wouldn't work because the only way to get into midtown quickly is on an express bus. The Yonkers option at least provides a train.

I think Jackson Heights is a good option. Lots of train options, including the E/F (express). Rego Park is okay but it's on a local train line. Ditmas Park and Clinton Hill sound like good options too.

Thanks to all for the suggestions!!!

Old 12-01-2009, 05:45 PM

34,080 posts, read 47,269,417 times
parking your car is going to be a major issue for you if you want to have a 30 min commute into the city via public transportation. the closer to manhattan, the denser the neighborhood. so more people = more cars = more stringent parking regulations in order to keep these heavily trafficked streets clean. long island city and maybe astoria are the only 2 neighborhoods close to the city that parking may not be an issue...otherwise you might as well ditch the car, or live further away from manhattan.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-01-2009, 08:46 PM

61 posts, read 176,853 times
Queens sounds about right for you. Jamaica Queens around Jamaica Avenue area, Jamaica Estates. Astoria, Elmhurst, Rego Park, Jackson Heights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City