Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 06:34 AM

1 posts, read 4,695 times

Advertisements

This thread is not meant to offend anyone.

But I was in NYC (Manhattan) for 2 weeks to visit my friend. She doesn't have a NY accent but the rest of her NYC buddies did.

They all sounded as how men would sound like with the use of the "N" word and saying "B", "Yo son" "mad" ( as a word to explain something as being very much of someting. Like you have "mad" piano skills) and all that gangster city talk. They use the same words the men use. And it just doesn't sound like anything a girl would say. And on top of that they talk so fast.

Yet they all made fun of my Southern accent. At least I don't sound like a man.

So why do they sound like men? Anyone else notice this?

Old 12-04-2009, 06:57 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,333,205 times
i'm presuming they're young. it's just the youth vernacular around here.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:30 AM

141 posts, read 194,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltzingNMoonlight View Post

But I was in NYC (Manhattan) for 2 weeks to visit my friend. She doesn't have a NY accent but the rest of her NYC buddies did.

They all sounded as how men would sound like with the use of the "N" word and saying "B", "Yo son" "mad" ( as a word to explain something as being very much of someting. Like you have "mad" piano skills) and all that gangster city talk. They use the same words the men use. And it just doesn't sound like anything a girl would say. And on top of that they talk so fast.

And what kind of an answer are you expecting?

Old 12-04-2009, 08:42 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,313,464 times
I think you are just surrounding yourself with the wrong kind of people. Kinda like me going to the South and hanging with the trailer folks who have no teeth and can't read. Would this be an accurate representation of Southerners? I sure hope not...but it is an accurate representation of a segment of that population.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:45 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,802,294 times
Southern Accents are like nails on a chalk board to me.

I have a midwestern accent and I am very very aware of it. I am not really sure what you look to gain by posting that NYC girls talk like me on the NYC board. Maybe you should try posting this on the Alabama/Mississippi/Georgia/NC/SC or whatever state you live in board and you might get a better response.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:56 AM

9,239 posts, read 23,973,977 times
Quote:

That's hysterical.This is not to offend anyone but I have always thought that all southern men sound like women.

Maybe there is something in our waters that makes NY women sound like men and southern men sound like women.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:59 AM

13 posts, read 38,425 times
Default ny vernacular

Haha, i know what u mean. its not just nyc by the way. its new york state in general (atleast the places in NY ive been). i grew up there near syracuse in a city called auburn. i am living in egypt now and even when i lived in vermont and stuff.....people wouldnt understand me when i talked like that....esp my friends in egypt. i agree that its just the vernacular of the youth. i think that is an accurate description. i am 25 and grew up speaking like that....not sure why it is that way..just a part of our culture i guess.

Old 12-04-2009, 09:03 AM

13 posts, read 38,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
That's hysterical.This is not to offend anyone but I have always thought that all southern men sound like women.

Maybe there is something in our waters that makes NY women sound like men and southern men sound like women.
Haha must be all those pharmaceuticals remnants in the water . well i have a cross between a british and middle eastern accent now or so my family says and i dont speak like that anymore. compliments of living abroad for years

Old 12-04-2009, 09:08 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,242,451 times
Quote:

Surely you weren't in Manhattan. My observation has been that the predominant Manhattan accent these days is a midwestern accent (Ohio, Illinois)

Old 12-04-2009, 09:10 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,542,449 times
Quote:
lol...you must have run in to my ex-wife, her mother, and her sisters. I had to bail out as fast as I could.

Yeah, WaltzingNMoonlight...I have noticed what you describe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City