Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2009, 07:08 PM

5 posts, read 4,943 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!
I'd love some advice from people who actually live in New York. I am a Junior at the Maryland Institute College of Art and I am getting an internship for the Spring 2010 semester in New York through SVA's New York Studio Program. My school's facilities are in DUMBO and since I chose the internship option, I would only need to attend their sessions every Friday 12:30 to 3:30pm and obviously go to my internship as required which would probably be in Manhattan.

Given these factors, where would you live? Right now, I have a couple options with my budget (my school's giving me $780/month, hopefully I can make more). I've been looking at Bensonhurst, Long Island City and Kensingtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 01:27 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,283,961 times
Does the school offer placement assistance for a roommate or in any sort of accommodation? I would talk to the housing office if they have one, since a short-term lease is going to be a bit difficult to secure. Most leases are for a year, but you could potentially find a sublet. Since travel to/from school is not an everyday commute, you're a bit more open in terms of areas to consider.

Kensington is not a bad area, per se, but it's not a gentrified neighborhood like DUMBO. It's a little rough around the edges when compared with Park Slope, Brooklyn Heights, etc. LIC is mixed, some new buildings are nice, and there are some industrial areas.

You could consider Astoria, either for a share or for a small basement apartment in that price range. And parts of NJ that are PATH accessible might also be worth considering. Parts of Jersey City, Hoboken, Weehawken, etc. are convenient and are less expensive than other areas that close-in. Parts of JC are not as nice, however, but there are some decent areas in your range.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City