Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2014, 05:38 AM

343 posts, read 1,092,876 times

Advertisements

Never been to housing court myself, but I've heard it's a real pain in the ass that usually just prolongs the tenant's living in the residence. I know plenty of ppl who rent apartments in their houses and always end up having to take someone to court. Although the FINAL decision is typically in favor of the landlord, that decision can take months-2 years to reach, during which time the scumbag tenant has been living rent free.
My coworker is currently going thru the eviction process and said the judge has ruled in her favor. So I asked what happens if the tenant still doesn't leave she said "the Marshall" will come to remove him. Let's see if Marshall comes..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2014, 05:47 AM

2,517 posts, read 4,256,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup107 View Post
This whole NY housing court system is "SO F'D UP", this laws seem to protect the non paying tenant who just finds it ok to live off of a hard working tax paying person. My family and I have been back and farther to court with a tenant that has not paid rent in over 9 months and she just continues to get over on the system. Our last court appearance she got issued a judgement to be out by the end of the month(yes, we finally thought it would be over)..... but low and behold this good for nothing non rent paying,non bill paying unemployed,poor excuse for a human being has now filed an order to show cause for more time, which now have me and my hard working, going to work everyday family to go back to court. What i'm really trying to wrap my head around is the fact you were asked to leave 9 months ago in which time you should have been finding you someplace to go, what is getting more time going to get you now that you have not acquired in the last month, and how do you feel comfortable as a grown ass person living off of someone else's blood sweat and tears. It is just so frustrating and at this point we could care less about the money she owes, we are never going to get it anyway and (she has already put us in debt) WE JUST WANT HER GONE AND OUT OF OUR LIVES!!!!
Welcome to landlording in NYC! This is the BS us landlords have to go through. This is why it is super important to do your due diligence on prospective tenants and screen the fruck out of them. This is why you must ask for their tax returns, W2s, several months of bank statements, several months of work pay stubs, most recent copy of their utility and rent bill from their current place. Check their credit and require them to make 650 credit score in order to qualify. Do a criminal and sex offender check as well as an eviction and housing court check.

If you don't look out for yourself and whats in your best interest, no one else will.

And if you get a prospective tenant who tells you the documents you require are too invasive, show them the door!

Old 03-02-2014, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLove View Post
Never been to housing court myself, but I've heard it's a real pain in the ass that usually just prolongs the tenant's living in the residence. I know plenty of ppl who rent apartments in their houses and always end up having to take someone to court. Although the FINAL decision is typically in favor of the landlord, that decision can take months-2 years to reach, during which time the scumbag tenant has been living rent free.
My coworker is currently going thru the eviction process and said the judge has ruled in her favor. So I asked what happens if the tenant still doesn't leave she said "the Marshall" will come to remove him. Let's see if Marshall comes..
Unfortunately, NYC has pro-tenant laws.

Old 03-02-2014, 12:05 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,259,290 times
If I owned a 2-family house, every prospective tenant would have to provide their last 12 cancelled rent checks, their last 12 paychecks, and a financial statement. I would order a FICO score.

The tragedy is that the only time a landlord tries to evict a tenant is if they don't pay the rent or are destructive.
The burden of proof should be on the tenant, not the landlord. But I believe the judges are all former "tenants rights" advocates. So the landlord, who often needs the tenant's rent check to pay for the mortgage, is screwed.

Often when tenants are excellent, landlords don't bother to raise the rent for years, even when market rents are significantly higher.

Old 03-03-2014, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post

The tragedy is that the only time a landlord tries to evict a tenant is if they don't pay the rent or are destructive.
The burden of proof should be on the tenant, not the landlord. But I believe the judges are all former "tenants rights" advocates. So the landlord, who often needs the tenant's rent check to pay for the mortgage, is screwed.

Often when tenants are excellent, landlords don't bother to raise the rent for years, even when market rents are significantly higher.
Totally agree.

You are right about the housing judges being former housing advocates/court attorneys representing tenants. Therefore, these judges from the get have a bias against landlords and will be sympathetic to tenants.

So whom ever says rental laws in NYC are in favor of landlords, has no idea what they are talking about.

Old 04-09-2014, 12:00 PM

2 posts, read 6,729 times
If it is an illegal basement apt. It will take 13 months, and the judge will not get your back rent. It happen to my friend.

Old 04-09-2014, 12:02 PM

2 posts, read 6,729 times
There is also a book called the tenant's right. That book is a the Bible of screwing the landlord.

Old 04-09-2014, 12:24 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,499,620 times
Even if a tenant has perfect credit, great income, no evictions, and tons of money in the bank, they can still f**k you. I think it's really just luck of the draw with that.

Old 06-02-2014, 04:50 PM

1 posts, read 3,182 times
To "nonstopmom" please send me the name of your attorney. I have a tenant in the Bronx who has stopped paying rent and is no longer communicating. She has even taken it upon herself to change the locks on the door. I need a attorney that is reasonable and can get the job done quickly.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:42 PM

419 posts, read 626,109 times
how about hire some local mafia give those parasites a proper beating. i am sure its cheaper than attorney and quicker than court process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City