Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 09:36 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,374,651 times

Advertisements

I would not waste time with an organization. Call a housing attorney and get the process going immediately. Let the tenant know you will not only see him in court, but also on his credit report and housing court judgement for years and years to come...it's the gift that keeps on giving!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 11:24 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times
I gave an eviction lawyer's phone number to a neighbor across the street from me, her tenant was giving here grief for what seemed like decades...anyway, last friday, the marshall and the locksmith came and I heard screaming from outside...boy was the tenant pissed.......she is now not allowed to get into her apartment until a court order and bla bla bla...

she deserved it, she never showed up for the court dates and gave the lady hell...So the lady and her son thanked me so much for giving them the right person to get rid of her.

point is, it takes months, the tenant will get court dates, in which they never appear, and it does cost money.....but once that marshall shows up and the locksmith changes the locks, the tenant will at that point know the LL means business..

I hated the lady's tenant, she had woken me up many mornings screaming at the lady from outside the house till, one morning i screamed back at her from my window and really layed into her good.

so when I heard the yelling the day of the marshall I stood outside and watched the whole thing and she saw me and i just smiled..... knowing it was ME that really got her evicted.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:38 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,106,143 times
Someone I knew was given first 3 months to find a new apt, then an extension. All told, she moved 8 months after she stopped paying rent and still had a month to go before the actual eviction.

Judges are very sympathetic to tenants who cannot pay and don't take into consideration the landlord who needs to pay his/her bank!

Old 09-07-2012, 12:58 PM

6 posts, read 28,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I would not waste time with an organization. Call a housing attorney and get the process going immediately. Let the tenant know you will not only see him in court, but also on his credit report and housing court judgement for years and years to come...it's the gift that keeps on giving!

My attorney has sent out notice to cure and lease termination notice (along with a request for non payment). We did not hear from the tenant at all. But he did threaten me earlier that I would not be able to kick him out for months and that if I tried to access the unit he would call the police to arrest me. My attorney assures me that the court date will happen sometime really soon. My concern right now is how much longer will this deadbeat tenant get to stay in my unit rent free (his tenancy is a little over a month, and he is a young guy in his early twenties)? I am paying a lot of money every month for this place (as it is a luxuary condo). On top of that I am 9+ months pregnant and I still need to drag myself to work in order to pay for him to stay at my place for free. It is really absurd. I wrote a letter to the mayor's office but have never got a reply. Landlords in nyc should have an internal organization to share bad tenant information and eviction cases so that we are not being taken advantage of like this. People think that rental business is lucarative. I rented a basement apt for years before i saved enough to buy my first place. It is unfair for these freeloading tenants to abuse the system.

Has anyone been able to collect back rent or compensation to damages after the judgement?

Old 09-07-2012, 01:44 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,255,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumpling View Post
My attorney has sent out notice to cure and lease termination notice (along with a request for non payment). We did not hear from the tenant at all. But he did threaten me earlier that I would not be able to kick him out for months and that if I tried to access the unit he would call the police to arrest me. My attorney assures me that the court date will happen sometime really soon. My concern right now is how much longer will this deadbeat tenant get to stay in my unit rent free (his tenancy is a little over a month, and he is a young guy in his early twenties)? I am paying a lot of money every month for this place (as it is a luxuary condo). On top of that I am 9+ months pregnant and I still need to drag myself to work in order to pay for him to stay at my place for free. It is really absurd. I wrote a letter to the mayor's office but have never got a reply. Landlords in nyc should have an internal organization to share bad tenant information and eviction cases so that we are not being taken advantage of like this. People think that rental business is lucarative. I rented a basement apt for years before i saved enough to buy my first place. It is unfair for these freeloading tenants to abuse the system.

Has anyone been able to collect back rent or compensation to damages after the judgement?
If you get a judgement against the tenant, you can garnish his wages.

Old 09-07-2012, 01:57 PM

6 posts, read 28,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
If you get a judgement against the tenant, you can garnish his wages.
The problem is I relied on a broker to find this tenant and the broker did not do his homework - I do not have any of his personal information so screwed. I do not even know where he works. Wonder when we go to court I can request for his work information?

Old 10-17-2012, 09:40 AM

2 posts, read 8,959 times
i am dealing with a mother daughter tenant. i had to put my house up for sale because of my job. i was transfered upstate and want to move closer to work. they new about this and i told them i am putting the house up for sale. when they saw the forsale sign, the trouble started. not paying rent, taking them to court, and paying for a lawyer.
they have been making threats of burning my house down, and playing a phsycological war game on my wife. trying to get us in trouble with everthing they can. mind you, they been livining with us for five years now. my lawyer made the phone call for the marshall to evict. they where supposed to be out in september. they are all ready disobeying a court order. hope they are out soon. and my house is in short sale as it is. so they cant stay. how long will it take to get them out?

Old 10-17-2012, 09:45 AM

197 posts, read 517,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumpling View Post
The problem is I relied on a broker to find this tenant and the broker did not do his homework - I do not have any of his personal information so screwed. I do not even know where he works. Wonder when we go to court I can request for his work information?

biggest mistake imo, i would NEVER trust a broker to find me a tenant. They just care about getting their commission and getting out of there. They will make anything up to get the tenant in your apartment. I screen every tenant myself, check bank/paystubs/credit report and get a feel for them by talking to them.

Old 10-17-2012, 09:48 AM

2 posts, read 8,959 times
i wish you where my neighbor! LOL i have a mother daughter tenant i am dealing with. waiting for the marshalls to evict them. i had to sell my house and move because of my job. they been making threats to burn my house down. can i use that in court against them? the house is in short sale anyway. would that be a plus as well?

Old 10-17-2012, 10:03 AM

197 posts, read 517,530 times
i'm not a lawyer, can't really say. I only had to evict tenants once and they left living rent free for 4 months. Best thing is for you to speak w/ a lawyer. Maybe someone here can post a recommendation for a good one, i know there are a bunch that are pretty clueless, so wouldn't pick one out of a phonebook
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City