U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would you rather see the MTA do?
Raise the fare, and maintain all services as-is. 56 53.85%
Cut service, but not raise the fare. 17 16.35%
Close the subway between 3-5am, with no fare increases or regular service cuts. 31 29.81%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 12:44 PM

8,750 posts, read 16,068,644 times

Advertisements

At this point I want to avoid the fare being raised again. And if possible, I would actually prefer closing the subway from 3-5am (for example, it can be 2-4am or something similar) to save money/clean and maintain the station rather than cut any regular service or raise the fare.

I am willing to be without the train for a couple hours at the dead of night and just take a cab or make alternate arrangements. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 01:05 PM

403 posts, read 1,258,452 times
ABSOLUTELY NOT. The subway is the LIFEBLOOD of a city that has it's roots in 24 hr culture. Closing service at these times goes against this and weakens its global position. NY's 24hr envioment is one of the edges it has to a place like London. What we need to do is break the unions before their unwillingness to compromise brings us all down. (i.e. GM)

What makes New York such a special place is it's ability to house anybody's lifestyle. Plenty of people use the subway at what are deemed "off hours." Not to mention forcing people to spend money on taxis to get home when out late. This will put downward economic pressure on business that thrive on late night culture, resulting in less tax reveune for the city, etc etc. NY becomes a less attractive world destination. Ny has always been about aggressively positioning itself for the future. Closing the subway at night defies this and tows the line. Not what we're about people. We can do better. Let's lead the city into another generation of greatness. :-)

Last edited by adambos; 12-15-2009 at 01:19 PM..

Old 12-15-2009, 01:14 PM

5,805 posts, read 8,570,195 times
I'd prefer they just close the Subway between 3-5am....because for me whenever I'm hanging out late at night I always catch a cab.. I know this isn't most people so I voted for increase the fares..

Look the MTA is hinting at 3$ fares anyway, if it could get away with it that's what we'd be paying, but instead to keep the riding public from really having a distain for the MTA, they'ed rather Nickel and Dime their way to 3$ Quarter here Quarter there blah blah blah.

But cutting the serivce would be the absolute worst - the subway is already at Max capsicty on certain lines (4,5 and 6 and the E comes to mind). if they Cut the service something bad is going to happen.

The MTA and the State of NY are as corrupt as the MOB....No joke, this will never end.

The MTA takes in over 2 million dollars a day, yet they're broke....

I learned that Money for buying Buses, Trains, and Repairs dont even come from the State or Fare Collection that money is provided by the Fed's....So the Money the Public Pays and the State subisidizes are purely for operational purposes, and the MTA wants us to believe they cannot operate on 2million a day! PLEASE!!!!!!!

Old 12-15-2009, 02:24 PM

46 posts, read 93,594 times
$3.00 for a subway token? That's a shame, I remember when it was .50 cents. This means every time you go out it's $6.00 bucks a wack, to and from, with the people in the boroughs at the MTA's mercy. For the longest time the Staten Is ferry was .25 cents.

Old 12-15-2009, 02:54 PM

1,121 posts, read 6,033,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb62 View Post
$3.00 for a subway token? That's a shame, I remember when it was .50 cents. This means every time you go out it's $6.00 bucks a wack, to and from, with the people in the boroughs at the MTA's mercy. For the longest time the Staten Is ferry was .25 cents.
A lot has changed since the 1970s, a lot. For one thing, we don't use tokens anymore and the ferry is free. Lindsay and Beame are are also dead.

Old 12-15-2009, 03:06 PM

8,480 posts, read 20,391,369 times
I think it might actually cost more to shut the system down for a few hours than would be saved.If you shut it down you have to close and reopen the stations,etc. Every day ? Doesn't make sense.
Raise the fares.

Old 12-15-2009, 03:58 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,586,523 times
Best to shut down service between say 2 and 5. Whose really on the train at that time anyway save for bums, hooligans and young people partying. Most streets, even in Manhattan, have free parking at those hours anyway.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:29 PM

3,223 posts, read 8,507,469 times
Cutting service would be the worse thing because time is money.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:46 PM

40,056 posts, read 30,544,535 times
Just for the record, there's a fare increase already on the books for 2011. So this debate isn't actually going anywhere.

I should also note that this isn't the first time certain newspapers have run alarming-sounding articles using the word "doomsday." Last time that happened, the threatened cuts vanished like the breeze. I have a sneaking suspicion that MTA is doing nothing more than testing newly elected city comptroller John Liu--whom they detest with a passion. If any one person is going to expose the goings-on behind the doors at 2 Broadway, Liu is the man.

Mark my words on this.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:52 PM

643 posts, read 1,776,453 times
And what will he find should this stuff be uncovered by Liu?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or