Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 02:53 PM

278 posts, read 1,519,897 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=2]http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/18/ny...2J9Qoj28OIy5UQ[/SIZE]

Just curious. How do you think this will affect NYC? Do you think this is a good thing? or bad thing?

Personally, I believe a lot of people are going to have to fend for themselves. They wont be able to rely on the system as much as they used to. I don't know how this would be done, but looks like most people wont have a choice.

Old 12-18-2009, 03:08 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,374,651 times
It is 3,000 out of the alloted 90,000 per year. Will it send the economy into a tail spin? Nope. Will it devastate the poor in NYC? Nope. Will it keep a few people in the shelters for awhile longer. Yes. it sucks..but there are no guarantees. Relying on the system is never a good idea..because these things happen. I am surprised that more vouchers were not cancelled. I would think alot more would have been cancelled..so I guess that is the silver lining...90,000 vouchers were doled out...only 3,000 were cancelled during the city's worst financial crisis possibly ever. I would say thats pretty darn good.

Old 12-18-2009, 03:13 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,888,133 times
This is absolutely great news. It means that there will be less distortion caused in the housing market by these government programs. I hope they never issue another section 8 voucher. I also really hope the city doesn't actually divert money from something else to give these people the money the vouchers would have given them.

Old 12-18-2009, 03:56 PM

4 posts, read 12,710 times
Default ignorant

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradstudent77 View Post
This is absolutely great news. It means that there will be less distortion caused in the housing market by these government programs. I hope they never issue another section 8 voucher. I also really hope the city doesn't actually divert money from something else to give these people the money the vouchers would have given them.

Who are "these" people whom you are refering to? Can you explain? Thanx

Old 12-18-2009, 04:01 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,888,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwayneteamo View Post
Who are "these" people whom you are refering to? Can you explain? Thanx
The 3,000 people who were promised vouchers, but have now been told that they won't get them anymore.

I don't hate the poor or anything like that, I just believe that the market will tend to get us better results if we just let it function and that, in general, many forms of government transfers make things worse for people as a whole.

Old 12-18-2009, 07:44 PM

278 posts, read 1,519,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
It is 3,000 out of the alloted 90,000 per year. Will it send the economy into a tail spin? Nope. Will it devastate the poor in NYC? Nope. Will it keep a few people in the shelters for awhile longer. Yes. it sucks..but there are no guarantees. Relying on the system is never a good idea..because these things happen. I am surprised that more vouchers were not cancelled. I would think alot more would have been cancelled..so I guess that is the silver lining...90,000 vouchers were doled out...only 3,000 were cancelled during the city's worst financial crisis possibly ever. I would say thats pretty darn good.

Honestly, I think there will be more vouchers terminated. Which means more homeless people. But your right. Relying on the system is never a good idea.

Old 12-18-2009, 07:55 PM

3 posts, read 7,207 times
Ok, ok. Nobody likes a Freeloader. BUT paying out 30% of you income toward rent -- as per sec 8 guidelines -- isn't exactly freeloading is it? More like doing the best you can.

Don't knock folks on the Brink, lots of people are there now who never thought they would be.

Old 12-18-2009, 08:26 PM

461 posts, read 2,000,313 times
Relying on the system is never a good idea. Besides, relying on the system makes these people lazy and deters them from bettering themselves out of fear that if they start earning more money, they won't be eligable to get FREE money anymore because they no longer qualify for assistance.

3,000 cancelled vouchers if you think about it is really NOTHING compared to the 90,000 given. Consider yourself lucky if you recently got a voucher.

I have to agree with gradstudent77 in hoping the City doesn't issue anymore Section 8 vouchers. Let these people fend for themselves without asking for a handout, on OUR dime. I'm taxed enough as it is. Time to take off the training wheels.

The Section 8 program indeed distorts the rental market like gradstudent said plus it also contributes to the "undesirableness" of a neighborhood. I see it in the Bronx all the time. Especially when a Landlord is financially TEMPTED to take in a Section 8 tenant over a regular steady working tenant because Section 8 would pay more for an apartment that the Landlord couldn't get from a regular tenant.

This is especially true now in this slow rental market and economy where Landlords are having a hard time filling vacancies, forcing their hands to accept a Section 8 tenant when otherwise they wouldn't.

Old 12-19-2009, 10:25 AM

2 posts, read 4,070 times
My neighbor was renting an Apt to a Section 8 Tenant and asked " do you work?" she quickly barked " im not crazy, the government gives me money. Im not crazy to work". She was about 32 years old with 3 Kids. very able to work, but why if she has a free ride off us the working force. I have a full time job, work weekends 80% of the year and go to school at night. when i see that my taxes go to animals like her... (yes to me shes an animal) it makes me wish the person that approved her app were fired. The city needs better screeners and should give anyone living off our taxes (our money) a job. ( cleaning in government buildings/propertys, parks, cleaning the streets like the (alliance workers do) and classes should be mandatory. My parents came here from europe not knowing any English and worked hard to support themselves. Why can't they ?

Old 12-19-2009, 10:42 AM

1,014 posts, read 3,585,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-NYC View Post
My neighbor was renting an Apt to a Section 8 Tenant and asked " do you work?" she quickly barked " im not crazy, the government gives me money. Im not crazy to work". She was about 32 years old with 3 Kids. very able to work, but why if she has a free ride off us the working force. I have a full time job, work weekends 80% of the year and go to school at night. when i see that my taxes go to animals like her... (yes to me shes an animal) it makes me wish the person that approved her app were fired. The city needs better screeners and should give anyone living off our taxes (our money) a job. ( cleaning in government buildings/propertys, parks, cleaning the streets like the (alliance workers do) and classes should be mandatory. My parents came here from europe not knowing any English and worked hard to support themselves. Why can't they ?
I agree with you 100%. I realize there are people in true need not not people like that woman you described. That is the example of section 8 tenants who ruin decent working class neighborhoods all over the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: