Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 01:01 AM

593 posts, read 1,660,770 times

Advertisements

Seriously, I wonder what my life would have been like if my family stayed in NY. It probably would be better than my life in Jersey for sure. My environment has made me into a Mod cut person.

Last edited by Viralmd; 12-30-2009 at 05:08 AM.. Reason: Language
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 08:30 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times
Must agree with you there. Nothing compares.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Of course I miss NYC! Nothing compares to NYC.

Old 12-30-2009, 04:47 PM

542 posts, read 1,099,378 times
I moved upstate for school and i love it here (except for the snow).

Things about NYC that I miss:
1. family/friends
2. Food - believe or not, i can't find anywhere that sells beef salami!
3. Clubs - now, i'm not a big clubhead anymore, but every now and then, i like to go out and listen to some really good house music. that is nonexistent up here. no one seems to dance up here.

Things about NYC that i do not miss:
1. the crowds
2. the overpriced closet size apts
3. pretentious transplants
4. how performing everday errands are a pain in the azz

It wasn't until i moved up here that i could finally afford a nice apt, and the ease of everyday life her was such a shock to me. The thing is, when you grow up in NYC, you get used to everything being a pain in the azz, and then when you leave, you realize that life could be so much simpler. There's no need to carry a chip on your shoulder to make sure no one takes advantage of you. There's no need to get ready to argue @ the drop of a hat.

That being said, i'm still glad i grew up there and spent most of my adult life there, i just can't see myself living there anymore. If it weren't for the horrendous winters up here, i would stay. But i'm a warm-weather person, so once school is done, i'm heading to the sunshine state!

Old 12-30-2009, 04:51 PM

966 posts, read 2,445,737 times
I have been missing NYC lately, but I keep my fantasizing in check by reading that wild thread about all the bizarre things happening on the subways. Again, craigslist helps, too. lol. Call it being scared straight. I will visit, preferably in June, when NYC is just friggin' gorgeous.

Old 12-30-2009, 05:41 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,305,494 times
I grew up visiting NYC a lot, about three times a year, so I don't live there, but I am always thinking of NYC. I'm 26 and been going since I was 12. I remember one time I was like, "I don't know if I could live here." (I was in Manhattan and that's why) It was weird because I love NYC so much, but for some reason, on that day, I really had to ask myself if I could ever live there. It was Manhattan and I didn't have knowledge at the time about the homes of the boroughs. Right now, I have no logical reason to move to the City, times are tough for all right now. Nevertheless though, I always am thinking of NYC and wishing I were there. You know, the "hustle and bustle" as I heard it described as while growing up. The business and the global interaction (I am one of those ambitious folks). Also the various recreational and leisure things that enriched me as a person. I like challenges and being in NYC as a kid, I always tried to do things on my own, haha. I pretty wanted to get comfortable there because I thought I would move there one day. I rode the subways on my own, found the routes myself, walked the streets myself. I wanted to know if I could make it there. I always take something away from NYC, as a person, when I visit. Growing up and being there gave me a contrast to growing up in a Mid-West state. I developed things that I would not have developed if I didn't spend a lot of time in NY. I knew at a young age that I didn't want to be one-sided and not well-rounded and NYC seemed like the place to get to know more about life and what it is really like. I've met so many friends from there, got to be exposed to so many different cultures and it did harden me and prepare me for a lot in life.

I always said NYC was my second home, but I feel like it was my first in spirit and I just happened to get displaced to where I was born.

Last edited by SoEdible; 12-30-2009 at 05:57 PM..

Old 12-30-2009, 05:59 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,645,971 times
Left NY in 1996. I've felt sorry for New Yorkers since 9/11. I just wouldn't feel safe. Still miss the friends and the food.

Old 12-30-2009, 06:22 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,948,883 times
I moved from New York to Connecticut about 15 years ago, and I don't miss it at all.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:43 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
I think all of you guys echo how I feel -- NYC was nice the first 28 years of my life, but then I got married and things changed. I admit that I wouldn't have voluntarily left New York had it not been for my husband. At the same time, I can honestly say that I am glad that I did.

It's just a bunch of things that make me feel this way. Cost of living is a major thing -- I make $7K less here but I am not taxed into oblivion. I pay no local and state income taxes. You also get quite a bit for your housing dollar and you're not living in a dump either (our home is over 3K sq ft, whereas my Bronx Condo was 1K sq ft). I am close to big box retail shopping. People find this funny, but I had never shopped at a Wal Mart before since there weren't any in my borough. I'm so glad that I discovered this store, because I really like it. Your food dollar also stretches here, as well. In a recession, who wants to be taxed to death and pay through the nose for everything?

I agree that NYC is an awesome city. That is why I enjoy visiting it (besides family reasons). But to live? Not anymore. The lifestyle I am living now I'd pay an arm and leg in the suburbs of NYC, and it just isn't worth it. Also, there are a LOT of transplants in Austin...and they open up businesses. So I can get my NY pizza fix easy because a guy from Little Italy, Bronx struck gold opening up a pizzeria down here.

Old 12-30-2009, 11:24 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,027,306 times
No, I don't.

At first I did back when I moved to LA in 2003. I just couldn't believe how country Los Angeles was compared to NYC. It took me a long, long time to accept the slowness of this place and how far behind the times it was.

The reason I wanted to move back to NYC was for employment purposes. Didn't matter how bad things got there was always work available. Now since this recession/depression not so much. I just miss my family and shopping for cute, inexpensive clothes that don't break the bank. Other than that, No.

Old 12-31-2009, 08:29 AM

18,469 posts, read 31,635,068 times
It's the weather here in NY that ruins everything. It is never nice enough consistent enough to enjoy. North East weather is really crappy. That alone makes me not like it to much here,
but like most folk who live here, family is here, job is here, so moving is not just that easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City