U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 01:39 PM

3,039 posts, read 5,926,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenchtownrockx View Post
I'm a young white female who lived in East New York (Cypress Hills section) for about 3 years. I actually didn't mind the neighborhood AT ALL. If seeing run down houses scares you, then don't come. No one EVER bothered me, or my family. I currently live in Ridgewood, and while much more diverse, I would live in Cypress Hills again any day. Go South of Pitkin, and it starts getting a little shadier, or go West of the Police Station on Sutter, and it's the same over there, but still not that big of a deal.

Things could happen in Cypress Hills, just like they could happen in ANY OTHER NEIGHBORHOOD, and they have.
Very true... And in regards of that neighborhood we lived throughout different sections of East NY and moved over to Ridgewood as well. We lived on Pitkin then we moved to Cypress Hills and even in its hay day while it wasn't perfect, it was not bad at all... It sorta reminded me of how Ridgewood is in the sense that yea, you'll see things happening from time to time but it doesn't really affect you in that part of town because for the most part crime over there is isolated... Now step into most of the other parts of ENY and its a different story but that part is decent. I will say this though, the 75th precinct which covers this neighborhood has been on an increasing crime trend over the past two years now and while a good portion of the crime takes place in other parts of ENY, you do still have to take precaution. Now in terms of investment, it's not a good one IMO... chances of gentrification in that area aren't great because it is right next to one of the worst neighborhoods in the city and is further from manhattan than most other Brooklyn neighborhoods... The neighborhood demographics would go something like this 60-65% Hispanic 30-35% Black 5% asian/white which is how it's pretty much been for years now but instead of the original ghetto white population that was there it's more working class now...

I know this is four years later but I saw the renewed interest in this thread and figured it was worth noting what this neighborhood is all about circa 2011...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2011, 08:18 PM

343 posts, read 846,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trenchtownrockx View Post
I'm a young white female who lived in East New York (Cypress Hills section) for about 3 years. I actually didn't mind the neighborhood AT ALL. If seeing run down houses scares you, then don't come. No one EVER bothered me, or my family. I currently live in Ridgewood, and while much more diverse, I would live in Cypress Hills again any day. Go South of Pitkin, and it starts getting a little shadier, or go West of the Police Station on Sutter, and it's the same over there, but still not that big of a deal.

Things could happen in Cypress Hills, just like they could happen in ANY OTHER NEIGHBORHOOD, and they have.
Are you kidding us?

Old 07-05-2011, 04:45 AM

164 posts, read 384,571 times
Interesting viewpoints on Cypress Hills. I have a friend (young female hispanic) who moved to Hemlock right by the Crescent St. J stop in 09. She got a really good deal on an apt. in a private house. Within a month of moving in, she was held up at gunpoint while walking from the train to her apt. This happened during winter around 6:30ish on a Friday. Considering it was payday, she had a good amount of cash on her & was robbed of everything. I realize this is the experience of one person, but for me, this area is not safe.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:52 AM

4,841 posts, read 8,230,791 times
That area isn't safe. I remember a few years ago taking the B13 through there and overhearing a convo that a hispanic teenager was having on the phone. She was talking about how her boyfriend got locked up for stabbing a deli owner. Never took that bus ever again.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:47 AM

1,271 posts, read 2,244,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
That area isn't safe. I remember a few years ago taking the B13 through there and overhearing a convo that a hispanic teenager was having on the phone. She was talking about how her boyfriend got locked up for stabbing a deli owner. Never took that bus ever again.
But why would that affect your view on whether a neighborhood is safe? People can have those kind of conversations on the UES for all you know. That doesn't seem like a valid reason to declare a neighborhood unsafe.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:55 AM

304 posts, read 532,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post
But why would that affect your view on whether a neighborhood is safe? People can have those kind of conversations on the UES for all you know. That doesn't seem like a valid reason to declare a neighborhood unsafe.
Plus how do we even know that she lives in the area or the crime happened in that area?

Old 07-05-2011, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post
Unless she's coming from Ridgewood/Bushwick and so happens to work in East New York/Cypress Hills, she probably did live around there.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:03 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,631,859 times
I did a photo-tour in the area some months ago. If you folks are interested to see the area in terms of Photography, here you go - Ungentrified Brooklyn: Where transplants dare not set foot - SkyscraperPage Forum

Old 07-12-2011, 10:17 PM

Those are some amazing pictures, reminds me of when I use to live there.

Old 08-03-2011, 03:09 PM

274 posts, read 575,692 times
I visited the area this past weekend - July 2011. The area has tremendous potential - and I mean it. With Highland Park and the Ridgewood Reservoir the area could be a real gem. But it has some way to go.

I checked spot crime which is valuable to see where the crime occurs. Highland Park/Cypress Hills has some areas with much less crime. Basically north of Fulton and east of Vermont. The Norwood, Cypress Hills and 75th Street stops are safest.

Below Fulton it gets very unpredictable. I walked down to Pennsylvania onto Liberty and headed quickly north as the area from Atlantic and below is terrible and feels unsafe even in the daytime (why? well a guy is selling bottled water to cars whizzing by, industrial buildings empty or no windows, the few brownstones barred up and run down). The blocks between Atlantic and Fulton vary - I walked up one and it felt like a Brooklyn version of a Norman Rockwell painting - well kept houses, kids hanging and running thru the fire hydrant spray and people sitting outside enjoying the nice weather. Then I turned onto Fulton and walked over to Van Sicien and you had a guy smoking a blunt , a women dressed scantily and walking awkwardly in a drug haze near a fried chicken shop near the Van Sicien stop. When I looked down the street you saw a few guys putting up the thug look as they sat on the stoop as if on the lookout for police.

North of Fulton the area improves greatly - most of the houses are kept up well with only one house I saw tagged on Norwood and it seemed more the work of kids - just scribble.

Now looking at spot srime there has been a few crimes on Jamaica and in the park over the past year but mostly late at night. So, you go with precaution.

I will say I met some of the friendliest people ever - one owner of a Dominican food joint raved about his nabe and shared the prices ($1200 for a 2 bedroom, basement 1 bdr 850/mo) and invited me back, another young woman and I discussed how she would love to renovate the property she lives in owned by her Mom. We had a great chat for 30 minutes. I found a huge old fashioned Bakery on Atlantic - immaculately kept, nice service staff in white uniforms and tasty lemon meringue pie - very 1950s.

The BIG drawback aside from being very close to high crime areas is you need a car to get to shopping with variety and high quality. The park needs a little TLC - but it is like a mini Prospect Park - and the Reservoir needs to be completed with its renovations - I think the city just doesn't have the money to fix it up which leaves the reservoir in state that attracts crime.

Honestly, I'd move there - probably north and northeast of the Norwood station. But I am a white guy 6'1" and a decent build. I met a petit Hispanic woman who moved to the nabe and has been there for several years - she likes it finds it quiet. Yet she also said the city used to have big concerts in Highland Park until there was a shooting. So a mixed bag.

I think the advice to rent it out and get section 8 is the worst idea in the world - you are making a buck and just reinforcing a cycle of poverty. Those people need to be living in more affluent places as that environment will increase their chances of getting out of poverty. Plus for someone with not alot of money, they would benefit from a shorter commute. So, stop being greedy and why not get involved in the community and see what you could do to make the area a cross between "working /middle class" Park Slope and the Atlantic Ave section of Brooklyn Heights. Because I think it could be that if anyone had the vision. Imagine the crime reduced so working and middle class families wouldn't worry too much about their kids in the evening. Imagine Atlantic Ave with a miux of appliance shops, some markets, a place to buy video games and a little movie theatre showing first run films and maybe on a few weekends over the year an art film and a concert. Imagine Highland Park's path's fixed up and the Reservoir finally turned to a lake and nature preserve where you could have a quiet, contemplative walk along the reservoir as an additional option to barbequing as is popular now, playing volleyball(I love watching the guys from Mexico play - it is their own style)

Finally, for those looking at moving to any nabe, check the Community Board Reports - very valuable. As you read the one for this area (East NY-New Lots-Cypress Hills-Highland Park) you see ton of chemical dependency and mental health services in the area but note where they are many are south of fulton street with the majoprity below Atlantic.

Last edited by astroia 34567; 08-03-2011 at 04:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or