U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2007, 11:12 PM

5 posts, read 58,651 times

Advertisements

Hi

My husband has been headhunted to Manhattan, and is flying there soon. We live in Australia. I have never been to the US or lived in a big city. We are thinking of negotiating a salary of 125K for one year there, and $150K for two years, and maybe even more for more years there. We have a nearly 2 year old, and a nearly 4 year old. Is this enough to have a fairly decent living on the upper east side? Is it toddler friendly? Are there safe places to exercise and play? Activities and programs for toddlers in museums and so on? As a primary teacher myself, I guess I am right in that I probably won't be able to work? Is this priced apartment convenient to toddler friendly places? Is the subway safe for me and my children? At what age do children start school? Is pre school compulsory? Or expensive? Oh so many questions in my head. I am having difficulty sleeping. I do love art, cafes and museums, so I am quite excited about the prospect of living there though.

Erio
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2007, 11:20 PM

1,529 posts, read 1,881,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erio View Post
Hi

My husband has been headhunted to Manhattan, and is flying there soon. We live in Australia. I have never been to the US or lived in a big city. We are thinking of negotiating a salary of 125K for one year there, and $150K for two years, and maybe even more for more years there. We have a nearly 2 year old, and a nearly 4 year old. Is this enough to have a fairly decent living on the upper east side? Is it toddler friendly? Are there safe places to exercise and play? Activities and programs for toddlers in museums and so on? As a primary teacher myself, I guess I am right in that I probably won't be able to work? Is this priced apartment convenient to toddler friendly places? Is the subway safe for me and my children? At what age do children start school? Is pre school compulsory? Or expensive? Oh so many questions in my head. I am having difficulty sleeping. I do love art, cafes and museums, so I am quite excited about the prospect of living there though.

Erio
You already made a thead about this which got responses. Keep your questions in there.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...-2-4-year.html

Old 05-22-2007, 03:19 PM

6 posts, read 18,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
You already made a thead about this which got responses. Keep your questions in there.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...-2-4-year.html
I am guessing that she re-posted because in her last post her questions did not get answered instead there was a debate about high schools, which is probably not a big concern for her right now.
If I had answers to your questions I would share, sorry and good luck on finding some information!

Old 05-22-2007, 03:36 PM

1,529 posts, read 1,881,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracieaz View Post
I am guessing that she re-posted because in her last post her questions did not get answered instead there was a debate about high schools, which is probably not a big concern for her right now.
If I had answers to your questions I would share, sorry and good luck on finding some information!
So everyone should drop it in there to keep it together. One place to look.

Old 05-22-2007, 05:07 PM

460 posts, read 1,431,474 times
Default Let's get back on track...

and get some solid answers to her questions.

First of all, congratulations to you and your family on this transfer opportunity! How exciting for all of you.

While I can't comment on specific areas in which to live, another poster gave information on general living locations - something like staying out of 96th street. (You can go back and read the post.)

Generally speaking, wherever you live you will find the neighborhood has things to do, be it story hour at the library, exercise classes at a YMCA, concerts in a park. There will be no shortage of things to do if you look for them. Many neighborhoods even have their own newsletters of sorts which list events.

No, pre-school is not compulsory. And as to your teaching -- you will not be able to work in the public school system. However, you may find some opportunities to volunteer (meaning to work for free) if you get your children involved in some organized setting like a pre-school or something.

Yes, you will find the subways are safe as are the buses. Apartment rents will be higher the closer they are located to a subway station, by the way.

So tell us - where to you live in Australia? What a beautiful country! I spent three weeks living in Sydney during the 2000 "Olympic period" [as it was referred to when there] as my husband had the opportunity to work at the Olympics. We loved Sydney and it's surrounds. And felt very much at home with the mix of cultures and neighborhoods. It reminded us of NYC - except that in Oz recycling of rubish is taken very seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or