Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2010, 08:35 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,374,651 times

Advertisements

Jordan that's an amazing psychic prediction considering there is only 6 days left in the year. Your abilities are uncanny indeed.

Murders are definitely up this year, though not far from 2008, which was another record low year, and crime rate is down vs last year. So all in all, I would say 2009's murder rate was the anomaly, not 2010.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:26 AM

674 posts, read 1,813,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
What is the reason for most murders in NYC?
Drugs.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:46 AM

157 posts, read 394,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Pretty cool, now they have all the crime statistics for every year between 2000 and 2009. You can find this on the bottom of the page labled "historical crime stats".
Hmmm... It looks like all crime has gone down through 2009, everything except for misdemeanors. There were more misdemeanors reported in 2009 than 2002. Clearly manipulation of felony crime stats on the NYPD's part.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:03 AM

Why would this be a clear example of manipulation? Can't it be they are attacking misdemeanors more vigorously than 2002?

Old 12-28-2010, 10:47 AM

810 posts, read 836,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Why would this be a clear example of manipulation? Can't it be they are attacking misdemeanors more vigorously than 2002?
The many revelations of systematic downgrading of felony charges and increased ticket quotas fits right with what JAGED has observed.

Old 12-28-2010, 03:36 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,128 times
@ jordan i think the reality is that we are closing in on 600 but the statistics show we will top off at 530... and @ sobroguy saying that they are attacking misdemeanors more vigorously than 02' clearly you have never dealt with the NYPD or its been awhile.

That is the last thing they would wish to do. I may seem like a frustrated and bitter New Yorker but its just shocking to me how people do not see the corruption and hipocrisy of enormous proportions of this city.

I dont know if i ever mentioned this before when we were talking about Mayor Bloomberg and his election but Sobroguy had mentioned that despite all the complaints of Bloomberg before the election he still won, but to shed some final light on that point... you yourself told us clearly why Thompson didnt win the election. His pitch was "at least im not bloomberg". Didnt bring anything to the table other than that, wasnt seen at all throughout the campaign and still took home 45% of the vote.

The statistics dont lie, if they would have had anyone with a brain to run against Bloomberg he would have been demolished but thankfully the people chose someone with a brain and a agenda than someone who would have run NYC completely to the ground. That doesnt make Bloomberg a hero just Thompson a failure. But honestly with everything this guy has done against the better judgment of the majority there is no possible way that he will be re-elected the following term. And i hope that the new mayor gives a shake-up to the NYPD and whoever is working on their statistics as well cause it is a complete waste of time to look at any statistics over the past two years. To those who disagree with me, please visit your local precint and bring a complaint to them and see what happens. Better yet ask them to file a report on a legitimate crime and see the reaction they have, then all those who disagree with my points will understand the frustration behind it.

Old 12-28-2010, 06:03 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,328,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAGED View Post
The newest statistics show that from 12/13-12/19 there were only 4 murders that week, and overall crime, so far, is down 1.5 percent. However, I noticed that the precinct that covers Jamaica (specifically South Jamaica) has seen an overall increase of 6.83 percent and has seen an alarming increase in homicides (19 compared to 12 last year and 10 in 2001 and 10 in 98). East New York Brooklyn has seen a pretty significant increase, it's at 31 compared with 23 last year. When I look at the 1990 stats and current stats though the NYPD convinces me that everything is fine there when it really isn't. I can't believe they had 109 murders in 90. Another thing to note is that all of the more violent crimes are up this year (assaults, rape, murder, and robbery)
I highly doubt that the 113th Precinct saw 10 murders in 2001 (or 12 in 2009, it was brought down from 15 [also hard to believe] for some reason). It feels disgusting referring to lives ruined as numbers in the first place.

What ever happened to being honest?

Old 12-29-2010, 01:19 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,406,624 times
Quote:
Jordan that's an amazing psychic prediction considering there is only 6 days left in the year. Your abilities are uncanny indeed.

Murders are definitely up this year, though not far from 2008, which was another record low year, and crime rate is down vs last year. So all in all, I would say 2009's murder rate was the anomaly, not 2010.
in 2008 2 weeks before the year was over the murder book listed that during the time period their was less then 500 murders. After those 2 weeks the nypd listed their was 523. so with that being said seeing that 2010 is higher then 2008 by a small number im going with 540 tops.

also even though their is 6 weeks left in the year the nypd site is a week or 2 behind in releasing up to date murder counts.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:23 AM

A few comments:

Allen and Anon:
It can be a systematic downgrading, OR it can be attacking misdemeanors (quality of life issues) more vigorously. That's exactly what Giuliani started doing initially to drop the crime rate...this could be no different....so I don't see this as clear evidence of manipulation. That being said we know the downgrading has been rampant as I have seen it with my own eyes. In fact, filing a legitimate complaint at a precint or at the scene of a crime is oftentimes an exercise in futility as the police seemed to be trained to do anything BUT take the complaint: they will blame you, confuse you, act like you are bothering them, yell at you, ignore you, or not take you seriously until they realize you won't leave unless they take the complaint. The whole thing is pathetic.

Anon:
Regarding Bloomberg, I agree that if someone stepped up with half a brain Bloomberg would have lost. Why? Not because Bloomberg was a horrible Mayor or did nothing, but because he broke the rules and NYers expect people to play by the rules. Bloomberg did alot for NYC and continues to do so, however he crossed the line and as a result he would have lost, but not because he was a bad Mayor or because people did not like his policies.

Secondly, going against the masses is oftentimes a good idea. Do you hear the nonsense rumors and lies that somehow get spoken over and over that they become "truth" and "facts" to the masses? We need a leader who can sift through the crap and go against the masses when necessary and do what is right for us, regardles of whether we like it at first or think it is in our best interest. That's what a true leader does, and Bloomberg has done that many times, and as a result has moved us forward. I don't agree with everything he does, but the vast majority I do agree with, while the "masses," who are typically uniformed, complain. That's true leadership.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:48 AM

157 posts, read 394,807 times
Quote:
A few comments:

Allen and Anon:
It can be a systematic downgrading, OR it can be attacking misdemeanors (quality of life issues) more vigorously. That's exactly what Giuliani started doing initially to drop the crime rate...this could be no different....so I don't see this as clear evidence of manipulation. That being said we know the downgrading has been rampant as I have seen it with my own eyes. In fact, filing a legitimate complaint at a precint or at the scene of a crime is oftentimes an exercise in futility as the police seemed to be trained to do anything BUT take the complaint: they will blame you, confuse you, act like you are bothering them, yell at you, ignore you, or not take you seriously until they realize you won't leave unless they take the complaint. The whole thing is pathetic.

Anon:
Regarding Bloomberg, I agree that if someone stepped up with half a brain Bloomberg would have lost. Why? Not because Bloomberg was a horrible Mayor or did nothing, but because he broke the rules and NYers expect people to play by the rules. Bloomberg did alot for NYC and continues to do so, however he crossed the line and as a result he would have lost, but not because he was a bad Mayor or because people did not like his policies.

Secondly, going against the masses is oftentimes a good idea. Do you hear the nonsense rumors and lies that somehow get spoken over and over that they become "truth" and "facts" to the masses? We need a leader who can sift through the crap and go against the masses when necessary and do what is right for us, regardles of whether we like it at first or think it is in our best interest. That's what a true leader does, and Bloomberg has done that many times, and as a result has moved us forward. I don't agree with everything he does, but the vast majority I do agree with, while the "masses," who are typically uniformed, complain. That's true leadership.
Why are you the only one who is blind to see the connection between the misdemeanors and felony stats? Yes, it could be that they are focusing more on low-level misdemeanor crimes than before, and 9/11 could have been an inside job. Giuliani was the one who initiated the whole quality-of-life thing and he was the one that put emphasis on it because there was a need for it in order to drop the crime rate (according to his theory, which I don't agree with). It didn't stop when Bloomberg came into power, but it sure as hell loosened up a little. After all, we weren't at the crime levels we were at when Giuliani first entered the stage. Therefore, yes, it is most likely the result of manipulating crime statistics.

Not only did he break his term limit rule, he complies with what the NYPD are doing with the crime manipulations. He has not made New York a city, but a company or stock to invest in. He is killing what attracts people here in the first place, the flavor, soul, and character. How is he killing it? He uses gentrification as a tool to "diversify" and "improve" neighborhoods. In reality, he is creating further class-segregation, increased barriers between the working-class and wealthy, and destroying establishments that have helped attract newcomers to the area. Not all establishments but a significant sum. Why is gentrification as a tool bad? Because we don't know what the end effects will be. Everyone thinks everything in the city is going to be Howdy-Doody in the next 10 years because if NYC keeps going at the rate it is, we'll have created the utopia of the 21st century. FALSE AND COMPLETELY WRONG. We don't know how the city is going to be, and the fact that Bloomberg is using this unknowable tool carelessly, abundantly, and foolishly shows that he is, in fact, not a good leader. He fails to foresee what is ahead, or what could potentially be ahead. How? Gentrification. The answer to everything the city finds unacceptable. The school-system? Forget about that, he'll continue lying about that too to win people's acceptance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City