U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 03-09-2010, 10:12 AM
 
461 posts, read 1,770,335 times
Reputation: 361

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekitor View Post
Yeah NYC needs more middle class and less poor people.

Mod cut

I agree, the middle class needs to be preserved in NY and the poor (at least the ghetto ones) need to be shipped out by way of being priced out. Unfortunately, NY is a very LIBERAL city who heavily favors socialist public programs like Section 8 and welfare. So even if rent prices were purposely raised to price out the poor in an attempt to cleanse nieghborhoods from ghetto people, these LIBERAL programs come to the RESCUE to keep these people put in their homes despite the fact that many of them are undesirable with lifestyles that DEGRADE a neighborhood.

Last edited by Viralmd; 03-09-2010 at 11:14 AM.. Reason: Rude. ENOUGH with the anger.

 
Old 03-09-2010, 02:36 PM
 
Location: Crown Heights
965 posts, read 2,113,013 times
Reputation: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorfox View Post
Mod cut

I agree, the middle class needs to be preserved in NY and the poor (at least the ghetto ones) need to be shipped out by way of being priced out. Unfortunately, NY is a very LIBERAL city who heavily favors socialist public programs like Section 8 and welfare. So even if rent prices were purposely raised to price out the poor in an attempt to cleanse nieghborhoods from ghetto people, these LIBERAL programs come to the RESCUE to keep these people put in their homes despite the fact that many of them are undesirable with lifestyles that DEGRADE a neighborhood.
Its funny you say that becaue one of the biggest issues with gentrification in the form YOU want it is pushing out the middle class. This is the argument most of the anti-gentrifying people on the thread are trying to make. We know there is public housing and section 8 for the poor. Programs like Rent Stabilization and others benefit people who would more than likely be considered "middle class", regular working people who can't afford a luxury condo. Furthermore NYC has been decreasing its Liberal stance for the past 30 years beginning with Koch, the city has made major steps in trying to attract large companies and firms being very open to them. Since you make these sweeping attacks on Liberal and "Socialist" initiatives, fine, lets get rid of the public transportation system and the CUNY system. I know the situation in the Bronx is unique, but if you apply your method to the whole city the middle class will dwindle faster than it already is.

Last edited by Viralmd; 03-09-2010 at 03:47 PM.. Reason: Not necessary.
 
Old 03-09-2010, 06:16 PM
 
461 posts, read 1,770,335 times
Reputation: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by twist07 View Post
Its funny you say that becaue one of the biggest issues with gentrification in the form YOU want it is pushing out the middle class. This is the argument most of the anti-gentrifying people on the thread are trying to make. We know there is public housing and section 8 for the poor. Programs like Rent Stabilization and others benefit people who would more than likely be considered "middle class", regular working people who can't afford a luxury condo. Furthermore NYC has been decreasing its Liberal stance for the past 30 years beginning with Koch, the city has made major steps in trying to attract large companies and firms being very open to them. Since you make these sweeping attacks on Liberal and "Socialist" initiatives, fine, lets get rid of the public transportation system and the CUNY system. I know the situation in the Bronx is unique, but if you apply your method to the whole city the middle class will dwindle faster than it already is.

First I DO NOT want to push out the middle class. If anything I want the middle class to stay in NY. Middle class to me are people that actually WORK and earn at least 40K a year. People that earn 40K a year DO NOT qualify for Section 8 or Welfare. If you support low-income poor people and socialist public programs such as Section 8/Welfare then you are ACTUALLY supporting the decline of the MIDDLE CLASS in NY and you don't even know it because Section 8 is one of the main reasons why middle class people are fleeing NY.

Section 8 will pay MORE money for an apartment than what a middle class person can normally afford. So this creates a heavy concentration of poor people in NY due to these socialist public programs. When low-income people start to move into middle class neighborhoods, the middle class leave. People of higher living standards do not like to mix and live with people with poor living standards. That a fact and the way it is. This creates a very polarized NY. On one end the very poor and on the other end, the wealthy. There is no in between.

If section 8 do not exist in NY then I guarantee you NY would of been a much more desirable place to live and the middle class would of been thriving. Why? One reason is because there would of been less ghetto people to ruin and corrupt NY neighborhoods that scare decent people away. Low-income and crime go hand in hand. Theres a HUGE co-relation and there's no denying that. Now, I'm sure someone is going to reply "these people need a place to live too". Yes you're right, just like a convicted felon needs a place to live, just like a sex offender needs a place to live and just like a convicted murderer needs a play to live after his bid is over. Mod cut

Last edited by Viralmd; 03-09-2010 at 06:20 PM.. Reason: Offensive.
 
Old 03-09-2010, 06:40 PM
 
Location: Beautiful Pelham Parkway,The Bronx
8,396 posts, read 19,709,137 times
Reputation: 6223
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorfox View Post
First I DO NOT want to push out the middle class. If anything I want the middle class to stay in NY. Middle class to me are people that actually WORK and earn at least 40K a year. People that earn 40K a year DO NOT qualify for Section 8 or Welfare. If you support low-income poor people and socialist public programs such as Section 8/Welfare then you are ACTUALLY supporting the decline of the MIDDLE CLASS in NY and you don't even know it because Section 8 is one of the main reasons why middle class people are fleeing NY.

Section 8 will pay MORE money for an apartment than what a middle class person can normally afford. So this creates a heavy concentration of poor people in NY due to these socialist public programs. When low-income people start to move into middle class neighborhoods, the middle class leave. People of higher living standards do not like to mix and live with people with poor living standards. That a fact and the way it is. This creates a very polarized NY. On one end the very poor and on the other end, the wealthy. There is no in between.

If section 8 do not exist in NY then I guarantee you NY would of been a much more desirable place to live and the middle class would of been thriving. Why? One reason is because there would of been less ghetto people to ruin and corrupt NY neighborhoods that scare decent people away. Low-income and crime go hand in hand. Theres a HUGE co-relation and there's no denying that. Now, I'm sure someone is going to reply "these people need a place to live too". Yes you're right, just like a convicted felon needs a place to live, just like a sex offender needs a place to live and just like a convicted murderer needs a play to live after his bid is over. Mod cut
Oh ,God. One more of these repetitive posts and I am going to lose my mind! They sound like a broken record.An angry broken record.
Posts like this will scare more middle class people away than any section 8 neighbor.
 
Old 03-09-2010, 07:23 PM
 
461 posts, read 1,770,335 times
Reputation: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Oh ,God. One more of these repetitive posts and I am going to lose my mind! They sound like a broken record.An angry broken record.
Posts like this will scare more middle class people away than any section 8 neighbor.

Is that all you can say bluedog? Prove me wrong then about section 8 and the adverse effect it has on neighborhoods that helps push out the middle class.
 
Old 03-09-2010, 07:34 PM
 
Location: Beautiful Pelham Parkway,The Bronx
8,396 posts, read 19,709,137 times
Reputation: 6223
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorfox View Post
Is that all you can say bluedog? Prove me wrong then about section 8 and the adverse effect it has on neighborhoods that helps push out the middle class.
I am a middle class person who makes a lot more than your 40,000 cut off and who recently moved to a neighborhood in The Bronx where there are a lot of section 8 tenants.Most of them work and are fine neighbors.I knew they were here in the area when I bought my apartment and it didn't scare me at all and I don't regret my decision at all.

If you had been posting some of your diatribes when I was thinking about moving to the Bronx however, I might never have moved here.

Thank God your posts weren't around to scare me.

You are asking me to disprove something that you haven't proved.It doesn't make sense.You can rant and rave all you want but you haven't proven anything for me to disprove.You just keep repeating your opinion...over and over and over and over again.
Endless repetition of a hypothesis does not prove the hypothesis.

Last edited by bluedog2; 03-09-2010 at 07:44 PM..
 
Old 03-09-2010, 10:04 PM
 
1,008 posts, read 3,244,195 times
Reputation: 517
The Brooklyn Paper: Fork this! Foodies are now leading the gentrification of Brooklyn
 
Old 03-10-2010, 12:17 AM
 
Location: Crown Heights
965 posts, read 2,113,013 times
Reputation: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorfox View Post
First I DO NOT want to push out the middle class. If anything I want the middle class to stay in NY. Middle class to me are people that actually WORK and earn at least 40K a year. People that earn 40K a year DO NOT qualify for Section 8 or Welfare. If you support low-income poor people and socialist public programs such as Section 8/Welfare then you are ACTUALLY supporting the decline of the MIDDLE CLASS in NY and you don't even know it because Section 8 is one of the main reasons why middle class people are fleeing NY.

Section 8 will pay MORE money for an apartment than what a middle class person can normally afford. So this creates a heavy concentration of poor people in NY due to these socialist public programs. When low-income people start to move into middle class neighborhoods, the middle class leave. People of higher living standards do not like to mix and live with people with poor living standards. That a fact and the way it is. This creates a very polarized NY. On one end the very poor and on the other end, the wealthy. There is no in between.

If section 8 do not exist in NY then I guarantee you NY would of been a much more desirable place to live and the middle class would of been thriving. Why? One reason is because there would of been less ghetto people to ruin and corrupt NY neighborhoods that scare decent people away. Low-income and crime go hand in hand. Theres a HUGE co-relation and there's no denying that. Now, I'm sure someone is going to reply "these people need a place to live too". Yes you're right, just like a convicted felon needs a place to live, just like a sex offender needs a place to live and just like a convicted murderer needs a play to live after his bid is over. Mod cut
LOL, wait a minute, are you telling me that in New York City, in this day and age, not in 1977 mind you, but in 2010, the middle class will LEAVE NYC because some poor folks moved in? You're telling me this is happening in one of the few cities in America where you have middle class people moving into traditionally working class/poor neighborhoods like Bed Stuy because they're priced out of Fort Greene and Park Slope? LMAO, that one is rich! That is an argument which is 3 decades outdated, the #1 factor pushing middle class in a city where crime has declined significantly, is the cost of living. A large bulk of the "affordable housing" being built is not for people of your 40,000 cut off point but people making 60-70,000. In this city $40,000 is considered lower middle class to almost poor. Poor people in NY today are not moving into middle class neighborhoods, some middle class people can't even afford their own neighborhoods anymore. And Bluedog's example is not merely an isolated incident either, its part of a larger phenomena.
 
Old 03-10-2010, 07:00 AM
 
7,079 posts, read 33,814,953 times
Reputation: 4006
Thread closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top