U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-03-2010, 06:45 PM
 
217 posts, read 572,252 times
Reputation: 299

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleksander e View Post
...and the median income and general wealth of the region is going up and up as the old-time NYer leave and the new college grads/"yuppies" comes in. So it's not a bad thing at all.

In Manhattan, it's a mixture of the "Notre Dame trust fund grads" and wealthy Europeans.
The median household income in Manhattan is only $76,000. Only 16.4% of Manhattan households earn over $200,000 annually. Only around 35% of Manhattan households earn over $100,000 a year (source: American factfinder, 2006-2008)

Only 25% of Manhattanites own their place of residence. Fewer than half of Manhattan rental apartments are free-market. The typical Manhattanite is a renter and is more likely to live in a rent-stabilized/government housing. He is NOT a wealthy European nor a trust funder.

Quote:
-In Manhattan, the number of households with incomes below $10,000 a year rose by 529 in 2008 -- while those in the $200,000-a-year class shot up by more than 19,000.

-Other boroughs also saw a spike in the wealthiest households: an increase of more than 6,000 in Brooklyn, 5,300 in Queens, 1,500 in The Bronx and 1,400 on Staten Island.
Only 6.3% of New York City households earned over $200,000. Granted, it is more than the national average of 4.2%, but given the much higher living costs of the city, it does not appear that New Yorkers, overall, are measurably wealthier than the rest of the country (in fact, they're poorer, given the net loss of several hundred thousand American-born residents of greater New York City over the last decade to better places elsewhere in the country).

Quote:
-In contrast, the average US household had an income of $50,303 last year, the lowest level in 12 years, and down from $52,163 in 2007 while New York City saw an increase.
Not sure where you got the data, but anyway. Per capita income in New York City was $30,415, while in the US overall it was $27,466. Give the very rough estimate of the financial sector providing under 5% of all jobs in NYC, but close to 25% of the total payroll, I would say a New Yorker who does NOT work on Wall Street is a pretty poor sumbich.

Quote:
- Manhattanites got richer, driving the top 5% threshold income to over $857,000 - the wealthiest county in the United States.
Again, fewer than 5% of all jobs in New York City are in finance - and yet, they receive 25% of the total payroll in the city and pay a lion's share of local taxes.

This is a city that lives off of Wall Street. I am not sure what your point is.

Quote:
The number of whites living in Harlem more than tripled
Um, yeah, from under 2% to 6%. I don't quite get your fascination with the tiniest of minorities - Wall Streeters, white Harlemites, etc. Your obsession with those several percent while ignoring the other 95% is rather curious.

Quote:
-In Brooklyn Asians accounted for the borough's biggest jump, with a 21% increase, from 185,818 to 224,384 from 2000 to 2007 and the white population grew by 6%, from 1.02 million to 1.08 million
Now, how about the white population in the Bronx, Staten Island, and Queens? Brownstone Brooklyn is experiencing gentrification, whereas the northern Bronx, central Staten Island are experiencing the same ole white flight. This, by the way, was the first decade since the 1940's or 50's that New York City did not experience a net outflow of whites. Giuliani and Bloomberg are apparently doing SOMETHING good to their core constituencies now that they're not fleeing in droves like they used to.

Quote:
Cities on the level as NY on the world stage have never been middle-America type cities, this isn't a new revelation. NYC would actually be scary if it were like that...like a Phoenix or a Austin
And yet, the outer boroughs of NYC were considered middle America strongholds from the 50's through the 70's: the land of Honeymooners and Archie Bunkers. Curious.

New York City was home to the headquarters of over 140 of the largest 500 corporations in the country in 1950. By 2000, the number was down to a bit over 40. Wall Street was one of the very, very few private employers that did not flee along with the rest of the "middle America".

Quote:
Clearly, people who want the cookie cutter home and a McDonalds and Wal Mart on every corner avoid these exorbitantly priced regions like the plague. Nothing new here. They attract the rich, the youth and the immigrants.
Er.. the vast majority of Queens, Brooklyn and Staten Island are made up of cookie-cutter homes. New York does NOT attract the rich: only 6.3% of NY households earn over $200,000 a year, and the share of millionaire households is far higher in Connecticut than New York.

New York does not attract the young: the stereotypical Williamsburg hipster is a drop in the NYC bucket.

It does, obviously, attract immigrants. And that is the only point I was trying to make. Americans - rich, poor, young, old, black, white - are abandoning metro New York, and are being replaced by immigrants.

 
Old 01-03-2010, 06:54 PM
 
Location: Confines of the 101 Precinct
19,192 posts, read 32,719,007 times
Reputation: 7591
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorfox View Post
You're right..not me because I'm not dumb enough or lazy enough to just sit around and be a loser like them and then ask the City for a handout.

I have the desire to better myself and challenge myself to become a self made man because I CHOSE the option to go to school and become something that would benefit me and my family. If you're working in the M&M store then who do you blame for your short comings? You gotta get with the program or get stepped on.
wow elitist a little bit?
somebody has to do these jobs, if not you then fine. but dont look down on them they provide a service like anybody else. and they need somewhere to live too.
__________________
"The man who sleeps on the floor, can never fall out of bed." -Martin Lawrence

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
 
Old 01-03-2010, 06:55 PM
 
Location: Confines of the 101 Precinct
19,192 posts, read 32,719,007 times
Reputation: 7591
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCAnalyst View Post
Mod cut If there is a shortage of workers, wages will increase and so will the final price of their product. They will not pay higher wages because even at minimum wage, there will be someone willing to work. You have no way of knowing whether their employees are legal immigrants or not.
give me a real life example of when a company increased wage because of this and i will let the debate rest.
__________________
"The man who sleeps on the floor, can never fall out of bed." -Martin Lawrence

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
 
Old 01-03-2010, 06:57 PM
 
104 posts, read 462,273 times
Reputation: 110
To say that all poor people are lazy that's why they're poor is a ridiculous point to make...it's not that cut and dry....in a city you need people of all education levels and incomes because everyone has a role to fill. Therefore everyone should be able to live comfortable....ny needs correction officers, Mta workers, crossing guards, newspaper delivery men ect... Everyone can't be a lawyer or CEO making 100,000 +....So if you're making 30,000 a year of course you can't live in a penthouse in TriBeCa but there should be a neighborhood in each boro that you can afford...
 
Old 01-03-2010, 07:01 PM
 
Location: Confines of the 101 Precinct
19,192 posts, read 32,719,007 times
Reputation: 7591
Quote:
Originally Posted by gradstudent77 View Post
They won't raise the wage they pay for the purpose of increasing the quality of life of a worker, they will raise the wage when the manager says "gee, shucks, no one is answering our classified ad, the sign in the window, or taking the job when they come in and ask about it".

The minimum wage is higher than the actual market price of minimum wage labor, or we wouldn't need for there to be one.
businesses exist to make profit.....they will never raise the wage if nobody answers in a classified because there will be somebody else willing to work for that low wage....it will never happen
__________________
"The man who sleeps on the floor, can never fall out of bed." -Martin Lawrence

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
 
Old 01-03-2010, 07:02 PM
 
Location: Confines of the 101 Precinct
19,192 posts, read 32,719,007 times
Reputation: 7591
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewdrop149 View Post
to say that all poor people are lazy that's why they're poor is a ridiculous point to make...it's not that cut and dry....in a city you need people of all education levels and incomes because everyone has a role to fill. Therefore everyone should be able to live comfortable....ny needs correction officers, mta workers, crossing guards, newspaper delivery men ect... Everyone can't be a lawyer or ceo making 100,000 +....so if you're making 30,000 a year of course you can't live in a penthouse in tribeca but there should be a neighborhood in each boro that you can afford...
amen
__________________
"The man who sleeps on the floor, can never fall out of bed." -Martin Lawrence

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
 
Old 01-03-2010, 07:04 PM
 
461 posts, read 1,766,690 times
Reputation: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
and you know who that is? an illegal alien who isnt even qualified to work or live here....

Well at least Mexicans come here to work and have the desire to work so they can provide and send money back to their families in Mexico. As oppose to some cocky, ghetto inner city NYer who has too much pride in working a minimum wage job and wants nothing but the the fast money despite the fact they are uneducated. Therefore they opt to sell drugs in their hoods destroying communities. And these are the same people on section 8 and welfare that me tax dollars go to? You got to be kidding me.

Despite their legal status of residence, I'd rather give my hard earned tax money to a Mexican that actually contributes to the working force in society and who actually has the desire to work and provide than to give it to some ignorant and arrogant, ghetto inner city drug dealer in form of a welfare check or section 8 voucher.
 
Old 01-03-2010, 07:08 PM
 
Location: Confines of the 101 Precinct
19,192 posts, read 32,719,007 times
Reputation: 7591
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorfox View Post
Well at least Mexicans come here to work and have the desire to work so they can provide and send money back to their families in Mexico. As oppose to some cocky, ghetto native inner city NYer who has too much pride in working a minimum wage job and wants the fast money despite the fact they are uneducated. So they opt to sell drugs in their hoods. And these are the same people on section 8 and welfare. Despite their legal status, I'd rather give my hard earned tax money to a Mexican that actually contributes to the working force in society who actually has the desire to work and provide than to give it to some ignorant and arrogant, ghetto inner city drug dealer in form of a welfare check or section 8 voucher.
lol....u think a drug dealer has time to apply for section 8? do you know how hard the section 8 process is? dont base stereotypes of the hood on what u see on the internet or whatever...it doesnt exactly work like that.
__________________
"The man who sleeps on the floor, can never fall out of bed." -Martin Lawrence

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
 
Old 01-03-2010, 07:18 PM
 
461 posts, read 1,766,690 times
Reputation: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
lol....u think a drug dealer has time to apply for section 8? do you know how hard the section 8 process is? dont base stereotypes of the hood on what u see on the internet or whatever...it doesnt exactly work like that.
Ummmm yes he does have time to scam the system. I work in the hood. I'm surrounded by ghetto people every single day and I observe them, over hear their conversations, see obvious drug transactions and everything in between. I know how it goes down.

Don't forget I'm from the Bronx and work in the Bronx which has the highest concentration of ghetto, low income people in NY. My stereotype in general is 100% correct. If its not in their name, its under their baby's mama name or their mama's name. Ask Tyrone.
 
Old 01-03-2010, 07:25 PM
 
784 posts, read 2,470,267 times
Reputation: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
give me a real life example of when a company increased wage because of this and i will let the debate rest.
How Rising Wages Are Changing The Game In China
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top