U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 08:32 PM

2,868 posts, read 4,040,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
not everybody who works a minimum wage job is an immigrant....im sorry but there is no incentive for somebody to work at the m&m store in times square as a cashier when they have to pay $89 a month to get to work and live an hour and a half away....so you tell me who is going to do that job? not you....
Then who's working there now?

Old 01-03-2010, 08:32 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,530,583 times
Quote:
businesses exist to make profit.....they will never raise the wage if nobody answers in a classified because there will be somebody else willing to work for that low wage....it will never happen
Ok, so then what's your point? I thought you were trying to say that no one would buy a $92 metrocard to work for minimum wage in manhattan. I said if that actually happened, they would have to pay more than minimum wage.

I do agree with you that the minimum wage labor pool is much larger than the number of minimum wage jobs. This goes to my point that minimum wage labor's market price is lower than $7.65 or whatever it is right now.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:35 PM

104 posts, read 461,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCAnalyst View Post
I never said it was easy. But it is not impossible.

It is easier if you have tangible skills and can show an employer that you can add value.
i agree that its not impossible but my point is that in this day and age, a good education unfortunately does not guarantee a good job...So some people are stuck with what they have.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDrop149 View Post
Riiight, only in your fantasy world is it that easy, especially in this recession that statement sounds ridiculous. There's people with tons of degree's and experience that cant find jobs....and the people that do have jobs cant just switch them to whatever's more convienient
The factors you are citing are short-term and endemic of an individual. What he said happens is exactly what happens in the long-term and across an economy.

Old 01-03-2010, 09:31 PM

965 posts, read 2,106,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorfox View Post
Ummmm yes he does have time to scam the system. I work in the hood. I'm surrounded by ghetto people every single day and I observe them, over hear their conversations, see obvious drug transactions and everything in between. I know how it goes down.

Don't forget I'm from the Bronx and work in the Bronx which has the highest concentration of ghetto, low income people in NY. My stereotype in general is 100% correct. If its not in their name, its under their baby's mama name or their mama's name. Ask Tyrone.
(sigh) c'mon man, I know you can articulate your point better than that. You sound more like someone took a trip to the zoo as opposed to someone observing human behavior. And I know you're thinking "it is a zoo" because you've spent enough time dehumanizing people with comments like that already.
If you look at the statistics provided by NYC.gov or any other census or what have you, you will find that the majority of these people are not on public assistance and are tax payers who pay taxes into the same system you claim they suckle on. And if life is so much about "choices", why are you working around the same people you despise? Did you have a 'choice' or was it the best thing your situation allowed you to do at that time? or should I ask Tyrone about that?

Old 01-03-2010, 09:31 PM

104 posts, read 461,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gradstudent77 View Post
The factors you are citing are short-term and endemic of an individual. What he said happens is exactly what happens in the long-term and across an economy.
yes and i understand that but how can you use a long term solution to solve a short term problem. people's kids need clothes and food now, that rent is due on the first. your landlord doesnt care if your going to school for your masters, he wants that money asap. education is definitly a plus but if you'r a middle aged bus driver or school custodian with kids and you're barely making ends meet, then to just say to him "stop doing overtime, move out the city and go to college then mabye in 5 years you can come back and be a marine biologist or whatever" is not realistic in this city where the cost of living has skyrocketed in just the last 10 years....and even people that make decent salaries are living check to ckeck....They cant afford the city but they cant just pick up and leave. They cant just drop everything and go to school either, its not that simple......

Old 01-03-2010, 09:37 PM

19,130 posts, read 32,666,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makossa View Post
Then who's working there now?
people who live in the bronx or manhattan....who probably live in apartments that the "market rate" people want.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-03-2010, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Ok, so then what's your point? I thought you were trying to say that no one would buy a $92 metrocard to work for minimum wage in manhattan. I said if that actually happened, they would have to pay more than minimum wage.

I do agree with you that the minimum wage labor pool is much larger than the number of minimum wage jobs. This goes to my point that minimum wage labor's market price is lower than $7.65 or whatever it is right now.
my point is that we need subsidized housing not 90 miutes away from the city for this....otherwise you will create the illegal immigrant effect where they wont care because they're just trying to get a foot in the door.

Old 01-03-2010, 09:52 PM

Quote:
my point is that we need subsidized housing not 90 miutes away from the city for this....otherwise you will create the illegal immigrant effect where they wont care because they're just trying to get a foot in the door.
Sure, let's just keep raising those taxes. Also, while we're at it, let's destroy value because the government pays more to build and maintain housing than private actors do. Meanwhile, perfectly reasonable and simple market solutions exist, but are not given serious consideration.

Old 01-03-2010, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Sure, let's just keep raising those taxes. Also, while we're at it, let's destroy value because the government pays more to build and maintain housing than private actors do. Meanwhile, perfectly reasonable and simple market solutions exist, but are not given serious consideration.
so its ok for the govt to tax us to fund wars but not to provide people a place to live....do u think you're going to collect SSI? please...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City