U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 12:56 PM

1,657 posts, read 2,830,546 times
Default can't have a small corner of the city

Bay Ridge is not a racist neighboorhood; indeed Bay Ridge is a bastion of tolerance in a country that has ethnically cleansed most of its urban ethnic enclaves.

How can a white man from the south call Bay Ridge a racist neighborhood? The south is one big homogeneous ethnic neighborhood. From Maryland to Florida west to Texas then north to Missouri and back east to Maryland an Anglo-Southern man can find people that talk, eat, pray, think and identify with his mainstream Anglo-consumer culture. His culture is ubiquitous throughout the country. He can even turn on the TV or radio and he can be immersed in his culture at all times. He can cluster with his ethnicity because it is everywhere. It is a luxury that he takes for granted.

The ethnic people of Bay Ridge have no such luxury. Bay Ridge and maybe a few pockets elsewhere in the city are all they have as a living space in this country. These are the only places where they can find people like them that eat, talk, think, pray and share the same culture as them. It is a very small corner of a small part of one city. For a country that claims it is to tolerant it seems that they can not tolerate an ethnic group maintaining its culture, its cuisine and its religion in a small urban pocket. If they are not actively ethnically cleansing themselves people have been indoctrinated into branding them as "racist". The most tragic part is that supposedly enlightened people are completely ignorant to the whole "ethnic" paradigm and naively think this is a white/black world. It is far from it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychDoc View Post
I lived in Bay Ridge when I was a med student; it is a blatantly racist neighborhood. I'm not saying everyone who lives there is racist (obviously), but there are A LOT of racist people in that neighborhood who have no problem telling you how they feel about people of different skin tones.

I used to work out Harbor Fitness on 95th and 4th Avenue. I heard the "n" word all the time at the gym. Mod cut Quite a eye-opener for me, as I'm from the south and I NEVER witnessed blatant, open racism like that in the south. I remember the day I had a black fellow student come over to study in my building. The looks he got were priceless.

Bay Ridge does have a large Arab/Muslim population that resides east of 5th Avenue. Again, plenty of talk in Harbor Fitness of "firebombing" 5th Avenue.

That said, as a white guy it was a nice play to live. Very safe, cheaper (comparably) rent, and only 35 minutes to the city via the N train. But yeah, if you are black I would think twice about living there. Its the sad reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 02:50 PM

347 posts, read 405,104 times
I completely disagree. When lots of people throw around the "n" word at the gym, when you hear multiples stories of people refusing to rent to blacks, when you hear people over and over talking about "firebombing" 5th Avenue because lots of Arabs live over on 5th it makes you think a certain neighborhood is racist. Mod cut
Bay Ridge has a lot of decent people. It also has a lot of extremely bigoted racists. I would not recommend Bay Ridge to a black person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
Bay Ridge is not a racist neighboorhood; indeed Bay Ridge is a bastion of tolerance in a country that has ethnically cleansed most of its urban ethnic enclaves.

How can a white man from the south call Bay Ridge a racist neighborhood? The south is one big homogeneous ethnic neighborhood. From Maryland to Florida west to Texas then north to Missouri and back east to Maryland an Anglo-Southern man can find people that talk, eat, pray, think and identify with his mainstream Anglo-consumer culture. His culture is ubiquitous throughout the country. He can even turn on the TV or radio and he can be immersed in his culture at all times. He can cluster with his ethnicity because it is everywhere. It is a luxury that he takes for granted.

The ethnic people of Bay Ridge have no such luxury. Bay Ridge and maybe a few pockets elsewhere in the city are all they have as a living space in this country. These are the only places where they can find people like them that eat, talk, think, pray and share the same culture as them. It is a very small corner of a small part of one city. For a country that claims it is to tolerant it seems that they can not tolerate an ethnic group maintaining its culture, its cuisine and its religion in a small urban pocket. If they are not actively ethnically cleansing themselves people have been indoctrinated into branding them as "racist". The most tragic part is that supposedly enlightened people are completely ignorant to the whole "ethnic" paradigm and naively think this is a white/black world. It is far from it.

Last edited by Viralmd; 01-27-2010 at 02:54 PM.. Reason: No competing websites.

Old 01-27-2010, 03:08 PM

Default last holdouts from the cleansing

You have to understand the context of the area. In the post WWII "urban renewal" most of the "ethnic" neighborhoods were targeted for urban renewal. This usually involved the double edged sword -housing projects and cheap mortgages in the suburbs- of ethnic cleansing that completely gutted the character of these neighborhoods.

If there was only one neighborhood left in the entire country where Southern whites could eat fried southern food, watch NASCAR/college football speak with a Southern accent and practice their protestant religion people would be very protective of that small neighborhood. This is the situation with Bay Ridge. It is one of the few holdouts in the American urban landscape that has not been cleansed of its ethnic character.

These people in Bay Ridge are protecting the ethnic character of their little small part of the world just the way people would protect say a small corner of "Savannah Georgia" if it was the last neighborhood that held the Southern Anglo ethos in this country. Since that Southern Anglo ethos is ubiquitous people do not understand the plight of ethnic minorities of the small corner of the world called Bay Ridge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychDoc View Post
I completely disagree. When lots of people throw around the "n" word at the gym, when you hear multiples stories of people refusing to rent to blacks, when you hear people over and over talking about "firebombing" 5th Avenue because lots of Arabs live over on 5th it makes you think a certain neighborhood is racist. Mod cut
Bay Ridge has a lot of decent people. It also has a lot of extremely bigoted racists. I would not recommend Bay Ridge to a black person.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:00 PM

3 posts, read 364 times
What does ethnic mean to you? Does this only appply to white people? Don't all people belong to one ethnic group or another? Or are you talking about what you think is the "superior" ethnic group? between you, mead, and victorfox, and the one ho allows the racist propoganda viralmd, need to take a time machine back to the 1920's where you belong with your primitive ideas

Old 01-27-2010, 09:06 PM

Ethnicity is your culture. It is your cuisine, religion, traditions, customs and language. Everybody has ethnicity whether they know it or not. Nobody refereed to any "superior" ethnicity nor is there any propaganda. .

How this relates to the thread is that Bay Ridge is a better place for those that share the Italian/Irish/Arab ethnicity. Those that identify with the mainstream American ethnicity would find like minded people in Park Slope.

PS don't call viralMD a ho.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Right View Post
What does ethnic mean to you? Does this only appply to white people? Don't all people belong to one ethnic group or another? Or are you talking about what you think is the "superior" ethnic group? between you, mead, and victorfox, and the one ho allows the racist propoganda viralmd, need to take a time machine back to the 1920's where you belong with your primitive ideas

Last edited by samyn on the green; 01-27-2010 at 09:14 PM..

Old 12-03-2010, 08:46 PM

15 posts, read 31,039 times
Lets first adress the ops question.Park Slope:Trendy/hip/whatever.Close to convienient subway stations.Shorter commute.Price(for windsor terrace/park slope)1 bedroom 1500-2300.Bay ridge:clean ,quiet,affordable by ny standards.one bedroom starts around 1100.a limestone in bay ridge similar to that of a brownstone in parkslope,lets say 1 and a half bedroom.Park Slope:2300 bar ridge 1500.Bay ridge cons:Long commute,very traditional/conservative,and yes racism and homophobia exists here(certainly not practiced by all)but much more than MOST other nabes.And people are very open about it.Im not trying to bash bay ridge.And it is getting better.And there are alot of good people here.But there is a feeling like youve gone back in time and way out of any type of city culture if thats what your looking for.And as for the melting pot theory,century 21 doesnt count.People come from all over staten island brooklyn jersey to shop there and then take there purchases back home.So melting pot?It sertainly excludes black people(although ive seen more lately)and there is alot of tension towards the changes of the nabe,which are more concerning the ever expanding arab community.I have plenty of stories to back this up but again,i wish not to bash bay ridge but rather just to say the element of intolerance and extreme misunderstanding happens to be there.............Samyn on the green you have just proved the point that there is alot of racism in Bay Ridge and you seem to promote it.Perhaps that is not your intent but its just what i took away from your point of view.Fact is just isolating yourself and at best tolerating people will do nothing to advance the state of racism.It is understanding and respect that will only begin to change this.

Old 12-03-2010, 08:55 PM

Samyn on the green.I agree that one should be able to surround oneself with those one is familiar with culturally.The problem I see and one that tends to occur a little more frequently in a place like bay ridge is people not only surrounding themself by culturally familiar people but systematically keeping those who dont qualify as "culturally similar" out of the neighborhood.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:05 PM

...and wether your from the south or any other place in America,if your walking through bay ridge and hear racial slurs or anti-gay slurs yelled out windows of cars by people aged 16-50 and older on a regular basis,if people mumble under there breath(the mumbles are louder the more people are in the group)etc etc even without any systematic racist treatment,that behavior alone is enough to create a racist vibe around a neighborhood.But like i said.Its alot better than it was even 5 years ago,but it still exists.

Old 01-29-2011, 08:18 PM

946 posts, read 1,215,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post

wow it's almost as if you did not know housing discrimination is illegal.

bay ridge sounds like easy money for lawyers who practice in the area of fair housing rights.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:22 PM

11 posts, read 10,109 times
what is samyn saying that's so wrong?

as someone of both Italian and Lebanese descent who grew up in Bay Ridge I can definitely tell you that its not what it used to be....and I really hate when people from park slope of all places claim bay ridge is racist! given all the white yuppies and gentrification that disenfranchises minorities, its actually ironic considering how much more diverse bay ridge has become...the stereotype that its just racist Italians needs to be killed, rarely do I even see your stereotypical bay ridge residents...there's Latinos, Arabs, Chinese, Russians, much more diverse than park slope. there is no foreign language signage on storefronts in park slope like there is in bay ridge...just because there doesn't happen to be many Black people in bay ridge doesn't mean the area is racist, black people are not the only criteria for diversity...

bay ridge is becoming more ethnic by the day....interestingly, i recently visited my friends new home in dyker heights, and surprisingly (well, not to me) other owners on the blocked included both a gay and Muslim couple

so don't worry, white people are on their way out...probably to be replaced by a Chinese majority (seriously.....has anyone been to south Brooklyn lately?? I didn't realize the neighborhoods around the D/N lines when they travel above ground (bensonhurst, sunset park, etc...) were so Chinese (not Asian because it really is solidly Chinese)....wikipedia says Brooklyn has 3 Chinatowns (8th Ave Chinatown; Bensonhurst Chinatown; Homecrest/Ave U Chinatown!!

so goodbye white people...and by the way, only in bay ridge/bensonhurst have I met the most racist people, who, believe it or not, were NOT white....LOL because all the n-word spouting Russians and entrepreneurial Chinese aren't racist (hopefully I'll enjoy my Chinese food without bullet proof glass...but seriously, I feel like that's such a racist thing to do in black neighborhoods, but no one complains about that)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City