Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2011, 06:11 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,586,806 times

Advertisements

I can't help but wonder what the OP was thinking when he started this thread (especially since the moderators felt it was necessary to delete his opening comment.) He certainly has very little knowledge of the history of New York City, because otherwise he never would have posted it in the first place.

I mean, come on...blacks lose their majority in Harlem. Whites lost their majority in Brownsville almost 50 years ago. Blacks lost their majority in Greenwich Village (the original black community in Manhattan originated there, and migrated uptown through the 19th century) more than 150 years ago.

So what? Big deal! Every neighborhood in the city has undergone change from Day One. This isn't an issue at all. Except to people who A) don't study history, and/or B) are instigating because they have an agenda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 09:35 AM

961 posts, read 2,463,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Atlanta has assumed the position of the center of black american culture ,nyc no longer holds that title.
Though this may be true and you have many facts to back this up, I refuse to believe this! And I thought before Atlanta it was Chicago? I know Chicago is a strong bastion for black politics.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:05 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,806,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
I never see Middle Eastern people in Ridgewood, even now, and I go there all the time.

You must be talking about the Romanians. A lot of them look Middle Eastern.
@ Bronxguyanese one video and link provided by a Polish writer and showing the Polish stores along Fresh Pond Rd. which has always traditionally been the more European part of Ridgewood does not make Ridgewood the new destination for the Polish... Fact is, that ship has long been sailed... They started coming in droves in the early 2000s and they peaked around 09 but as of late the newest immigrant group that has been moving in is people from the Middle East... No offense to either one of you on this topic but don't you think a Ridgewood native for over 15 years now would know about the area a little more than people who are simply going by what they read or when they visit one part of the neighborhood from time to time...

Here is a recent link that talks about the changes
Queens Crap: From Nepal to Ridgewood with love

and if you look at the demographics in 2000 of this neighborhood
Moderator cut: No links to competing sites, please

and the latest census tract which I dont have but you can look up for yourself the latest numbers go as follows (rough estimates)

46% Hispanic
40% White (non hispanic/asian)
10% Asian
4% Black

One thing that can explain the article that you posted is that Polish folk are very territorial about their neighborhoods even moreso than spanish folk and once they move in and settle they want to continue that trend. I remember looking on wikipedia recently and seeing someone with the username kacinski or something like that change the articles beginning which said that Ridgewood is a "diverse neighborhood mainly consisting of latinos, eastern europeans, middle easterners, asians and native born americans" to Ridgewood is mostly Polish which as the latest demographics can show you, clearly isn't the case... Ridgewood has a number of large European ethnicities like Romanian, Albanian, Polish, Italian, Serbian, etc. While Polish is by far the largest percentage group in Ridgewood they aren't as large as they would have you believe...

All of this confirming my original point which tied itself to this topic which was that it is not only minority communities that would have a problem with the changes that we are seeing across the city... Other ethnic groups will have just as much problem if not more as well...

Last edited by bmwguydc; 10-15-2011 at 11:21 AM.. Reason: Removed competing site link

Old 09-12-2011, 12:25 PM

684 posts, read 1,121,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Atlanta has assumed the position of the center of black american culture ,nyc no longer holds that title.
Atlanta may be the new black nerve center, but it does not undo the place Harlem holds in the AA conscious or history.

I have been in and around Harlem many times, I have never felt anything but love and warmth from the people. I dont want to see the AA's pushed out.

Old 09-12-2011, 12:27 PM

684 posts, read 1,121,623 times
Quote:
2010 Census confirms that Harlem is still 60% Black, that's still a majority.
The trend is what's important. By 2020, that may be 40%, then 30, 20....

Old 09-12-2011, 06:45 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,254,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mintgum84 View Post
The trend is what's important. By 2020, that may be 40%, then 30, 20....
Nothing wrong with the trend. The city is always evolving, people come, people go. Harlem use to be white before the blacks took over. I welcome the change.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:00 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,124,889 times
Quote:
2010 Census confirms that Harlem is still 60% Black, that's still a majority.
That's Central Harlem. The article was including East Harlem and Hamilton Heights, which have more Hispanics.

So when you go by their definition, yes Greater Harlem has lost its Black majority, but Central Harlem (which is the part I think of when I think of the Black culture in Harlem) still has a Black majority.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:59 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,911,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
One thing that can explain the article that you posted is that Polish folk are very territorial about their neighborhoods even moreso than spanish folk and once they move in and settle they want to continue that trend. I remember looking on wikipedia recently and seeing someone with the username kacinski or something like that change the articles beginning which said that Ridgewood is a "diverse neighborhood mainly consisting of latinos, eastern europeans, middle easterners, asians and native born americans" to Ridgewood is mostly Polish which as the latest demographics can show you, clearly isn't the case... Ridgewood has a number of large European ethnicities like Romanian, Albanian, Polish, Italian, Serbian, etc. While Polish is by far the largest percentage group in Ridgewood they aren't as large as they would have you believe...

All of this confirming my original point which tied itself to this topic which was that it is not only minority communities that would have a problem with the changes that we are seeing across the city... Other ethnic groups will have just as much problem if not more as well...
Only Eastern Ridgewood [East of Forest Avenue] has a high Polish concentration. Western Ridgewood is basically an extension of Bushwick now.

And I doubt the PRs and the DRs will let their neighborhood turn Indian/Middle Eastern all of a sudden. Go to Ozone Park or Richmond Hill, then you're in an Indian neighborhood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
That's Central Harlem. The article was including East Harlem and Hamilton Heights, which have more Hispanics.

So when you go by their definition, yes Greater Harlem has lost its Black majority, but Central Harlem (which is the part I think of when I think of the Black culture in Harlem) still has a Black majority.
East Harlem has been majority hispanic since, like, forever now though, and even when it wasn't, it was an Italian area.

Last edited by DoomDan515; 09-12-2011 at 10:10 PM..

Old 09-12-2011, 10:29 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,031,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mintgum84 View Post
Atlanta may be the new black nerve center, but it does not undo the place Harlem holds in the AA conscious or history.

I have been in and around Harlem many times, I have never felt anything but love and warmth from the people. I dont want to see the AA's pushed out.
What needs to be done is that for new comers they need to learn the culture and the history of that neigborhood in order to preserve whats lost. A good.example is a link im gonna post. A dance in brooklyn preserves its culture through performance arts amongst new comers. Should every transplant do this. Do new yorkers in the south learn to play a banjo or do puertoricans and italians want there kids to speak hick in florida?

http://changingnyc.journalism.cuny.e...d-in-brooklyn/

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 09-12-2011 at 10:45 PM..

Old 09-12-2011, 10:38 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,911,437 times
Atlanta looks like a really amazing city. Many middle class black areas there, and you even see black people and white people hanging out together, something you almost never see in New York.

I heard the White population in Atlanta saw a dramatic increase over the past couple of years there though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City