Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2010, 08:22 AM

1 posts, read 2,710 times

Advertisements

Howdy all! Having a minor issue with my landlord and hoping someone here can verify a few things for me. I searched through previous posts, but I didn't see this specifically addressed.

Here is the situation:

My wife and I currently live in Astoria. Our apartment is part of a large complex run by a central management company. Our apartment is rent stabilized. We've been there just about three years and our current 1 year lease is up at the end of February.

We are looking to buy a place. We've been searching for a while and have finally found a few properties that meet our criteria. There is very little possibility that we will be able to close by February 28th.

I spoke with our management company and so far they have been less than helpful. The first person I spoke with essentially said "Sign another 1 year lease or move out by the 28th." Well I don't want to do that, because I KNOW we'll have to break the lease and that's a lot of hassle to deal with. She further said that they do not do month-to-month leases. I asked about just extending our current lease a few months (even at the higher cost) and she seemed a bit stumped by that question and said I'd have to talk to some manager (that I have been unable to get a hold of).

One of my co-workers said that if I don't renew and don't give a notice of my intent to vacate, the lease automatically becomes month-to-month (at the increased rate). That would be fine, but I read somewhere (can't find it now) that on a m2m rental, either party can terminate it at anytime, is that correct?

If my landlord is still unwilling to accommodate my request to stay a few more months, I'm tempted to just stay (though I would certainly continue to pay the rent). My understanding is that the eviction process takes a few months anyway at best, so I'd get what I wanted. I'm sure they'd harass us though, and I'd really not deal with that. Since we'll be owning going forward, I really don't care if my rental history looks bad.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City