Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 03:19 PM

9 posts, read 53,961 times

Advertisements

I am coming to New york for a few days in June, and my friends told me that the Bedford-Styvesant neighborhood off the A, C or G trains has some magnificent architecture. He also said, however, that it is a pretty seedy area and that I would be the only white person around, which would stick me out like a sore thumb. What I'm wondering is is it ok to go there for maybe an hour and snap some photos? Or is that out of the question. Keep in mind that I am from Santa Ana, CA and if anyone familiar with both areas could compare the crime from both those places I would love to know. Cause I can, will, and do put up with Santa Ana. Here's the dempgraphic data:

(W,B,H,A white black hispanic asian)
Bed-Stuy: 80%B 20%H
Santa Ana: 80%H 10%W 10%A
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2007, 04:09 PM

359 posts, read 2,592,581 times
Never been to Santa Ana but from what I hear its not the Greatest place but its also not that bad either. I would Bed-Sty would have a higher crime rate. Also what i know of Santa Ana is that it is a suburban city so there is less action. In Bed-Sty your going to be easy prey if someone did want to mug you (which is all i woudl be worried about unless you want be buy drugs) because it is more densley populated. If your coming to New York City for the first time then you shoudl definatley not go alone. Bed-sty definatley has great architecture but its not exactly the neighborhood a person unfamiliar with the area should just stop and look around. Maybe you want to visit Harlem its alot nice and basically the same architecture.

Old 05-23-2007, 06:54 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,873,403 times
You wouldn't be the only white person in Bed-Stuy but one of few. I would say that if you made the trip early in the day, especially before school gets out, you should be OK.

You can go into the area around Clinton-Washington Ave off the "A" line and be fine. It has a several colleges in the area and is a bit safer than down in the heart of BedStuy.

Old 05-23-2007, 07:49 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,797,474 times
Haha, who visits Bed-stuy too look at the old run down buildings. Haha.

It's a high crime area but I doubt you are going to be flashing money and slapping drug dealers so you shouldn't have too much of a problem. Best time to explore areas like that is before school lets out. Avoid night as well.

Old 05-23-2007, 09:01 PM

34,017 posts, read 47,240,427 times
you'll be ok just dont wander too far off of fulton street, and go during the day. best place to go for architecture is stuyvesant heights...take the A or C train to utica avenue and walk west on fulton street until u see brown street signs that means you're in a landmarked district.

Old 05-26-2007, 05:51 PM

9 posts, read 53,961 times
Should I be worried about walking around with a digital camera?

Old 05-27-2007, 03:13 AM

1,453 posts, read 4,929,134 times
What do you think? Posting the stats on the city you live in (or any city for that matter) does not give you any sort of street cred. This is the NYC forum not the Santa Ana forum and that was just ridiculous.

Old 05-27-2007, 11:45 AM

15 posts, read 74,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by senormucholoco View Post
Should I be worried about walking around with a digital camera?
Yeah dude. Something might happen if you look 'different'.

Try not to get rocked too hard.

Old 05-28-2007, 01:07 PM

359 posts, read 2,592,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyntmac View Post
What do you think? Posting the stats on the city you live in (or any city for that matter) does not give you any sort of street cred. This is the NYC forum not the Santa Ana forum and that was just ridiculous.
I think the poster was trying to show that hes used to being the minority in a city.

Old 05-28-2007, 06:50 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,929,134 times
Oh please. LOL.................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City