Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 12:50 PM

3 posts, read 22,487 times

Advertisements

and we are moving from texas at that... tho I am a NY native, I was pretty much raised in TX.. i really only spent my summers in NYC.. We are planning on moving out there by this summer (in 6-7 months)... My husband makes 90k a year... about 7,500-8,000 a month. He's in the union, which is international so he can easily be transferred and have work available to him. we want to live in brooklyn... maybe the clinton hill area.. we have a 3 and 4 year old, one who will be going to school the next school year and the other im considering putting in pre-k the next school year as well so i need to be in an area where my kids can go to good public schools.. will we make it?? we are considering selling our 1 car we own but then again, what if we want to leave the city
advice?!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 01:13 PM

176 posts, read 729,787 times
90k? This is before tax, it will be tough because taxes here in NY is insane. To be honest you'll need to get a job. While there are some good schools the majority of schools out here in NYC city including Brooklyn are not good which means you'll have to put your kids in private school. The class rooms out here are over crowded and I'm not sure if your kids would get use to that environment. My twins will go to school in about a year and half and so far the schools I've been looking at will cost us about 12k a year. Also you'll need a car with two small children, getting around with them will be easier I do not recommend you raising kids here without a car. Bus, Train crowding and the stress of carrying the kids. Are you looking to buy or rent? In a decent neighborhood for a family of four if you plan on renting lets say you want 2 bedroom in good area Clinton which is down town you will be paying 2-3k I could be low on that. Factor in utilities, food, school cost and NY high taxes it is very difficult. I dont mean to scare you but my husband and I combine make 175k we own a home half a million and have two kids. Raising kids here is tough because everything is expensive and what are considered good schools half the time doesnt fit your kids and you will fork out that money for private schools because you have to. 90k before tax and two kids you will not have the same life style you have now, you will be very poor getting by here. If you go in suburbs taxes will kill you. Can you get a job? If so you'll have to make decent money to off set for child care, there are so many things involved. Child care here is not cheap either. Let me put it this way my husband made 100k last year alone and that was not enough to live comfortably with two kids. We live in Brooklyn, he needs a car to get to work and so do I, plus child care and mortgage and you will not find a decent home for less than half a million and even that needs to be gutted to make it livable. Perhaps if you rent it be better? That means no back yard for kids and you have to take them to park for them to play. Good luck but honestly that salary will not make it here for same life style you're prob. use to unless you dont mind stepping below what you're used to than you'll do fine here.

Old 01-11-2010, 01:30 PM

403 posts, read 1,393,873 times
As crazy as it sounds, 90k isnt enough. Thats my income and with loan debt and such it can be really tight. I live in the city tho.

Old 01-11-2010, 01:38 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,656,890 times
I would not move to NYC with 2 young children and a salary of only $90k. You will struggle, big time.

That's $7,500 (don't know where you got 8 from) before taxes. After taxes (Married, 2 kids) you'll have approx. $5k/mo. That's before 401k/medical, etc deductions.

Rent will eat up at least half of that.

Old 01-11-2010, 02:23 PM

yes thats 90k after taxes... and we are planning to rent

Old 01-11-2010, 02:25 PM

we also were considering New Jersey

Old 01-11-2010, 02:28 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,728,847 times
you should get a job, IMO. two small kids...yeah, you should get a job.

Old 01-11-2010, 02:41 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
New Jersey sounds like a better bet for your situation.

Old 01-11-2010, 02:46 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,656,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessadavina View Post
yes thats 90k after taxes... and we are planning to rent
Ok what is it BEFORE taxes, because your taxes are going to go up. If you have children you'll make it much easier by living in the suburbs, Westchester would be a good bet too.

Old 01-11-2010, 05:42 PM

242 posts, read 1,184,333 times
I think you could make it on that, especially in Clinton Hill. That said, if you enjoy going out to high end restaurants and what not, it might be tight. There are plenty of cheap but good places in Clinton Hill. Also, private school would likely not be an option on that income. I live in Clinton Hill and my rent is $1295 for a one bedroom. I have seen/have friends who live in 3-4 bedroom places that run them between $1800 to $2400, with the nicer more family oriented apartments being on the higher end. I would say you definitely don't need more than one car either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City