U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 03:09 PM

277 posts, read 1,436,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biskit View Post
Most law grads do not make 150K out of law school in NYC. Maybe the top 10% of the top 10 law schools in the country earn $160K starting.

I've worked at some of the top law firms in NYC and .... none of our attorneys come in making less than 150K.......and not all of the students were at the top 10% of the top 10 law schools.

The reality is, you can be at the top 10% of a not so good school and still land a job paying 150K or more as an attorney.

This information came directly from our recruiting department. Not to mention I know a few of these people.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Most law grads do not make 150K out of law school in NYC. Maybe the top 10% of the top 10 law schools in the country earn $160K starting.

However, the OP is asking about paralegal salaries...not attorney salaries ....lets now loose focus on helping the OP with their question.

Old 04-27-2010, 04:34 PM

750 posts, read 2,302,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbatiste View Post
I've worked at some of the top law firms in NYC and .... none of our attorneys come in making less than 150K.......and not all of the students were at the top 10% of the top 10 law schools.

The reality is, you can be at the top 10% of a not so good school and still land a job paying 150K or more as an attorney.

This information came directly from our recruiting department. Not to mention I know a few of these people.
Yeah maybe 3 or 4 guys sneak in from a non top 10 law school, but just look on any big law firm website - the vast majority are from a top 10 school and these guys aren't the average students in those schools. There is no short supply of people wanting those high paying jobs so they can choose only the cream of the crop.

Old 04-27-2010, 05:11 PM

123 posts, read 472,427 times
I was a paralegal with a BigLaw firm (hunton & williams)for several years. Never really worried about my base pay because they worked the **** out me with overtime on long litigation cases. Certain teams (practice areas) will burn you out and the work becomes redundant. A college degree gets you a paralegal position. Experience gets you a nice salary.

Old 04-28-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Yeah maybe 3 or 4 guys sneak in from a non top 10 law school, but just look on any big law firm website - the vast majority are from a top 10 school and these guys aren't the average students in those schools. There is no short supply of people wanting those high paying jobs so they can choose only the cream of the crop.

Ok Biskit.

Maybe we should focus on helping the other person regarding paralegal pay rate as opposed to debating about "attorney salary".

Old 05-28-2010, 10:34 PM

6 posts, read 19,798 times
These people are nuts I've heard average Paralegals in NYC with a certificate or A.S makes around 67k.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:51 AM

1 posts, read 5,575 times
It seems like there are a number of factors that go into finding a good paralegal fit. Anybody happen to know of some good cities for this work? Thinking of moving to Maryland.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:20 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,602,113 times
I've worked in white shoe law firms and the legal departments of several top investment banks. Those kind of places won't even consider hiring a paralegal with a law degree. To them, a paralegal with a law degree is someone who couldn't pass the bar exam and thus a failure.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:40 AM

5 posts, read 14,942 times
I'm a senior paralegal (corporate securities) at a Big Law in NYC with 25 yrs experience. My base is $85K and with daily OT I made $142K last year. I was making $40K back in 1990 as the only paralegal/secretary at a small 5-attorney firm. It depends on the size and status of the firm and well as the practice area. Many larger, more prestigious firms will not hire entry level - here they require a minimum 10 yrs Big Law experience. At other large firms, entry level corporate paralegals I know make between $50K and $60K, litigation $45K-$55K. Other practice areas tend to only hire experienced, specialized paralegals. IP pays VERY well. And I've heard Maritime pays well if you can get it. Many smaller firms don't hire paralegals, they have newbie associates do the grunt work. The ones that do use paralegals pay less and you are generally used as a combination paralegal/legal secretary. And just FYI, new attorneys here start at $175K - it goes up if they're top % Ivy.

Old 07-09-2010, 05:20 AM

194 posts, read 582,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDQueen View Post
I'm a senior paralegal (corporate securities) at a Big Law in NYC with 25 yrs experience. My base is $85K and with daily OT I made $142K last year. I was making $40K back in 1990 as the only paralegal/secretary at a small 5-attorney firm. It depends on the size and status of the firm and well as the practice area. Many larger, more prestigious firms will not hire entry level - here they require a minimum 10 yrs Big Law experience. At other large firms, entry level corporate paralegals I know make between $50K and $60K, litigation $45K-$55K. Other practice areas tend to only hire experienced, specialized paralegals. IP pays VERY well. And I've heard Maritime pays well if you can get it. Many smaller firms don't hire paralegals, they have newbie associates do the grunt work. The ones that do use paralegals pay less and you are generally used as a combination paralegal/legal secretary. And just FYI, new attorneys here start at $175K - it goes up if they're top % Ivy.
This is interesting.

I was a paralegal years and years ago - worked as an assistant case manager in litigation at a huge Park Ave. firm (as a temp for 3 years; they wanted to hire me, but I knew I was going to grad school, so declined). I'm now an assistant professor (in something totally unrelated to law), hate my job, and make garbage money. So when I see that an entry-level corporate paralegal makes $50-60K (more than me), I start thinking, very seriously, that I want to come back.

My problems are a) I've been out of the field for so long, I'm absolutely certain I have none of the computer skills necessary (not that I couldn't learn them quickly, but they're not at hand), and b) I'm not young, and worry that firms are going to want fresh blood, not what they assume to be tired blood.

Do you think these obstacles can be overcome - meaning, could I be a viable candidate? Is age a huge impediment? Do IP paralegals make the most - and how long would it take to get up to, say, $70K? And is the overtime as insane as I remember? (That's part of the reason I left - I burnt out.)

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City