Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 09:59 AM

315 posts, read 871,191 times

Advertisements

Now that I got your attention- - Go Chargers!!!

How many days till pitchers and catchers??
good luck,
A Yankee Fan
- - - - - - - - -
I think NY is more of a baseball town anyway- like Boston, LA,maybe Chicago, St.Louis
Places like Pittsburgh, All Of Texas, Alanta, Miami, Philly might be more of a Football scene
If I had to Guess- I think Detroit (Hockeytown USA-its been known as)- Buffalo,Minn- along with every place in Canada,
Basketball probably overlaps -I dont think Basketball is the king of any town- -except college,s Tobacco road( Carolina,s)

Anythoughts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 10:52 AM

445 posts, read 1,448,231 times
I agree with you. I think NYC is more of a baseball town, like Chicago and Boston. I base this on people I know and conversations I hear on the street.

I don't really think of LA as a baseball town. So many of the fans seem to arrive in the 3rd and leave by the 6th.

Old 01-17-2010, 11:13 AM

922 posts, read 3,860,320 times
I'd also agree that baseball is #1 here, followed by football.

Hockey in NYC is sort of a "niche" sport that is not followed closely by most people, but the huge population base provides enough fans to fill the arenas.

Detroit, Buffalo and Pittsburgh are definitely hockey towns, meaning that just about everyone follows the team. Detroit and Buffalo both have good hockey teams and awful football teams, so that helps. In my hometown of Buffalo the Bills have been so disappointing since their early 90s heyday that the Sabres probably have a bigger and more loyal fan base at this point.

Pittsburgh is equally nuts about both hockey and football due to the winning traditions of both the Steelers and Penguins. Pittsburgh won both the Superbowl and the Stanley Cup in 2009!

Old 01-17-2010, 12:57 PM

144 posts, read 463,789 times
although knicks arent great, i say basketbal in terms of playing by wide margin. but interms of watching i say football among 15-40s and baseball for the older demographic.

Old 01-17-2010, 05:03 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
NYC is no where near a football town even though football media outlets and the NFL headquarters are located here in NY and we have 2 NFL football teams. This city is mostly a Baseball and a Basketball town. Most male youths first sports activity here in ny is either playing baseball on the street or basketball. In Manhattan football is worse, you see lots Euronized Americans and also euro migrants and immigrants rocking uefa soccer shirts. Also in parts of this city soccer is more popular then football like in queens and in midtown. If your looking to hang around some football jocks in a football town NYC is not the place try the south or the midwest were football is king.

Old 01-18-2010, 02:39 AM

151 posts, read 132,725 times
I think that NYC is more of a baseball city too.

But, NYC really supports all 4 major sports. NHL here is bigger than most other cities.

Old 01-18-2010, 05:47 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
New York has always been a baseball town. The thing is, is such a big city, that the degree to which people are passionate about other sports doesn't get recognized.

Besides, let's face facts: look at the calendar. There's no baseball being played at present, and the Jets have just advanced to the AFC championship game. Baseball...what's baseball?

Old 01-18-2010, 07:36 AM

904 posts, read 2,872,141 times
Yeah, in NYC, baseball is king. It's one of the few cities in the country about which that can can still be said (others are probably Boston, Chicago and St. Louis).

I'd actually say that basketball is bigger here than football, but the Knicks have been such a joke for so long now (though they're a little better this year) that that's been kind of dormant lately.

Old 01-18-2010, 05:02 PM

182 posts, read 511,664 times
i'd say baseball for sure...once the knicks are relevant again, they seem to be a huge draw.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:31 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,994,339 times
Default handball/baseball

For actual activity handball is the king New York game and true local sport. More kids/adults play pick-up games of handball than anything else including basketball. Handball is a superior sport to any of the team games televised nationwide. This game require keen hand eye coordination, superior fitness and is a solid test of athletic prowess.

For televised fan/coach potato sports this is a baseball town. The endless drivel about baseball exceeds anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City