U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-17-2006, 03:55 PM

8 posts, read 60,574 times

Advertisements

Working For The Nypd Today Is A Joke....i Just Retired After 20 Years..they Start You Off Today At $25,000...it's A Disgrace......and "the Job" Has Changed Alot....hope You Dont Mind Being Treated Like A Child For The Next 20 Years Because Thats What Awaits You....take My Advice...the Nyc Fire Department Is Currently Hiring.... And Aggressively By The Way...apply For That Exam In January 2007, I Believe....you Be Well Trained,treated With Respect And Genuinely Appreciated And Loved By Your Comrades...like In A Family...in The Nypd You Will Have To Watch Out For Yourself And Take The Knives Out Of Your Back Placed There By Your Comrades And Supervisors...oh And By The Way Keep An Eye Out On How They Take Care Of The 9/11 Workers Who Are Now Sick And Dying....what A Joke....shame On You Nyc And Government.....
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2006, 05:32 PM

42 posts, read 101,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFL View Post
Good morning, I had a question for you guys.
I currently live in Florida, and in January my fiance and I are going to be moving to the NYC/LI area.

We wanted to know of some nice/"cheaper"(if there is such a thing) places to rent an apartment so we can get settled in. I will be employed with the City of New York as a Police Officer, so obviously I would not be making alot of money, and my fiance currently works here in a bank as a teller. I do not know how much that pays up there.

I appreciate any of the help I can get...Thank you
ChrisFL -

Best of Luck with your move. NY is a great place.
Upstate NY is a beautiful!

BTW - beware of all those obnoxious and nasty people in NY (LOL - it's a joke).
It's all I keep reading about on the Forum from many southerners.

I didn't know so many southerners have such anger towards northerners . . . So Sad!

I just read one today from "Floridian Native" - she is so disgusted with northerners they are moving to NC - in hopes they will not have to move again in 10 years, away from NYer's. Sounds to me like she will be running for a long time.

I've been in FL for 2 years and it's not where I want to be, so I'm moving.
There is no sense staying where you don't want to be.

If I've learned anything from threads that I've read - it's how horrible it sounds when the south is trashing the north and vice versa. We're all one nation.
It's sure doesn't sound like it.

(I'll be honest, I've had my fair share of venting about the south, but reading day after day about how "we" are better than "you" - it made me realize how negative it all sounds and so instead of staying and complaining, I'm moving on).

LBNY

Last edited by LBNY; 09-17-2006 at 05:56 PM..

Old 09-17-2006, 06:38 PM

2 posts, read 4,592 times
Hi ya Chris in Fl!
I just moved to Florida from Long Island. We left not because we didn't love our New York, but because of the enormous tax bill for my home, and fuel costs. You are correct, Florida is expensive now. I cannot believe the insurance rates! I am now looking into moving to North Carolina. My advice to you, Chris.. Number one.. If possible, go for Suffolk County Police. They make WAY more money than the poor officers in NYC. You will be sitting pretty with that job. Long Island rentals run about 1,500 to 2,500 a month. Usually it is in someone's basement. There aren't too many appartment buildings there. There are nice neighborhoods in Queens and Brooklyn. The commute would be much easier for you too.
Bay Ridge, Bensonhurst, (my childhood home), are nice neighborhoods in Brooklyn. It will take you about 35-60 minutes from these locations to NYC. I am not sure about Queens.. Queens is nice and it is closer to the city.
If you want.. Go to [url]www.livingchoices.Com[/url] They give you houses mostly but also tell you about neighborhood demographics. Click on map this and then neighborhood information. That is how I found my beautiful home in Florida. I wish you luck in your move. I know it can be scary.. I am experiencing it myself.. Wish I could go back with you.. I loved growing up in the greatest city in the United States. I miss it already.
Take care.. If you have any more questions.. You can email me at [email]Octobermoon17@Optonline.Net[/email] Good luck!
Oh and in response to the lady moving to NC because she hates New Yorkers..
PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF (That is the Bronx cheer in case ya don't know!)
By the way.. If you read this New York hater.. We are moving to NC too.. We may even be neighbors! How about that? Hee.. hee

Old 08-24-2007, 08:50 PM

3 posts, read 10,573 times
Hey Now!

I'm a transplant from California, who has been living in Syracuse, New York for the past year and a half...and I hate it!!! The only thing I love about New York is NYC and The Mets! I run the front end of an small but lucrative dental practice, and have been secretly planning to move by next spring. I've got in my mind that moving back to the west coast is probably the best thing for me to do but it pains me to move 3000 miles away from NYC....soooo, I am actually thinking about the pros and cons of moving somewhere fairly close to Manhattan. I think that though the rent is more expensive in the city, the wages are higher, and I believe I could find a decent job, but I'm more concerned with finding a place to live. I would LOVE to ditch my car payment, and get back in shape with a bicycle or just walking. I love the museums in New York, and when I look at the museums in Seattle (where I'm considering moving,) there's absolutely no comparison.

The thing is...I'm a total hippie. I'm a smart, artsy sort of hippie who enjoys organic foods, co-ops, playing with my black lab, acoustic music, the ocean, and unconventional living among other things. What I cannot stand about Syracuse is how conventional life is here. Do you think NYC could accommodate my being? Or do you think I should just go back to the west coast where life is more my pace. I was born and raised in SF, but I lived in Humboldt Co. (hippie capital of the country), for almost 6 years before moving to NY.

All opinions welcome.

Thanks!
Heather

Old 08-24-2007, 09:12 PM

2,357 posts, read 6,425,638 times
estimated_eyes, I feel sorry for you. Since you live in the city, I bet you're surrounded by white trash, hicks, the elderly, and hoodlums. You're not the type of person that fits in with Syracuse. This city is geared to suburban families...as you say "conventional". So unless you grew up in Upstate NY or want to raise a family in the suburbs, you probably wouldn't like it. Heck, if I didn't grow up in the area, I'd much rather live in a booming prosperous city.

That's why I want my city to change so much. I want my hometown to change into my image, instead of doing what so many others have done and move to away to a city that's always growing bigger and better. Like I've said previously, it's easy to cheer for the #1 Football team that is always winning. I'd rather cheer for my hometown team that is having a bad season and hopefully will start "winning" more often in the near future.

Old 08-25-2007, 08:35 AM

10 posts, read 39,460 times
Hi there-
I used to live upstate as well for college. It was fun for a while but moved back down here because of reasons u stated. Why don't u check out Sea Cliff, Long Island (western long island). Its a train ride away to NYC. Much cheaper than NYC but definately not as cheap as syracuse. Its located right on the LI Sound. Very artsy. Natalie Portman has a summer house there (well I think she recently sold it). anyway, do some research on it and let me know if you have any interest or questions. I love a town away from Sea Cliff. Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City